One handed driving...

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
This is a habit I am desperately trying to break as taking the sharper bends is a lot better with both hands on the wheel (feeding the wheel)...it is a habit I picked up before I passed my driving test IRL (31 years ago lol and I still remember my instructor bollocking me for it) and I just cant shake it.
Being a Brit I have my rig setup for right hand driving, using the left hand to shift but I tend to just leave my left hand on the gear stick...very naughty...I REALLY need to break this habit lol.
Regards

do people still feed the wheel more than a year after passing their test?!?

In AC both my hands are usually in a fixed place and rarely need to apply more than 90 degrees either side, feeding would just slow it down

What would Freud say about people who like to leave their hand, firmly gripping a protruding knob that throbs along with the transmission of their powerful automobile?

(Probably: "Sometimes a shift knob is just a shift knob. Now pass the cocaine, Bubby.)

do people still feed the wheel more than a year after passing their test?!?

In AC both my hands are usually in a fixed place and rarely need to apply more than 90 degrees either side, feeding would just slow it down

I learned to shuffle steer from my AutoX instructor, I do it at AutoX events, every day in my car, and even in sims sometimes (but like you said, in sims I rarely need to turn my wheel enough to necessitate it).

Yeah I usually have a tight steering wheel but I was just trying out some advice that was given out during last wednesdays rookie event...about having as much turn as possible on your wheel....i.e the full 900.

I drive almost constantly one-handed in my real van, to the point where sitting with my hands at 10 and 2 feels weird and uncomfortable. Yet whenever I sim race, the habit just seems to disappear with no conscious effort and I have two hands on the wheel unless shifting. No idea why.

Indeed, same for me when sim racing. 10 & 2 is what you're taught here though. But then, most of the crap you learn on driving lessons is exactly that... crap. But that's another issue... ;)

Yeah, they teach 10 & 2 in Murica as well but it's rubbish advice. Even the car insurance company recommends 9 & 3. Like you said, just one more rubbish thing we're taught in school. :laugh:

10 & 2 may make (some) sense when driving small cockpit open wheelers with stiff wheels that only need a nudge to change car's direction. It would require way less effort and arm movement than 9 & 3. Any other car (race or not) that demands more turning at wheel is better handled by 9 & 3. Anyway, it is like wine (or everything else in life): te best one is the one that you like.

I drive almost constantly one-handed in my real van, to the point where sitting with my hands at 10 and 2 feels weird and uncomfortable. Yet whenever I sim race, the habit just seems to disappear with no conscious effort and I have two hands on the wheel unless shifting. No idea why.

Aye...the first 7.5 tonne I ever had to drive had a knob on the steering wheel just for steering one handed lol...I think they are illegal now.

Aye...the first 7.5 tonne I ever had to drive had a knob on the steering wheel just for steering one handed lol...I think they are illegal now.
You might be right. I can't remember the last time I saw one on anything but a forklift/reach truck. Not sure why as I don't see the danger. Amputees and others with physical limitations are still allowed to use them on their specially adapted cars though.

Yeah I usually have a tight steering wheel but I was just trying out some advice that was given out during last wednesdays rookie event...about having as much turn as possible on your wheel....i.e the full 900.

oh I've still got the full 1080 (or whatever the car is at the time) but just don't need to use any more steering for most situations

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.8%