One To Watch | Simracing604 On How To Correctly Set FOV

I've found the 'correct" fov to be about the least immersive setting I can make on my system.My brain doesn't accept that as comparable to sitting in a car (well maybe if I was in the habit of holding my face against the actual windscreen in my car when I drive)

Running approx 45 on my 49" ultradwide.

And no, I wont be setting world records in any fov setting, That's not what I strive for to get my enjoyment from a sim.(just re-read this and even I can see I've just tried to put some spin on the fact that I'm slow....lmao)

Last edited:
I got those, 3x curved 32", making up about 170% screen around me.
Still FOV is so important.
When it's done just right, suddenly 2D changes in almost 3D.
Because your brain get tricked, as the dimensions and sense of speed are exactly right.
If the FOV is off even slighly the image is less immersive.
Your brain knows it's looking at a screen.
We all have our eyes and brain slightly different, so you just need to spend a few hours tweaking it.
But when it's there it feels so much more natural.
Yes I agree with you, I said 180 degrees or more, but 170 or even a bit less will do, to set the FOV correct to get what you describe. My point is, if you only have a single screen with limited dimensions, FOV settings will always be a compromise.

Rather than messing around with measurements I've always used the following method for FOV:-

Set the view options to show the in game steering wheel, if it isn't setup to do so already. Then adjust FOV settings until the in game wheel approximately matches the size of your FFB wheel from your viewpoint, then you're pretty much good to go.

That said I'm not an FOV purist as sometimes having the correct FOV can be quite restrictive, and it actually detracts from the immersion rather than adds to it, so there's always an element of adjust to taste involved.

How does the VR crowd deal with having to use their button boxes or keyboards etc. mid-race?

How does the VR crowd deal with having to use their button boxes or keyboards etc. mid-race?

Hi, just by affecting the keys on the steering wheel, I don't even realize it anymore, it's so simple. For the FOV, the first time (then it's recorded) that I use a new car I move my view with the arrows of the keyboard on the "virtual shot" of my avatard. I look down, until I see my body (very thin;)) as in reality (less thin;)). It's Top of Top. VR costs less than triple screen to answer another person. I have a 1080TI and a Rift S oculus, no need for more to have a perfect refresh rate on Automobilista 2 or Assetto for example. Frankly it's worth the investment. Everything becomes so immersive! We really see the depth, as in reality since the two screens return a different image in each eye, as in reality. And no more worries about FOV! The biggest slap of my life on simulator and I am simracer since GP1 of Microprose! (and before on Atari 2600 but does that matter ???;)

Or how to deal with a wet race.... of face sweat. Less issues with buttons, but none turned on HMD wipers =/

Fun, but more seriously I don't sweat in the helmet, even after hours, and never get sick, even though I back and forth several times in a row. You just need a can practice and then you're good to go. The human brain accommodates many things.

One of the many problems with VR as it currently is implemented (exterior camera has poor resolution for viewing ... I know from personal experience at least with Rift/RiftS ). The VR immersion factor is great if you can live with all of its' other video/hardware shortcomings ... just look at all the issues VR users keep bringing up on this and other forums/websites plus it appears more and more endurance/long session simracers are returning to screens due to fatigue/strain factors.
All of this Single (W/UW/Super UW), Triple Screen, TrackIR and VR is still all a matter of personal preference/budget/space. :coffee:

Excuse me, but a sim is a sim, I've never seen Aerton Senna drive his car from the outside! ;) In the normal view (inside the car) I have none of the concerns you describe.

Fun, but more seriously I don't sweat in the helmet, even after hours, and never get sick, even though I back and forth several times in a row. You just need a can practice and then you're good to go. The human brain accommodates many things.

I ever only got queasy doing a space flight intro level... in an indoor environment. I could only bear it like a minute at most. Other than that, never any issues. And I wipe out plenty again AI :)

Also, somehow VR doesn't seem too 3D to me after the initial 1st time experience. Maybe I just have a defective brain. (nothing wrong with my eyesight or depth perception IRL). Or, indeed, I got used to it too quickly.

But lenses getting foggy is an issue sometimes.

I ever only got queasy doing a space flight intro level... in an indoor environment. I could only bear it like a minute at most. Other than that, never any issues. And I wipe out plenty again AI :)

Also, somehow VR doesn't seem too 3D to me after the initial 1st time experience. Maybe I just have a defective brain. (nothing wrong with my eyesight or depth perception IRL). Or, indeed, I got used to it too quickly.

But lenses getting foggy is an issue sometimes.

Don't insist, you have an allergy to VR, as you say your brain must be deficient for this kind of technology. Good continuation anyway, there are many other ways to have fun! ;)

Last edited:
Excuse me, but a sim is a sim, I've never seen Aerton Senna drive his car from the outside! ;) In the normal view (inside the car) I have none of the concerns you describe.
I think you confused my exterior camera statement :whistling: (Rift S exterior cameras can be used to look around in your actual environment, while in the sim ... and are b/w low resolution :thumbsdown:) with driving with an external view of the car (Not my cup of tea :speechless: Helmet view please). Try a 2-3 hr session in an endurance/relay race with/without vr and tell me which one is more comfortable.

P.S. if you are really driving for several hours non-stop without removing your headset ... lucky you :thumbsup: . I have a Rift and a Rift S :cry:, I just cannot get over the screen door effect& small sweet spot :( (prefer my 34" UW 3440X1440 w/ TIR) and not having easy access to my external button boxes for other than what is mapped to the wheel) :)
P.P.S. I started out with a 27" 2560x1440 set to the correct FOV± and found when I supplemented it with TrackIR my actual/perceived/useable ??? FOV was much wider. You have to experience it to see/believe it. :coffee:

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC .... :):):) Correct FOV (VR does not apply)

Last edited:
Then, VR! everything is exactly the way it should, perfect fov in 3 dimensions. You suddenly realized how foolish the quest for "perfect" compromise FOV was, how much time you wasted that you could have used just enjoying your racing game. :)
There are plenty of factors (including both software and hardware) which will cause VR FoV to be less than perfect.

I've found the 'correct" fov to be about the least immersive setting I can make on my system.My brain doesn't accept that as comparable to sitting in a car (well maybe if I was in the habit of holding my face against the actual windscreen in my car when I drive)

Running approx 45 on my 49" ultradwide.

And no, I wont be setting world records in any fov setting, That's not what I strive for to get my enjoyment from a sim.(just re-read this and even I can see I've just tried to put some spin on the fact that I'm slow....lmao)
2 part question on your 45 setting:
a) Is horizontal or vertical
b) what is the distance from eyes to the screen

TIA

Curiousity, since 45 degree seems to indicate that you are sitting about 4' away (seems pretty far) if is horizontal or 16" away if is vertical (seems very close) .... Like I said just curious

All it indicates is this is what suits me. This pic isn't a great representation as in order to get the screen in shot I had to be behind and above the headrest on the chair. When seated the wheel lines up with the dials on the dash. The body of the wheel housing is pretty much hard up to the screen.
IMG_20201209_200014.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't care about going fast, accuracy or setting world records (a few here) then FOV to you might not mean much. Does your FOV look like you have four foot long arms? :D :D :D
Lol, if you're aiming for WR, you play in 3rd person.

FOV is simply for having higher simulation value. Although, the driving feel & feedback still fail.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 159 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%