Omit Adaptive AI for individual track difficulty?

Msportdan

@Simberia
I know a lot of criticsm for RRe is against its adaptive AI and how it doesnt really work as designed. But on the whole the actual AI is quite impressive (minus a few odd incidents).

So i was thinking and S3s now listening to their customers, that maybe they could replace the adaptive AI system for a individual track by track AI level difficulty. This way you can then set your own difficulty per track to your skill. This rids the problem of some tracks being more difficult than others, and unbalanced AI.

A good example given by William further down.....

"In the real world racers adapt to different tracks relative to their God given talent but in the virtual world AI racers may exhibit programming related limitations or idiosyncrasies. Take two oval tracks, I assume the programmed AI would perform similarly on both tracks but then compare an oval with another more technically diverse track the AI may run into inherent problems related very tight and twisty tracks. My assumptions would support the need for track specific AI settings to even things out."

I want to get some numbers of users that would like to see this happen or who wouldnt, and see if the devs (with users backing this) would consider this.

so..........

Last edited:
but could we set this per tracks so say hockenheim i can set 90% then zolder 95% and it will stay in the game

rather than having to remember every level for each track.

Wouldn't you prefer a consistent level of AI? I'm sure in real life some drivers are better at some tracks than others so changing per track would really get away from the realism of it all (if realism is the right word)
Just my opinion :)

Exactly Steve!
With some tracks I have no problems on taking an AI set to 100 even from back of the pack.
On others I'm struggling with the AI on 96 and frome pole position.
But this is like it should be, I just need more practise on those tracks!
I usually set the AI 1% higher than last time, choose a car and then race all the tracks.

This will also make the championships more exciting, real and even.

Last edited:
In the real world racers adapt to different tracks relative to their God given talent but in the virtual world AI racers may exhibit programming related limitations or idiosyncrasies. Take two oval tracks, I assume the programmed AI would perform similarly on both tracks but then compare an oval with another more technically diverse track the AI may run into inherent problems related very tight and twisty tracks.
My assumptions would support the need for track specific AI settings to even things out.

My thoughts exactly, Msportdan. Just yesterday I thought about the AI levels in R3E and how nice such a function/option would be. Normally I note down the AI strength for every track, but that feels like ...like drawing a map on a piece of paper while playing a modern age RPG.

Keep in mind that we still have lots of balancing to do with the tracks, if only there were more time but we'll try to squeeze in as many as possible into each update. What happens now in the tracks that aren't tuned for the new AI code is that AI is way too slow at some areas of the track and too fast in the others. Goal is to have them all updated of course which hopefully means that you shouldn't need to change the diffciculty at all to get good race with the AI. Surely then comes into play the fact that some tracks are better for some people and some others to someone else, but still things should get much more balanced in future.

For the adaptive AI I would suggest to delete aiadaption.xml in mydocs if you haven't done so lately and start over with it, that way it could work better but still things are too unbalanced at the moment for the adaptive AI.

Tracks that are updated now in the game:

Bathurst
Hockenheim (GP only)
Zandvoort (GP only)
Lausitzring ADAC
Oschersleben
Nurbgurbring (Short only)
Red Bull Ring

And the ones that come with WTCC update:

Monza GP and Junior
Hungaroring
Suzuka GP, East and West

Still, I would think it's a good idea if the game would remember your AI difficulty setting for each track if you wanted to :)

not individual track difficulty 4me, as soon you know the track, where you have your brakepoints etc. it's more the Car which makes things difficult. It's easier to drive with a slow car or a car with lots of grip than for example a Formula1 car or a "beast" which is just hard to drive in reality aswell.

i suppose theres always a human element of strengths and weaknesses, but most times it comes down to ai being unbalanced at certain tracks..

Putting up the level at weak ai tracks and lowering it for strong ai tracks is a worthwhile feature i think for any sim, and not yet to be implemented by any.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.2%