Old car forum posts (merged)

It's all in the news these last few days.

GM Europe has been sold off to the canadian-russian partnership. They're hoping that will afford some kind of protection for that side of the business, while the rest of GM is filing for bankruptcy protection (chpt 11) today. They'll basically tear down the company and rebuild it for launch in 90 days, and the US govt will have a 60% stake in the new company.

How thirsty is your car?

Okay, seeing as I got the boy racer in me out of my system with my first car (mkII Golf GTI) my current car is something which is a little cheaper to run and I'm never going to compete in the BHP stakes...

So.. how thirsty is your car?

I just filled up this morning and worked out over the whole previous tank I averaged 64.4 MPG (4.38l/100km for the Europeans out there) :D

edit: okie the nether peoples have yet another way of measuring this :p 1 litre per 22.8km then.

• VRIICluuby

3 cars atm,

8l/100km (35.3 MPG)
9l/100km (31.3 MPG) - 4WD
and
18l/100km (15.6 MPG)!!! Driving easy.:)..

• Kyle Evers

Eh. I'm in the US but I could care less if GM goes. They made some poor decisions, including this one. Took our money to try and fix it, but failed. They need to be a bit smarter.

Basically right now they just finished Chapter 12 I think of the "paperwork" so it's basically official.

As long as Vauxhall and Opel stay running as they are and dont let Russia get involved, cos otherwise we'll end up with Vauxhall's looking like cars from the 1980's

• Kyle Evers

We don't even have Vauxhalls or Opels here in the US :). Only on rare ocassions do you see one ever.

Hmmm.....bad decisions and bad buisness models have placed GM in the position they are in now (and they're only the first) for years manufacturer's have been wasting billions and ripping us off. Ironic it's the taxpayer(there customers) that are having to bail them out. How many of the top GM exec's will get golden handshakes while the poor workers get laid off and struggle to meet their mortgage payments. I for one will not miss the passing of big brand name companies.

I too feel very sorry for the workers, who have to endure watching CEO's receive millions to leave a company they've knackered while they get zero and their futures are in doubt.

We have quite a large workforce here in Oz directly related to car manufacturing. GMH a.k.a Holden future is very much an unknown at present as a direct result of the parent company bankruptcy.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back