One To Watch | Fun Things To Do In Sim Racing by Mike at Simracing604

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Lockdown got you all demotivated and fed up? Looking for some inspiration? Well, Mike at Simracing604 has you covered it seems, with his latest video 'Forget Lockdown; Let's Race! - 7 Fun Things to Try'!

Yes dear reader, sim racing is a many sided beast that is often much more than the simple action of loading up a track and car combination, and as ever the smooth tones of Simracing604 work wonders on highlighting some of those fun things you can do in the virtual world!

Sideways on the rally stage, sideways on the arcade spectrum, sideways because you've been pushed that way by a rival, or sideways because, hey, sideways is cool! The choices (not limited to just sideways btw) are near endless, and once again goes to show just how incredible our virtual motorsport hobby really is..

vlcsnap-2021-01-18-05h38m08s806.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-01-18-05h39m04s634.jpg

Want to see more from Simracing604? Check out his excellent YouTube channel: click here.

Last edited:
One of my lockdown favourites is a 10 lap oval race at Rockingham Oval in Live For Speed. Half the field minis, the other half Formula One cars, and you in an F1 car. The mayhem is magnificent. When you inevitably crash, you can hobble back to the pits and still win if you are very, very lucky.

Pro tip: Put the F1 cars in the front half of the grid for maximum destruction, and NEVER GIVE UP. I have won races with three or more 60 second pitstops.

Must be ten laps, any less you can't recover, any more it's too easy.

Last edited:
Absolutely not sim related but for pure fun as some of the great video posted above mentions, I would recommend having a blast on Mini Motors in VR! It’s a wonderful game, really good fun to drive and take some skill to master. If your old enough to remember Skidmarks on the Amiga, it’s like that in a wonderful VR world

Absolutely not sim related but for pure fun as some of the great video posted above mentions, I would recommend having a blast on Mini Motors in VR! It’s a wonderful game, really good fun to drive and take some skill to master. If your old enough to remember Skidmarks on the Amiga, it’s like that in a wonderful VR world

Bought ;)

Might be a bit off the track but anyway I find it somehow related to the topic.
Just 5 mins before this thread hit me, YT suggested me some motivating simrig improvements:
At least it seems related to the word "fun":inlove:
big thumbs up! cool, i remember us using that stage in the early versions of the rd rally championship. really liked it, but it was over so fast. wasn't there a blonde greeting you at the end of the stage, very politically incorrect?

I've personally had a lot of fun getting back into American Truck Simulator recently, and the map DLCs are fantastic. Plus, they've updated old parts of the map, so it's a nice, relaxing exploration game that can get intense depending on if you're hauling something heavy over a mountain road.

Since it's Daytona time I am going to redownload Project CARS 2, since only it has decent Daytona if we take iRacing out of the equation, have a bunch of fun, realize I want to try other things, realize the sim is incredibly inconsistent, get fed up with it and delete it, for the 10th or so time :D Or maybe I find "the One" FFB mod?

I have always used simracing as a way to have fun with friends.
i still remember how back in the day me and 3 other friends would play GT6 and do all sort of challenges. One of our favourite challenges was the "budget races". We specified a maximum amount of money to buy and modify a car, and then do a number of events. Snow, drag race, rallycross and of course a circuit race.

Simracing is a brilliant way to meet new people too. That is why I love to be talking when racing. Racing almost becomes as a second thought as you get to know everyone else in the race.

Last edited:
... I wish I actually had some more time now, but our company successfully transitioned to working from home, so no free time :(
same here, the time i "win" by not having to commute i spend working out because otherwise it would really just be: get up - breakfast - go to office chair - lunch - go to office chair - dine - relax (book, film, game, hobby) - bed. so, really, not much more time to play a game, but i never jogged/ran as many miles as last year, lol.

Well one game that I play during the lockdown that is not regular sim racing is good old King of the Road https://www.gog.com/game/hard_truck_2_king_of_the_road . For me it is way more fun than Euro truck or American truck sim just because it has physics and AI cars have minds of their own and do all types of crazy driving:] Also finally it got mods adding new cars, new shortcuts and other stuff. I wish there was a modern version of this game.

MrBraindown

Premium
I've started doing NASCAR on rFactor2, a lot of NASCAR. Being a typical Englishman, it's not exactly hardwired into my racing DNA, but I like watching Matt Malone stream it, albeit on iRacing. Boy, is it a lot more fun than I ever imagined.

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 41 9.8%