(OLD)Season14 Race1 MELBOURNE Incidents Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although the race was abandoned, there were still a lot of incidents which we can learn from. If you were involved in an incident, whether or not it was your fault, please make sure you post an explanation here. Videos would also be very helpful.

@Jim Hawley
Jim in my view it is inexcusable to reverse onto the track in such a way. It will almost always cause carnage and on the opening lap with many cars in close proximity even more so. So sorry to say but this is as serious as it gets. It destroyed at least 3 peoples race. Hope we learn from it and it never happens again.
While exploring the start to get my own video I was so astounded that I added it in despite not being involved.

Lap 6 turn 9 contact.
My assessment:
After running for a few laps in close contact with a group of 3-4 drivers (positions 9-12)
I managed to put Nicolas Rouge under some pressure with a dummy move to the inside into T6.

In covering the move Nicolas compromised his exit which resulted in his car fully leaving the road surface.
This allowed me to get a run down the outside through turn 8. My car finally was not only enjoying significant overlap it was fully past Nicolas' car.

I maintained position on the left side of the track, careful to leave racing room but knowing there was no way to take T9 well or fast from an acute inside line. This would mean his corner was compromised and he would need to slow.
In my view a legitimate and careful move that was set up 3 corners earlier.
Nicolas moved left at the last moment in the braking zone and hit my car taking me off into the gravel.

Please find following the video footage from multiple view points.

The first few secnds are another unrelated issue. (lap 1)
The final overhead is the clearest.

Last edited:
In my opinion on the s3 incident it was completely avoidable you should always wait for a safe time to enter the track after going off like that. I was fortunate not to have any damage other than huge vibrations from the flat spots despite hitting the wall but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Nicolas Rouge vs David O'Reilly Incident

My take is this couldve been avoided by Nicolas knowing where his defending braking point on the inside would be going into the corner, to me it looks like he completely missed it (counted 1 board too many?), he then tried to compensate and not go through the guy in front, unfortunatly David was on the left and Nicolas moved over into him causing the incident, David done everything right in this situation which wouldve resulted in a good clean pass, to avoid the situation in future please be aware of your braking points when defending.

I had an incident with @Geoffrey Fournier . I can't remember which lap, but it was in turn 4. I think I took a bit too much rumble strip on the apex which put me into a small slide. It whipped back and bumped Geoffrey into the wall. My bad... :redface:

I'll have to look into stability on rumble strips. Maybe I can help it with something in setup, as I take to them habitually when there's cars around me to make as much space as possible for everyone. Or maybe that's just a bad habit I need to unlearn. :p

My apologies to David O'Reilly, it was my fault entirely, I forgot my braking point when checking him in my mirrors. I really wanted to let him pass, unless he made a serious mistake on braking on this turn, and will have brake ~10m earlier than usual for that, but when I check in front of me the 100m panel was already gone and I slammed (too late) my brakes. However I thought that I let him enough place to avoid contact, but apparently not since we made contact (never felt it btw).

I didn't review the replay after the race since I was convinced there was no contact, and because I was very angry for all the technical issue and the so long waiting periods that completely destroyed my concentration after a hard work day. I would have checked the replay (and apologized) sooner if only I had checked the name of the guy who tried to pass me and the one I saw in trouble in my mirrors shortly after my runby in the gravels.

Again I'm very sorry for that David, I hope to be much better next time.

Looking at the Nico R/David O'R incident

Looks to me like a slight error of judgement on Nico's part, very unfortunate, Nico R is a good chap and very good driver, one I've had many a good wheel to wheel battle with in the past and wouldn't hesitate to so in the future,

It does look as though he realised he had missed the braking point and then reacted (instinctively) to avoid the car turning in, just unfortunate that David's car was to the left

Jim

I should also have mentioned at the start of this thread that it is our practice at Presto for every single driver that raced to post in this thread. After reviewing the replay, if you have had no incidents or contact then simply post a simple, 'no incidents to report'. That way, if someone is waiting to hear your side of the story before posting, they will know you have missed the incident and raise it themselves.

Please also refrain from sorting incidents out privately and posting nothing here on the forums. By all means apologize privately if that is appropriate, but then report the incident here. All incidents are an opportunity for us to learn a lesson and improve the standard of the league.

Sry for the late reply, i`m away atm ...

In T1-4 i managed to have no contact with opponents, for the prize to loose some positions.
In the whiteford turn i followed the first time a car off track,
second time in the ascari turn, trying to give as much space as possible for the car rigth beside me.

After this i made this stupid maneuver reversing back to the track :redface:

In the heat of the moment i was trying to solve the situation fast,
i steered to the left limit ... pressed the gas pedal ... but i think much,
so the car went straight backward ... on the track :poop:
I thought i can reverse on the green ...

I`m really sry for that :(

Martin

No incidents to report. :thumbsup:

To maybe give some inspiration to try out during the next 15 minutes of extra practice starts, I show how I managed without contact at all during first corners. During first corners I deliberately take a super wide line when on the outside as long as someone is behind or inside in case of them overshooting the corners. If everyone would do that, no places are lost in the absolute first corners:

Creds go to @Geoffrey Fournier and @MOOOOOOOOOSCHT who valued safety first and for having good spatial awareness during these corners. :thumbsup:

Anyone who feels unsure about where the car's all 4 wheels are, I recommend to run many short intense practice races at the servers before each new track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%