Ok, I'm hooked... and I'd love some feedback

I've been slowly and gradually getting more and more serious about sim-racing, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a first serious setup.

So I've drawn up a shortlist of what's available within a reasonable time frame here in Switzerland, and if I may I'd like to ask your opinions. Sorry all links are in German, but the specs are easily readable anyway

Gaming Rig - asus gaming pc rog strix gl12cx

https://www.brack.ch/asus-gaming-pc...rName][]=ASUS&limit=48&sortProducts=pricedesc

With an octacore i9 plus a 2080ti I'm thinking this should future proof me for 3 or so years. Oh and no I'm not building my own - been there done that, and that's why I'm now a Mac user for general computer needs

Cockpit: Next Level FGT

https://www.fust.ch/de/p/tv-foto-ga...cing/nextlevelracing-fgt-cockpit-8400672.html

I like this because it doesn't have a bucket seat, my only worry with this is if I choose to go for a DD wheel at a later point it may not be solid enough - currently I have a number of G29s and a T300RS plus pro pedals that was never unpacked - didn't fit on my desk. I could go for a Playseat Sensation Pro, but I'm trying to limit the expenditure to $5000, 5000chf (Swiss money), £4200 give or take. I know, buy cheap, buy twice, but still.

TV/Monitor - Samsung 50RU7400. Latency looks OK, it's cheap, and will be repurposed once I get space for triples

https://www.brack.ch/samsung-tv-ue5...0]=Samsung&sortProducts=priceasc&redirected=1

TV stand - Playseat TV Stand Pro 3s - as I'll hopefully be going for triples in the future it makes sense to go for an appropriate stand

https://www.fust.ch/de/p/tv-foto-ga...ubehoer/playseat/tv-stand-pro-3s-8427528.html

As for what I'm doing currently it's mostly ACC and AC, on my Mac with bootcamped windows, plus AC on the PS4.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback.

PS I'm likely to pull the trigger tomorrow as then I'll get the gear while I'm on holiday

I dont have experience of any of those items, but just my 2c:
- i would buy an alu rig to allow adding motion
- i would buy an ultrawide or triples right away rather than that tv

Upvote 0
One piece of experience as I perceived it: the pedals are much more important than the steering wheel. Both for enjoyment and for lap time.

Also, DD wheels can be very noisy, while high-end pedals are not.

Upvote 0
My 2c. As suggested go for an aluminium cockpit. Assuming the link you had was in euro then a similar and lower cost option are both from sim labs

https://sim-lab.eu/product/gt1-evo/ (cheaper but similar once you get a seat)
https://sim-lab.eu/product/p1-x-sim-racing-chassis/ (similar price without a seat)

they also have a monitor option for triples
https://sim-lab.eu/product/triple-monitor-mount/

The P1 will future proof you for anything you may ever need. As you are new you may but other things, upgrade etc. The aluminium rigs will not present you any problems mounting anything you may purchase in the future.

On the bucket seat. My bucket seat is the most comfortable seat I have ever had but prior to this I had no experience with bucket seats and the only ones I ever tried were too small and not in the right position. I thought they were rubbish. It has to be one that fits you and it has to be one that is in the correct position. I see many that are not set up right so I understand where you are coming from. It's so easy to have a first experience with a bucket seat that is a bad one. Not trying to convert you here though.

Upvote 0
Get an aluminium rig first and foremost. That opens up the possibility to do whatever you want. Not sure what wheel pedals you are looking at but a Fanatec CSW 2.5 and V3 pedals slare amazing value for the money and very solid kit.

Upvote 0
I whuld say go for alu rig aswell. I have been there my self and god A obutto revolution some years back as my first rig. That dident last Long when i got my first dd wheel. And the rig go change out with A alu rig and never looked back.

So my 2 cent it to get one to start with and you can change that up as you go. Its not any more expensiveand you save in the Long run.

Super easy to mod later on and it can grow with you on the way.

I did say i whuldent go dd wheel and i did say i whuld never get A motion rig.

On my second dd wheel now and have build my self A sfx100 motion plattform.

And dd wheels isent Noicey. Have had A osw with A small mige and are now on a simucube 2 pro and they are more quiete then A T300

Upvote 0
my simucube OSW is dead quiet, not sure what you’ve experienced?

I have an Accuforce 2. On rough surface and on traction loss it makes quite the racket.

It gets a new mount next week, we'll see. Anyway, never had a noise problem with the T300 or T500 or whatever it was.

Upvote 0
As far as permanent mount and rig are concerned, I want to put the whole shebang into a 19" rack.

Pedals on the bottom fixed to the rack, rack above holds steering wheel, monitor(s) on an arm, computer in there, too. Some rigged anchoring for the seat. Might be a lot easier to move that way, and should be pretty solid.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, for the moment I've decided to hold off on the cockpit and TV in light of what you guys have said. I think I need to plan this a little more carefully from a logistics point of view as most of the cockpits you have suggested have quite a lead time to delivery and I need to be able to be around to receive the delivery - not easy with my work-life

So in the end I've gone for the gaming rig, plus an Oculus Rift S in place of the TV - VR sim-racing is really where I want to be, plus I can still use my existing 28" 4K monitor for the times I don't want to be in VR.

As far as wheels and pedals are concerned I'm already pretty much sorted - I've couple of G29's lying around plus a TM T300RS that's never been unboxed. Not exotic stuff, but still serviceable until I'm ready to go the full monty.

Upvote 0
You cannot "plan" to use a VR headset instead of a TV. You might or might not like it. They are very different animals.

AC is actually very enjoyable even on a 1920x1200 screen, as long as it has good colors.

Upvote 0
As I said I already have a 4k display, to which the gaming rig is already hooked up to. Yes the gaming rig arrived and I'm impressed, very impressed. Running the standard benchmark in AC with all settings maxed out (running @1080p) I'm getting well over 300FPS average.

As far as VR is concerned it's not going to be a problem - I've got my VR legs. Here's an example of what I've been doing on the PS4. Apologies in advance for the image quality and the, ahem, subject matter - skip to 50 seconds to miss the boring part.

Actually a big reason I decided to move to PC gaming was that there was a significant lack of VR sim-racing titles, with Dirt Rally being pretty much the only one if you ignore Driveclub, and GTS which is only a half-arsed demo mode.

So, again thanks to all who've helped me.

Upvote 0
As others a said...get an 80/20 cockpit, it will totally grow with whatever direction your sim racing takes you...mines a sim-lab and would 100% recommend this company

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 232 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%
  • < 5 years