One To Watch | Simracing604 On The Best Sounding Racing Sim

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The awesome Simracing604 has been at it again today, releasing an interesting new video as he looks to compare audio of two popular, and widely regarded as best sounding, racing simulations.

In this new video, the smooth tones of Mike at Simracing604 looks into the topic of racing car engine audio representations in two specific simulations - RaceRoom Racing Experience and Assetto Corsa Competizione - both widely regarded by the sim racing community as at the very peak of audio excellence in our genre.

Mike explores how both games represent the virtual counterparts they are attempting to simulate, and ponders that all important question - which one is best?

Want to see more from Simracing604? Check out his excellent YouTube channel: click here.

Raceroom Racing Experience Screenshot 2020.11.30 - 05.45.03.38.jpg

Both sims are great depending on which car you choose. BMW M6 in ACC sounds more realistic (correct gearbox sound) while Bentley sounds more realistic in RaceRoom (except gearbox sound). It's a pity you didn't mention the WTCC and WTCR class, which NO OTHER sim on the market except RaceRoom has. In these classes, the RaceRoom sound is a masterpiece!!!

Ps. In terms of sounds, there is still a lot to do and I hope that both sims will improve sound positioning in 5.1, 7.1 multi-channel systems. I miss the positioning of Automobilista 1. On a perfectly calibrated system, the sound of the engine is always heard more from the front, regardless of whether you are driving a Mercedes or a Porsche. It should not be like that...

Last edited:
Thank you for this excellent video comparison.

To me, it clearly shows how fortunate we are to have fantastic sound in modern SIM's, as I also appreciate the sound in AC, both official and mods and also the sound in AMS2.

As to which one I prefer between R3E and ACC, I like them both, to me R3E is rounder, dare I say more analog, :redface:, and ACC is more alive, crispier but also more synthetic, dare I say more digital, :redface::redface:
I am not the one for replay, so 99% of my sound SIM experience is inboard in VR.
If all aspect of SIM racing in 2020 was as good as the sounds we are getting, SIM racing would be even more immersive than it already is, most developers have it nailed in my book.

Haven't watched the video yet, but from my experience, ACC is probably my favorite overall but iRacing's sounds are also very good as well, especially since they started adding more environmental and paddock sounds in the mix. R3E was the best for a long time but I don't know if that still holds true today.

Edit: didn't realise only ACC and R3E were the ones being compared...but I still stand by my statement though; especially in that video ACC has more nuance and depth to the engine growl and the track sounds (curbs, gravel) are more defined (whether that's true to life or not I don't know). R3E definitely has more weight in the low end, but ACC is more balanced and beats it in the midrange details.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I like regular Assetto Corsa, furthermore I demand a law that legally requires all car manufacturers to have their past and present car lineup to be present in AC as mods.
Fonsecker mod was very good, also the latest RSS GTM Lanzo (Lambo) is pure music to the ears.
Both ACC and R3E feature great sound, nothing to complain really, just different presentation.

ACC's sounds still receiving a bathroom reverb effect, although the samples sound great, can't beat raceroom for me. I understand why Kunos did that but it is not the right reverb setting imo.

I haven't noticed that some samples in raceroom have received the same bathroom reverb treatment though. I heard one in this video. Maybe it's because I've watched it on my phone, but mixing sounds with that much difference of reverb is not good.

Last edited:
I would tend to vote for R3E, but there is too much reverb for my taste.
For me both are currently at the top, no need to crown ONE winner as they mostly cater to different audiences anyway.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 142 13.7%