RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been able to use a H shifter and clutch with these? I can't seem to get that to show up as an option, only semi-auto, which is a shame. I know teams started using paddles around 91, but even if it was entirely inaccurate it would be fun to drive these fully manual.

Don't mean to seem like I'm promoting another sim here. If you want to drive 1991s, fully manual, on Imola 1988 w/Tamburello intact, these are great!
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles...workshopfiles/?appid=365960&p=1&numperpage=30

I'm almost certain the cars then used a straight cut gear in a dog-box type gearbox. Even Formula Ford by the early 1970s were using a gearbox like this. I know some older former FF1600 drivers who confirmed. Even the NASCAR guys were using a Ford Top Loader that allowed this. Most of the sports cars of the day like the Lola T70s were using something similar.

These remain some of my favorite vids;
With pedal cam;

You can clearly see that his left foot is planted on the foot rest during upshifts and on many downshifts.

Afaik, by the late 1960s through to sequential gearboxes most every competition car was using some type of manual that required very little clutching.

Jim Pace FTW! This guy is what motorsports is all about. Thanks Joe!

Avoiding things you're not very good at isn't much of a way to improve. You learn by doing.

@Ross Garland I absolutely agree - but learning in someone else race? Not so sure. I have genuinely spent several evenings on it since announced, but it hasn't clicked for some reason. I've never felt comfortable joining a race where there's every chance of my spoiling someones race by getting in the way or worse! I tend to find that in these situations I either cause an incident by braking too early or too late. It will come with time and I haven't given up on the circuit, but I haven't grasped it yet in a GT3

It's a shame I'm not much of a tutor really, or I'd substitute some of these events for some kind of extended race practice. Nothing like the academy Bram used to run, but something more relaxed to help people learn some technique and gain confidence.

This new schedule is pretty unfortunate for me, because we have been organizing our league events on Wednesday evening for years, so I'm unavailable on most occasions, otherwise I'd sign up...

If we don't get enough sign-ups I'll start the server with a really long practice session, in case you guys want to do a bit of tutoring. If I can free myself up I might pop on in case I can offer any advice.

Remember that the R3E servers are always online too, so if anyone ever wants to arrange an impromptu training session for any of our events then they're welcome to do so at any time.

Calvyn White

Calv Killmore
I don't know if I'm going to be able to take part in the race but I've made a setup for the Audi R8 LMS. Whether this Audi setup will work on another car such as the BMWs etc I have no idea. My experience with a GT3 is limited. I've never experienced any advantage in using the same setups with different cars.

And this is how I drive it.

Into the first right-hand corner hard on the brakes down the third gear make sure you get to the apex be patient with a throttle but get it on hard as soon as you can drag 5th gear up the hill getting into 6th about halfway up it.
Hard on the brakes for the next right quickly down the third waiting to pick second halfway through the corner be careful the back-end may lock up. Timing is important in choosing that 2nd gear. A short shift to 3rd wouldn't go amiss if needed out of the corner.
You should be in 5th by the time you hit the next right-hander slowing down to 2nd gear whilst gently breaking around the right-hander. After 3rd gear up to 4th just. Brake hard down the second keep it close to the double left apex treated like one corner as it is sort of. Use all the track on the exit and short shift 3rd if you feel you need to.
Keep it tight to the left on the apex try not to touch it can turn the car into a spin. Use all the exit up to 5th down the hill to the hairpin.
Down the 2nd gear keep it tight on the left, short shift to 3rd as you go around the right gentle on the throttle try not hit that right curb on the exit. It can mess you up and as you're about to go down a long straight it will mess you up for the entire section of the track if you touch that curb and lose any exit speed that you may have. Important to get a good exit onto this long straight.
Full throttle until the right hand turn onto the start and finish straight. Hard on the brakes down the third gear quickly let the car coast let it go wide and you'll be surprised how early you can get the throttle on. From 3rd gear on to the start and finish straight itself.

Well, there's my very basic description of how I drive the Audi around this particular circuit.

As some of you are aware it's a challenging circuit with many different things fast corners, slow corner, sharp corners, long sweeping corners all sorts of stuff very awkward to get a rhythm going and awkward to set up a car.
Despite the awkwardness of the track and setting up the car, the track has plenty of opportunities for overtaking.
And these overtaking opportunities should be practiced for your breaking abilities.
Sometimes what I like to do is pretend there's a car beside me and I'm undertaking him into the hairpin and I need to know if I'm going to make that corner without going wide and slamming into the other car who's probably going around the outside of me.
Practicing you're overtaking whit a imaginary car is something I often do I want to know if the braking is anything different when I'm a car width to the right or left from the racing line I need to know what my car is going to do on that surface whether it's bumpier or not if it's bumpier there's more chance of a lock-up and lockups don't slow you down.

If there are any questions don't hesitate to ask.
For instance, if you could describe to me in the way the car is behaving that is not to your liking I can probably suggest some things that you can change to bring in more in the line of your liking. Don't be shy.
If there's any help I can give I will do so. But I am far far from being an expert.

P.s. If you use or try my setup up and you found my description useful, as many YouTubers say please leave a "like" or and donate vast quantities of cash.;):roflmao:

Attachments

• AUDI R8 LMS SLOVAKIA RING GP LB .svm
    6.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Lars Hansen

Buggered if I know.....
For me it’s the track. Can’t work it out. I’d be a mobile chicane so thought it best to stay away. I’d probably have given it a go in 92 DTM but spent more time ploughing the fields in a GT3

Right there with you. It's just a b*tch of a track IMO.
Granted, it can be learned but with sim-time being limited by the horrors of real life, I tend to stick to tracks I have at least a basic idea of how to run. :)

It's a shame I'm not much of a tutor really, or I'd substitute some of these events for some kind of extended race practice. Nothing like the academy Bram used to run, but something more relaxed to help people learn some technique and gain confidence.

It's not that hard tbh. I mean, hell I've done it a few times, so how hard could it possibly be? :p
Basically, it's looking for the classic mistakes; braking too late, turning in too soon, not using the entire width of the track, etc.
All it really requires is having a basic grasp on racing technique, and to be semi-coherent in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.3%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • €1501-3000