Alright when was that again.....?

Well, those YT videos are not exactly new? Watched them years ago I reckon, but maybe newly edited?
Been almost maniac about historic abandoned racing circuits for decades and hunted the most 'forgotten' on vacation trips round Europe and always got away with an excuse to leave the main path :D
Think first time for me was the old Charade circuit (think it was in '86) and a couple of weeks later on hometrip also Rouen-Les-Essarts.
And then 20 years later witnessing simracing modders actually being able to do some fine realistic jobs has been absolutely fantastic.
The last I visited (physically) was the defunked oval at Sitges south of Barcelona after being driving it like crazy in rFactor.

And speaking simracing that's been the main reason for me simracing the last couple of decades. To re-enter the abandoned and deceased tracks, both sim-wise and IRL.
So for me, the abandoned track history is two-sided for me.

BTW: hope I'll be able to simrace at the long time deceased but for drivers by that time infamous CDR in Colorado in a Scarab-Chevrolet soon :cool: Nobody speaks about CDR today. At least not here in Europe. So bring it back please :)

Last edited:
Happened upon Circuit de Gueux completely randomly while driving through France a few years ago...

1599561304145.png

i own a great book on forgotten tracks called:
Autodrome: The Lost Race Circuits of Europe (Veloce Classic Reprint Series)
It's a must-read for anyone interested in the topic. A second book was in the works but seems to have been abandoned (which is sort of ironic considering then topic).

There are a lot of these kinds of videos on the net. Probably because there are so many forgotten circuits. ~10 years ago i was researching a lot to bring some of these forgotten circuits into simracing. There are so many hidden treasures, you just need to search for them. ;)

Great post this one! So many great circuits gone. Fortunately we can still virtually race in some of them!

I can't let the opportunity go without mentioning my favorite circuit; Circuito Guadalope in Alcañiz (Spain). Very fast and quite technical street circuit that was active from 1965 to 2003. A video for you to have a look:

There are a lot of these kinds of videos on the net. Probably because there are so many forgotten circuits. ~10 years ago i was researching a lot to bring some of these forgotten circuits into simracing. There are so many hidden treasures, you just need to search for them. ;)

I can't remember the name of the channel. Although I'm not a huge NASCAR fan someone did some great videos of abandoned or just completely vanished tracks. Most of which were just bonkers in speed and length! :)

I have watched most of these videos. I've been to Brooklands about half a dozen times when the Mazda RX7 club used to go there, got to park the car on the banking, a great experience and again the circuit and size of it just beggars belief. It's a cheap day out so if you are in the area please pay a visit and support the museum with a few pounds.

It saddens me the way the track was chopped up though, I sometimes wonder if that sort of thing would have happened to such a historic racing site now. Maybe it would've done being so close to major cities (and housing is needed).

Probably due to my age but the one video that did make me a bit emotional (just a tiny bit) was Hockenheim. A track I remember watching in the 90's as a true temple of speed with the V8's, V10's, and V12's screaming away.

To see it all gone, dug up and turned into a trading estate is a real shame, however land is valuable so I guess that's just the way it is sometimes.

These videos are cool though and I do enjoy them every so often, some incredible circuits.

Last edited:
BTW: hope I'll be able to simrace at the long time deceased but for drivers by that time infamous CDR in Colorado in a Scarab-Chevrolet soon :cool: Nobody speaks about CDR today. At least not here in Europe. So bring it back please :)

I know CDR! I used to live in Castle Rock, so the CDR site was less than a 10 minute drive from my house. As I'm sure you probably know, you can still see the track layout really well on Google maps satellite view, but residential construction is rapidly encroaching. :cry:

I've been to the site a couple times, but you really can't see anything from ground level (or at least I couldn't). I haven't been down there in a few years...there is a possibility it's already houses at this point, sadly. If I get some time this weekend, I might drive down there (it's still only about 30 mins away for me) with a camera and see if I can see anything at all left.

The setting is absolutely amazing - the track abuts right up to some low foothills which must have reverberated the engine noise gloriously.

As for the YouTube channel, I'll definitely be subscribing! I'm a sucker for this stuff. I have a couple books by one time SCCA official historian Pete Hylton - "Ghost Tracks" and "More Ghost Tracks". Really fascinating stuff!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 93 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 69 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 101 13.7%