RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvyn White

Calv Killmore
Well, I'd like to say bullocks but it doesn't really some it up. So I'll start with three no shows and two unknown disconnections. Leaving 4 drivers to do a 20-minute race. And of course, bailing out halfway through the first race. That's ugly. It's not a really fair thing to do bowling out leaving 4 drivers. A bit inconsiderate to the situation.
Anyway had a terrible race but I had fun.
Now if I can only think of something to say to convince people if you sign up turn up and make the effort to finish.

The racing was good, but the no-shows and DNFs were not.

Nine people sign up, six actually start the first race, only four remain for the second. That's pathetic, quite frankly, and shows massive disrespect to those that actually bothered to show up and stay to the end. For those that haven't bothered to read them, the Club Rules clearly state:
Club Rules said:
2. When you have signed up for an event we expect you to be there. If for any reason you can not make it you can sign out up until one hour prior to the practice session. Signing up means you are committed to finishing the entire race.
I've been lax on it for some time but not anymore. Anyone who disrespects that rule and their fellow drivers will now receive the appropriate penalty.
Club Rules said:
  • 1st offense: PM warning.
  • 2nd offense: Two week racing ban.
  • 3rd offense: 30 day racing ban.
  • 4th offense: 1 year racing ban.

NOTE

We will no longer accept "maybes" and question marks. If you sign up then you're expected to be there, as per our Club Rules. You're also expected to complete the event in full, which should not be an issue given that we do not use damage in RD club racing.

Failing to do these simple things shows great disrespect to your fellow drivers, and anyone doing so from now on will receive the appropriate penalty.

Club Rules said:
2. When you have signed up for an event we expect you to be there. If for any reason you can not make it you can sign out up until one hour prior to the practice session. Signing up means you are committed to finishing the entire race.

*snip*

NOTE

We will no longer accept "maybes" and question marks. If you sign up then you're expected to be there, as per our Club Rules. You're also expected to complete the event in full, which should not be an issue given that we do not use damage in RD club racing.

Failing to do these simple things shows great disrespect to your fellow drivers, and anyone doing so from now on will receive the appropriate penalty.

Club Rules said:

*snip*

I just want to say thank you to Ross, Calvin and Rad to stay there until the end of both races.
Special mention to Calvin who is a super fast driver but he didn't have good luck yesterday and lost control of his car a few times and EVEN SO, he completed both races.
Also special mention to Ross for organizing and Rad, who registers for every single race in this club and always shows up.

ok, so first i'm sorry for the disconect, but after pulling my power cable out of the pc with my foot, i got a little angry ! i've been faffing around with my desk and hadnt used it for sim racing for a while. i would have come back on but knowing i couldn't rejoin it kind of put me off. i'm sorry that it made the grid so small and i should have come back and let you guys know. my power cable is now routed away from my pedals .

i am guilty for signing up to a number of races and not showing though so yep i understand that. been struggling to find time to make it to races and i've been trying to not sign up if theres any doubt of me making it.

shame anyway i was enjoying it before the issues.

Amazing combo, this one. These cars and this track were made for each other. :inlove::cool:

In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these are the best cars in R3E. :)

They are quite fun but if you haven't tried the Group C go to the competition. Those things are a challenge but rewarding. Imo best in R3E.

I understand the FR90 is not supposed to be historically accurate and is more likely representing an era however, if the car was indeed a 1990, it would be a 6 Speed H-Pattern dog box lift and shift type thing. Even if it were a 1991-1993, only 1/3 to 1/2 the teams had paddle shift sequential boxes by 1993 so it's not a 1993. It cannot be a 1995 or newer because by then most teams with the exception of Williams, Jordan and Ferrari had the raised nose with spoiler below popularized first by Benetton and not long after, everyone. So for the car to be paddle shift, with the body style as it is (1992 Ferrari or maybe McLaren), the closest thing it could be is 1994 but most 1994 F1 had a curved nose not an angled slope.

The little driver has a HANS device so we are technically racing a Retro Historic series otherwise his pencil would be snapable.

Not complaining... just observations.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to use a H shifter and clutch with these? I can't seem to get that to show up as an option, only semi-auto, which is a shame. I know teams started using paddles around 91, but even if it was entirely inaccurate it would be fun to drive these fully manual.

Has anyone been able to use a H shifter and clutch with these? I can't seem to get that to show up as an option, only semi-auto, which is a shame. I know teams started using paddles around 91, but even if it was entirely inaccurate it would be fun to drive these fully manual.
Nah, I tried when they first came out, and was scratching my head a little that paddles were the only option. RF2 is cool in this situation because you can shift any way you'd like. I use my sequential stick to make it a little more believable.

The big brains with all the money decided F1 is better off racing on empty tracks in the middle of absolutely nowhere than at one of the most beautiful tracks in the heart of European motorsports country.

I tried hoping it may allow it but RRE seems to lock to what the real counterpart should be or in this case what they are simulating with these which is sequential. I could use sequential stick but it won't let me select my H-Pattern profile. It would be fun.

I've searched quite a bit and could never really confirm but I don't believe F1 ever used a sequential stick. F1 went straight to paddle. I always really enjoyed ChampCars/CART because they were 900HP beasts and the drivers still had to one hand them while shifting. Was reminded watching the IMSA race today when they referenced 'The Pass' at Laguna Seca.

In 1994 i believe, Senna and Ratsenberger died there during practice for the San Marino GP. Basically the worst weekend in F1 history.

I thought there was something else like it was not meeting specification in some way, it's becoming run down or sub-standard or it's too fast or something. Those other things... well yes...

I've searched quite a bit and could never really confirm but I don't believe F1 ever used a sequential stick. F1 went straight to paddle. I always really enjoyed ChampCars/CART because they were 900HP beasts and the drivers still had to one hand them while shifting. Was reminded watching the IMSA race today when they referenced 'The Pass' at Laguna Seca.
I did some research myself. The best source was, believe it or not, Wikipedia. About 1/3 of the cars used sequential, semi-auto transmissions. Most of the users were the higher-end teams except McLaren, who used a manual transmission in the early '90's and then went to a paddle shifter about 1994. The rest of the pack used six speed manuals.

It is possible (I could not find this) that the manuals were dog-boxes thus requiring lift and blip.

I have been using the paddles so far as that seems to be the only transmission R3E will let me use.

Kimmo Kokkonen

Lord GTR3, His master's voice
Premium
In 1994 i believe, Senna and Ratsenberger died there during practice for the San Marino GP. Basically the worst weekend in F1 history.
Senna died during the race. I saw it live on TV. Michael Schumacher won the race. It was his first victory in formula 1.

And that Tamburello corner where Senna's crash happened is no longer as dangerous as it was, they added chicane to cut top speed. The last race was 2006.

See this also, Imola and Mugello maybe in future…
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/imola-mugello-bids-grand-prix/4538214/

I did some research myself. The best source was, believe it or not, Wikipedia. About 1/3 of the cars used sequential, semi-auto transmissions. Most of the users were the higher-end teams except McLaren, who used a manual transmission in the early '90's and then went to a paddle shifter about 1994. The rest of the pack used six speed manuals.

It is possible (I could not find this) that the manuals were dog-boxes thus requiring lift and blip.

I have been using the paddles so far as that seems to be the only transmission R3E will let me use.

I'm almost certain the cars then used a straight cut gear in a dog-box type gearbox. Even Formula Ford by the early 1970s were using a gearbox like this. I know some older former FF1600 drivers who confirmed. Even the NASCAR guys were using a Ford Top Loader that allowed this. Most of the sports cars of the day like the Lola T70s were using something similar.

These remain some of my favorite vids;
With pedal cam;

You can clearly see that his left foot is planted on the foot rest during upshifts and on many downshifts.

Afaik, by the late 1960s through to sequential gearboxes most every competition car was using some type of manual that required very little clutching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.6%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000