One To Watch | Simracing604 On How To Correctly Set FOV

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Scientifically simple to do but in practice something of a challenge it seems, Mike over at Simracing604 has produced a very useful video about how to properly set your FOV in sim racing.

What is FOV? Well put simply it is the scale, or 'Field of View' in which you see the gaming world through your monitor. Set it wrong and you can experience feelings such as exaggerated speed effect, a narrower view of the cockpit and track that is ideal, and generally a less than perfect gameplay experience. Set it right, and you've got yourself an entirely more believable view of your favourite games, often making it much easier to control your car properly and achieve good laptimes - never mind the improved immersion.

So, sit back, relax and let the smooth tones of Simracing604 guide you through the process...

Want to see more from Simracing604? Check out his excellent YouTube channel: click here.

SIM604_BANNER.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-12-07-06h29m11s051.jpg

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-12-07-06h30m18s477.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-12-07-06h30m18s477.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 500
  • vlcsnap-2020-12-07-06h30m51s976.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-12-07-06h30m51s976.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Good video. Another factor to consider is visual acuity (https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator). Combine a proper FOV with a proper viewing distance, supplemented with head tracking and you have a very good/immersive driving experience for single screen users.

These were the reasons I ended up with a UW 34" 3440x1440 at 22-23 " viewing distance for the widest possible ideal FOV (34 °) supplemented with TrackIR to look to apex, dash and mirrors. ;)

Last edited:
I have been using VR for years, but I remember back in the days, FOV was a hot topic, getting the "perfect" compromise between unbearable distortion and driving from a porthole, feeling like playing a game looking for the unattainable immersive feeling. Yes, those were the days.:sneaky:
Then, VR! everything is exactly the way it should, perfect fov in 3 dimensions. You suddenly realized how foolish the quest for "perfect" compromise FOV was, how much time you wasted that you could have used just enjoying your racing game. :)
Still a conversation in 2020? Time stands still for some of us.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I have been using VR for years, but I remember back in the days, FOV was a hot topic, getting the "perfect" compromise between unbearable distortion and driving from a porthole, feeling like playing a game looking for the unattainable immersive feeling. Yes, those were the days.:sneaky:
Then, VR! everything is exactly the way it should, perfect fov in 3 dimensions. You suddenly realized how foolish the quest for "perfect" compromise FOV was, how much time you wasted that you could have used just enjoying your racing game. :)
Still a conversation in 2020? Time stands still for some of us.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Not all of us have the high income to supplement VR. Time goes on but the technology is still a relatively hefty investment.

Usually set it so the top third of the wheel is visible. Close, but not too close. Not right up on the dash like how I see some racers, and not totally leaned back like others where you can even see the arms.

How does the VR crowd deal with having to use their button boxes or keyboards etc. mid-race?
One of the many problems with VR as it currently is implemented (exterior camera has poor resolution for viewing ... I know from personal experience at least with Rift/RiftS ). The VR immersion factor is great if you can live with all of its' other video/hardware shortcomings ... just look at all the issues VR users keep bringing up on this and other forums/websites plus it appears more and more endurance/long session simracers are returning to screens due to fatigue/strain factors.
All of this Single (W/UW/Super UW), Triple Screen, TrackIR and VR is still all a matter of personal preference/budget/space. :coffee:

Last edited:
Just buy the largest display you can afford (and have enough space for it) and get as close to it as possible. Then set the FOV that you like. It almost always remains a compromise, unless you have multiple monitors (or projectors) with 180 degrees or more view.
I got those, 3x curved 32", making up about 170% screen around me.
Still FOV is so important.
When it's done just right, suddenly 2D changes in almost 3D.
Because your brain get tricked, as the dimensions and sense of speed are exactly right.
If the FOV is off even slighly the image is less immersive.
Your brain knows it's looking at a screen.
We all have our eyes and brain slightly different, so you just need to spend a few hours tweaking it.
But when it's there it feels so much more natural.

Last edited:
I personally think all this talk about getting the FOV mathematically correct is just rubbish.
I ran with the mathematically correct FOV for a year or so, but it was incredibly narrow and I lost a bunch of time just by not being able to see the track. I started setting it to something I felt was comfortable but not super wide, and now I'm more in control of the car and generally more comfortable.

Seriously, not sure why everyone goes crazy over FOV.

I personally think all this talk about getting the FOV mathematically correct is just rubbish.
I ran with the mathematically correct FOV for a year or so, but it was incredibly narrow and I lost a bunch of time just by not being able to see the track. I started setting it to something I felt was comfortable but not super wide, and now I'm more in control of the car and generally more comfortable.

Seriously, not sure why everyone goes crazy over FOV.

If you don't care about going fast, accuracy or setting world records (a few here) then FOV to you might not mean much. Does your FOV look like you have four foot long arms? :D :D :D

If you don't care about going fast, accuracy or setting world records (a few here) then FOV to you might not mean much. Does your FOV look like you have four foot long arms? :D :D :D
Actually no; On the flip side, my "correct" FOV makes it look like I'm racing out a mailbox. I've gone for around the 40degree vFOV mark, or 60degree hFOV for games that use that input (AMS2). It helps me be able to better see apexes, turn in, and in my experience has not resulted in any less ability to control the car. But hey, what do I know? I'm just some kid on a forum

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 481 38.9%