F1 2011 Official AI Thread

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Playing on Legend @ monza and the AI just won't overtake you no matter what, they will get a good run on you going into certainturns but will instead decide to just stay behind you for the entire race. It's bizarre. Had similar issues on other tracks, they just won't overtake you unless you make some major error. It kinda ruins the offline portion of this game.

I managed to come thrid on Nurburgring in a lotus on pro A.I with tcs Med and auto gears. held up Mark Webber and Alonso for the whole race, think i was something like 40 seconds behind second. but it should never happen really. they just wouldn't pass! and im sure they could have, i dont profess to be great at this game by any means!

The AI in Sepang is imo rubbish.
Im driving the Williams in carreer mode with all sims on, AI on legend, (+automatik gear and TK, rest is off) and i'm easly 1s faster on prime tyres than the AI on options. And i havent even done a perfect lap.
Seriously i want the AI to challenge me and fight for Position on the midfield.

The AI is all over the place, when on a slow lap (practise/qualy) the sit on the racing line twitching perfectly positioned to ruin your hot lap... it's pathetic!

The wet race pace seems odd too, either REALLY quick or too slow?

The AI in Sepang is imo rubbish.
Im driving the Williams in carreer mode with all sims on, AI on legend, (+automatik gear and TK, rest is off) and i'm easly 1s faster on prime tyres than the AI on options. And i havent even done a perfect lap.
Seriously i want the AI to challenge me and fight for Position on the midfield.

to be honest, I think the tracktion control turned to on makes the game too easy and as for lap times, it definitely looses the AI's equilibrium with yours as soon as you play it with TK ON! You should try to play on Prof difficulty but with TK off!

I'll turn it of when i have my wheel, but I personally can't drive with TC off with the Xbox Pad. I'm currently trying to race with TC on middle.

Edit: This is ridiculous. I'm in Shanghai Q2 and it has started to rain at the end of Q1, so your just on the edge between inters and slicks. Probably a little bit faster with the slicks. So i chose the option, set my wings a little bit up.
I was really fighting with the car on my hot lap. The rear always wants to step out and i just get a 1:39:5. Thought that was a good lap and returned to the pit, beccause it obviously is getting wetter and wetter and time improvements are impossible.
The AI drives at the same time as i was out 1:32-1:34 times. That are the same times they (and I) drove in absolutly dry conditions.
So i'm 7 secounds of the pace.

I restarted the session and tried everything to get closer, but i can't reach any higher than a 39.
I'm mabe not the best driver, but i'm not 7s off the pace -.-"

With regard to Legendary not overtaking and backing out, all the career drivers have their aggression set at below 0.45. This compares to other AI entries (perhaps multiplayer AI) with range up to 1.

Perhaps this is the cause of their timid overtakes. I edited my database to raise them e.g Lewis 1, Kobayashi 0.8, Schumi 0.85 etc etc and it seems to have helped some but I need to do more testing. One point, AI will nearly always back out of an overtake if you weave. This is pretty realistic in my opinion as drivers are only allowed 1 defensive move. For sim purposes if you exit a corner, take up a line for the next one, the old AI would not always attempt the pass, but it seems a little more willing to if you set the aggression higher. They will still back out if you weave about like a 40 year old mercedes driver though but that doesn't bother me.

I've also noticed a nasty weaving effect when two AI cars are alongside each other. In DRS zones this slows them down really badly and is completely unnecessary. Doubt I'll be able to find what is causing it though. Probably two parameters confliicting somewhere is the driver config.

Also, regarding monaco slow AI, in the database their is a table that has an entry called cautious behaviour or something. It is ticked for Monaco, Singapore and somewhere else. There is also another table about dev tools which ticks some tracks and not others.

Database.bin AI mod

Here's what I got in my career race at Catalunya:
I'm in the Williams, naturally. AI goes to overtake, appears to stay back, comes back to try the aggressive pass, actually makes a mistake, overshoots the corner, spins. That's pretty much all I wanted to achieve in just that one shot. ;)

I uploaded the current state of my AI fiddlings. See the attachment. Backup your old database.bin, copy over database.beta01.bin, rename to database.bin. Did I mention you should backup your old database.bin? Make sure you do.

It will conflict with any other mod that makes changes to the database.bin.

What it does:
- AI is more aggressive, actually makes passing moves on the straights.
- Changes AI balance to some degree on some tracks (hence, if it leaves you much too fast or too slow, go back to the backup you made!)
How it does it:
- Changed driver ability values aggression, Speed_in, Speed_out
- Changed difficulty level multipliers, which previously further decreased the abovementioned values.
- Virtual_Performance of drivers, teams and difficulty level multipliers changed.

What it doesn't do (yet):
- AI still won't forcefully pass you or divebomb. If you wish, you can still make it practically for the AI to pass you by weaving and essentially not leaving them a clear lane.
- Normalize AI laptimes over a full season. There's some beginnings with lessons I learned in the early races of my career but that extends to about two tracks and isn't optimized. For example the field is rather tight, especially in the top 12 or so.

Attachments

• database.beta01.bin.zip
    60.1 KB · Views: 174
I'm in the Williams, naturally. AI goes to overtake, appears to stay back, comes back to try the aggressive pass, actually makes a mistake, overshoots the corner, spins. That's pretty much all I wanted to achieve in just that one shot. ;)

I uploaded the current state of my AI fiddlings. See the attachment. Backup your old database.bin, copy over database.beta01.bin, rename to database.bin. Did I mention you should backup your old database.bin? Make sure you do.

What it does:
- Changes AI balance to some degree on some tracks (hence, if it leaves you much too fast or too slow, go back to the backup you made!)
How it does it:
- Changed difficulty level multipliers, which previously further decreased the abovementioned values.
- Virtual_Performance of drivers, teams and difficulty level multipliers changed.

- AI still won't forcefully pass you or divebomb. If you wish, you can still make it practically for the AI to pass you by weaving and essentially not leaving them a clear lane.
- Normalize AI laptimes over a full season. There's some beginnings with lessons I learned in the early races of my career but that extends to about two tracks and isn't optimized. For example the field is rather tight, especially in the top 12 or so.
thanks man :) I'll try it now

What it does:
How it does it:

Thanks for this - going to give it a try. :)

When comparing the two games make sure you are driving at least in the same driving conditions.

IMHO, playing without assists as I did in f1 2010 feels easier in the sense that the car is more stable and less likely to spin when you step on the gas leaving the curve. Like the first left turn in Shanghai. But the overall driving engine is better, I get more simulation feel on this game.

I second that! Last year I had to lift off on every corner exit afraid the car might spin. Also another thing I think is cool is the fact that you could spin if you accelerate too fast with the DRS on when entering a corner.

Realistic AI Qualification

A great thread in the official forum (and all kudos to the OP there, I'm just passing on the info)

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...375-few-words-about-p-q-ai-times-answers.html

To paraphrase - Using Accel time and/or Flying lap seems to hinder the AI pace in Practice and Qualifying.

I myself have been qualifying high up in Q3 (even 1st) in he Williams whilst speeding up time and then going backwards in the race.. However, just ran a qualifying session in 'real time' and managed tenth, with the AI pole been 1.2 seconds faster!

So, we need to sit through qualification without accelerating time and drive out to see the best AI performance.

yes, using accelerated time seems to confuse the AI a little bit i guess, when i used 30X accelerated time at Valencia Perez was 3rd, vettel was 11th in qualifying..

and i dont know if its just me , are you able to access codemasters forums? im still not getting access.

I still have weird qualifying even without speeding up time. I notice when I first start the game and go to my career the 1st race is ok, but by the 2nd race Liuzzi is starting in 5th and Hamilton is 16th, this is without speeding up time.

Just did full Qualifying at Silverstone on Professional level, I drove onto the track for my laps and drove back to the pits after and no time forwarding. (Career mode on a PC, all dry weather). Here's the results:

1. Vettel
2. Bieber (me in the Williams)
3. Schumacher
4. Massa
5. Heidfeld
6. Buemi
7. Alguersuari
8. Di Resta
9. Sutil
10. Barrichello
11. Hamilton
12. Webber
13. Alonso
14. Button
15. Petrov
16. Rosberg
17. Kobayashi
18. Perez
19. Liuzzi
20. Karthikeyan
21. D'Ambrosio
22. Glock
23. Kovalainen
24. Trulli

Edit: I did read through the whole post now on the link you originally provided, and I did have repaired damage in Q2 which would account for the times being all messed up. I still think it sucks that it does this either way.

I'm looking at Hamilton, Webber, Alonso and Button... They are in Q2?! What it's wrong with CM??? Ok... Vettel in pole, it's normally... But the other good drivers, those who fight for DC in real life, are in the bottom field? And who will race with?! Buemi? Alguersuari or Sutil?! Come on... We need a good mod... And we need that soon.

I couldn't agree more! I never added any mods to F1 2010, mostly b/c I was worried about the game crashing or other problems it already had getting worse if I did. This year is a totally different story, I'm all about the mods this time around. I don't know the first thing about modding, but if anyone wants to teach me I will gladly start!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%