Old Australian Circuits Group (OACG)

Old Australian Circuits Group (OACG)

This thread is to propose a collaborative effort to produce some more old Australian circuits. The idea is anyone interested, be they Australian or otherwise, can get onboard and help with creating an old Australian circuit. By now most of us are well aware that it takes quite a while to produce a good rendition of a circuit, so by pooling talents and dividing workloads we might be able to produce higher quality circuits and more quickly.

Tasks could be divided into circuit layout, terrain, textures, trackside objects, gathering reference material, etc.

Some people have experience with the major programs like photoshop and 3D studio Max, others are quite new track making and are just getting into BTB but are full of new ideas and enthusiasm. Some participants might live much closer to the old circuits or roads and be able to provide material and real-world experience.

Obviously this has a chance of turning out badly with people getting in a huff and withdrawing their work from projects, but hopefully a common interest in the circuits could keep people together and working happily. Users can be as involved as they wish, or merely model a building or two if they choose. There should be no obligation to continue with a project if you lose the inclination, but it would be nice if you could allow others to continue your work.

and here is a link for some inspiration : http://tasman-series.com/misc/lostcircuits/lostcircuits.asp

http://rfactorcentral.com/list.cfm?cat=Tracks&region=Oceania has a list of currently available rFactor circuits from the Oceania region though most are more modern versions.

So, if anyone is interested (you don't need to be Australian), post a reply and perhaps name an Australian circuit that you would like to see in rFactor/Simbin titles.

I'll start the bidding with Lobethal 1937-48 :smile: It would be a lot of work and that's why I wouldn't want to do it on my own. And I don't live anywhere near Lobethal.
more info: http://tasman-series.com/misc/lostcircuits/lobethal/lobethal.asp

Cheers,
woochoo

HAHAHAHA!
'28 Merc' around Bung'!
Im surprised you didnt fall asleep along the 8.5km main strait!
Ive been bounding around here in BL72's Valiant as well as sliding & flying the GT40, those cresting corners REALLY become interesting in the Ford!
I didnt know how to add that random 'life' to the track so thanks for the tip there too!

yeah, depending on the length of your panels you might need to play around with the randomness value, but for Longford the panels are between 3 and 7 meters and i think the most randomness i used was 0.03 - give's the ol' g25 a little something to do along an... ... ... ...

...8.5km straight! i tell ya, at 175kph it sure did feel long! I get the impression that something with a bit more power will make the kinks and crests a bit more attention-grabbing - will try it later.
edit: i did have some interesting moments having no idea where the road was going over some of the crests - slowing up only to find it continued dead ahead. some other bits where i could tell it was a left of right kink though, i just chucked it over with a little bit of angle, and kept the boot in. i'm sure there's a lot of that with the gt40, but maybe only 50% throttle?
reminds me a lot of Lobethal - loving it

Most of my panel lengths so far, are 10meters with a few 5meter sections in the tighter places.
Im figuring that once I start changing road textures I'll find a few places where I'll bring it down to 2.5 meters.
Although there is one sharp left (about halfway through the first sector) that will probably come down to a 1meter panel....
I can hardly wait for real terrain & a couple of causeways to appear....
And yes, I love those crests & weight shifts too!!
Im getting 25 minutes a lap in the Valiant & around 20 in the GT40....
I know someone did it in 16or17 minutes the other night! (pre-alpha, some terrain missing)
Now THATS moving!!!!

yeah, depending on the length of your panels you might need to play around with the randomness value, but for Longford the panels are between 3 and 7 meters and i think the most randomness i used was 0.03 - give's the ol' g25 a little something to do along an... ... ... ...

Well how about that, thank you! I never tried that tool :D Damn... Helps a lot with my current project, lots and lots of thanks.

I'm glad i could help with that one! it's always disappointing to drive a pretty track but not feel like you're actually driving the track. Sure it's not laser-scanning but it's so much better than nothing.

My version of Lobethal is quite bumpy, i assumed since it was a 1930s road surface that it wouldn't be super-smooth. It even makes it look more realistic, since it's not such a wide road, and has a high crown you can really see the variations. Longford isn't quite that rough.

Well I finally got around to it....
Ive now uploaded all my Tracks in Time articles to a server so everyone can download them for research or just a read!
The articles are mainly motorcycling related, but there's plenty of info & some good quality pic's from the era.
So if your interested, just click on the link below & it'll take you through to the folder so you can checkout which article your after & don't need to grab all of them (although, your more than welcome too!)
And remember, check in on the link periodically as the magazine is bi-monthly & I will be keeping the folder updated!

http://www.mediafire.com/?aw1nf3e68vqbu

Also, if anyone needs a higher resolution scan at anytime, just drop me a line & I'll run them off for you!
I hope you all enjoy the read & that it inspires a few more old Aussie Tracks!

Not a problem Rhys!
It's great to find out things about the area you live in, maybe you should go have a word with then at the Historical Village within the tracks confines there.....(Yeah, I just GE'd it! :wink:)
Either they might have more details on the track or, as I found recently about with the Bathurst racing museum, they may have no idea about it....
So, do you think were likely to see a Kalamunda circuit at some time in the future?:D

Funny thing is, I've actually been to Kalamunda History Village quite a few times when I was younger (but not by that much - I'm only 17 at the time of posting!). My family also travels down the start/finish straight every time we drive to my Uncle's place.

I'd go about creating it if I could, but a) I only had BTB for the trial period, b) I didn't exactly work miracles with it, and c) I'm too poor to buy it. Still, I might take a trip up there some day to check out the circuit and refresh my memory...

Woochoo you bought tears to my eyes. I was south of Perth WA in the 70's and you have just taken me back, watching sidecar road racing. The only difference is we had hills as backdrop. I even lived in one of those wooden overlap houses. Amazing work.

No problem woochoo!
If you haven't already, remember to go through that link of mine for more 'Tracks in Time' articles....
I will be keeping it updated every new issue from now on
And why is Longford 0.97 & not 0.99?
Is there really anything more you can do to this awesome track of yours?!:eek::wink:
Im liking that summer dried grass even more too,& I can't wait to see Lobethal either!

The Longford article was helpful with the shot showing the original hump before the pub. For those who don't know, they smoothed the top off it after Timmy Mayers fatality there in 1964. It is right at the start of the braking area for the pub. So my 1967 version has the lowered hump, but the surrounding terrain undulations were a useful guide.
EDIT: BTW, you can see the virtual version of the Mayer memorial stone against the left-side fences just after the hump, where he hit one of the plane trees. These days the stone is in the Pub.

As for 0.99... well, i compared a few resources and observations and just a few days ago i decided that the Flying Mile was a little off, but it would take a few days of moving stuff, and then i'd have to do a new AIW again, and that just isn't fun. My Uni work is about to get full-on and i can't do both, and leaving Longford unreleased for another two months would drive me crazy. So, that's how it went from 0.99 to 0.97. It got further away from finished.

I had a quick look at the old v0.9 last night. Haven't seen that for ages. Big change in road and grass textures. Glad you like the new dried grass, i think it looks a lot better than the old grass too.

For Lobethal, I'm thinking about making a compromise. That is, it will only be a basic representation. It's a big place and I'm a long way from SA. My plan, with the resources I have, would be to throw in my Longford houses to represent the Lobethal houses, maybe make a couple of custom Lobethal buildings (pubs, wool mill etc). Throw some reasonably aligned fences down. I've done most of the trees. The roads and terrain are decent. It won't be up to the detail level of Longford, but it will be a decent approximation of Lobethal. In comparison to Longford it would be a v0.5 or something, but it's better than sitting on my hdd forever.

Hey guys....not too sure if this has been posted, but you might find this site of some use....http://www.trilon.com/bapom/maps.htm

T
his site has heaps of track maps from around the world...unfortunately it doesnt have any "visuals" of scenery - but track lenght and corner names are listed on the maps......

How did I find it? I was searching for a layout map of one of New Zealands past Iconic racetracks here in Christchurch - the Wigram Aerodrome (host of the fabled Lady Wigram Trophy) as i was thinking of creating a version sometime down the ..er track!

Hope its useful for your project.....
Chris

Wow, it's been a while since anyone posted here!
Is there anyone else working on an Old Australasian circuit/s at the moment?
Seeing as there is currently no Download section here at RD I figured it would be best to post these links here....
Recently released by legendsatlunch are 2 Aussie classics dressed as 'Revivals'....
5.9km Gnoo Blas & 11.6km Vale.
Both circuits when installed will be listed under 'Classics' in your in-game menu.
These renditions are made in a '70's revival' format meaning that all roads are sealed (for Vale) & due to Xpacks available at this time....
Vale was used between 1932/33 to1937 prior to Mount Panorama being opened in 1938 & in it's short life was run in both directions after safety concerns were raised.
Both versions of Vale (clockwise & anti-clockwise) are included in this 60.8Mb download.
I should also mention that Gnoo Blas Fuel Usage figure is wrong so just open the AIW file & change the figure to 68000 & save

Gnoo Blas revival, Orange
http://www.mediafire.com/?ddj18ba2t2qa6id
Vale Revival, Bathurst
http://www.mediafire.com/?i1pl8fyv9xp8bsi

Also remember to check out previously mentioned 'Tracks in Time' articles for both Gnoo Blas & Vale.
Next track in the pipeline is Mount Druitt... :-D
I hope you all enjoy both!
BLeeK

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 300 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years