Offline league interest?

I've been thinking about starting a offline championship for Race on / Race 07 / GTR Evo / STCC - basically any of the "Race" games that has the touring cars in it.

The idea is the run any of the WTCC/STCC touring cars available (including the Vauxhall Vectra add-on) at a track, people do the qualifying and the races versus the AI and submit screenshots showing their qualifying time, race time and fastest lap info. The results are then combined to give the race results, with points awared for positions, fastest lap and fastest time in qualifying ("Pole position"). The format would be a 2 race format, with the second race grid reverse-top-8 as per the default in the game. All races standing starts.

There would be championships for Drivers, Teams and Manufacturers. The Teams championship would be a max of 2 drivers per team and both to score points according to where they finish in the races.

The game could be played by people with both the offline and online installations of the games.

I'm posting this to see what sort of interest there is for this kind of championship, and any suggestions are welcome as well.

The basic idea is to allow those without internet access at home to compete on a regular basis with others.

Nice idea, and I would possibly be interested since I cannot play online at the moment. Two potential problems I see are honesty and the AI though. In offline there is nothing to prevent people from running a race multiple times until they get the race time they want. Obviously they would be defeating the object of the exercise for themselves as well as everyone else, but for a few people out there winning and net-cred is everything.

As for the AI, they would likely be a massive factor in the race times being produced. I mean, it would be somewhat unfair for a relative newbie racing well ahead of an 80% AI pack to get a better overall race time than a pro battling with a 110% AI pack throughout the entire race. It seems the only way of keeping it even would be to eliminate the AI element, but that would essentially mean turning the league into a set of time trials rather than races. I guess an AI level could be imposed (relying on honesty)... not sure how that would affect the race times between those that could compete at the level compared to those that drop to the back and stay there though.

Eric Kaczmarek said:
Can I ask why? when there are 2143821394832948 online Championships?

You could, but a reason was already given in the OP. Guess you missed it.

BruceD said:
The basic idea is to allow those without internet access at home to compete on a regular basis with others.

No offence, but you shouldn't assume everyone wants/has the same as you. Some people don't have an internet connection, others have connections that are too slow/unstable for internet gaming, and yet others don't want to race directly against humans. There's definitely a place for offline leagues, so the question is how to run them fairly and effectively.

I have an suggestion about fair play
with FRAPS using for snapping results of game, quali, race, whatever, you will se exactly know what time was the snap done with the name of game as tag of the screenshot - and then its only about fairplay :) (so the best suggestion ever, choose only guys for this who do you trust - that they wont change the name of screens or informations about date etc.)

I mean you will choose for the quali 19:00 GMT time and the snap has to be done after 15 minutes quali so you will see in the screen tag 19:15 , then quickly jump to next session :) or your time and results wont be agreed

But if you know you can trust the people involved not to tamper with the screenshots, then why wouldn't you trust them to just stick to the rules in the first place? :tongue: It seems trust is the only way this can work to be honest, as there's really no way you can physically monitor everyone.

If the OP is still interested in giving it a go then I'm up for it. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Goffik, I like you atttiude, about the only positive one I've recieved from the forums that I've posted this in. Unfortunately it seems that you are the only one interested in it besides me, so I'm going to have to can the idea. There are a lot of flaws that I'm aware of and it would rely on "gentlemen" to do it, but I tend to find that in offline leagues people don't cheat too much cos the cheaters tend to float towards the online events where their selfish gains have a instant success.

I think the FRAPS idea would be good cos the screenshot side of it is free so there would be no need for people to buy it. As for AI interference in race results, yeah I would allow restarts to be used. The other conflict I was battling with was controlling the settings as far as driver aids, etc was concerned. I agree with Robin's comment cos I already run a offline rally championship using the RSRBR2009 / 2010 mods and using the HTML file submission basis and it does work well.

But it does seem that the interest is not there. I posted on Motorsport Forums and got attacked about the fact that there was already a touring car championship for TOCA 2 running (clearly the person couldn't see that I was talking about a completely different game), and nobody at NoGrip even commented, so this forum is the sole bit of activity there is for the idea. If more interest is shown here I would possibly run it but right now it seems crazy for 2 cars.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%