F1 2011 Official AI Thread

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Playing on Legend @ monza and the AI just won't overtake you no matter what, they will get a good run on you going into certainturns but will instead decide to just stay behind you for the entire race. It's bizarre. Had similar issues on other tracks, they just won't overtake you unless you make some major error. It kinda ruins the offline portion of this game.

Yeah it's annoying how the AI are not consistent on all tracks, they are properly crap at malaysia

They are decently fast, but what would you prefer. Catalunya 2010 all over again? exactly. lets hope they hear this and try to balance it out a bit more in a future patch.

James, he has no network cable. He prefers to be offline. He also likes to chew on his bullystick and eat pasta on the weekends as treat.

I think AI is quite good in comparison to last year. Did Melbourne and Malaysia so far finished 17 and 19 in my Virgin. (AI Expert, TCS & ABS enabled)
Handling feels great, had to get used to turning in much earlier. (I use a Logitech Rumblepad)
Wet Conditions are a b.i.t.c.h this year. Way more difficult than 2010.

Cheers

just ran a 50% race on monaco in career, on expert, force india, won the race by 58seconds... you can be ludicrously fast around there. Im thinking if you tried to make the AI as fast as you can do it, they'd crash. Pretty disappointing.. never going to have a close race on there unless we mod the AI.

I guess we will never see a game like Gp4 again in our lifes. This is sad... the Ai in Gp4 will overtake you, block you, be consistent, make realistic laps, no stupid mistakes and be tweeked very easily. but it's an old game. I tweeked the drivers with the database editor, i made them all "agression 0.9" and nothing happened, i also want to know what "control" "speed in" "speed out" "vitrual perf" tabs are? What effect they have.

I've finally found a somewhat decent solution after fiddling with the database.bin a bit. I've played with the drivers' values anyway to have them competitive at my personal level in my career game. I've put up aggression across the board, ranging from 0.25 to the full 1.00 instead of the lowish initial values.

What really helped the AI overtake was increasing the SpeedOut values by 0.2 across the board. It gives them a better exit out of corners and they actually can get alongside you. They still won't divebomb you or even just try and hold their position alongside you as long as you brake reasonably late, but I've had them make challenges at least now at Monza.

I was racing at Catalunya in the Wet, the front AI were setting about 1.25.xx, i was setting a 1.30.xxx in the Force India (Career Mode). All Ai on Inters i started 5th. I manage to get to P3 out out turn 1, then i am able to hold off the AI who are up to 5 seconds a lap faster than me in clean air all the way through the race. I had a 15 car train behind me lol.

They try to make attempts but just back off way before my braking point and never try the inside. They have only passed me around the outside, they either are on the racing line, which i am always on so they dont pass me here or the outside line. They never dive down the inside despite being faster out the corners.

i managed to hold on to P4 until the last lap i spun at the hairpin =(

I've finally found a somewhat decent solution after fiddling with the database.bin a bit. I've played with the drivers' values anyway to have them competitive at my personal level in my career game. I've put up aggression across the board, ranging from 0.25 to the full 1.00 instead of the lowish initial values.

What really helped the AI overtake was increasing the SpeedOut values by 0.2 across the board. It gives them a better exit out of corners and they actually can get alongside you. They still won't divebomb you or even just try and hold their position alongside you as long as you brake reasonably late, but I've had them make challenges at least now at Monza.

could you upload this file?

Well i put speed in-0ut at everyone from 0.85 to 1 and aggressions 0.8 to 1, and i can say they are better but not close to what it should be. Again they come behind you and then brake... and they don't dive to pass....never. We must make them dive in the turn to pass. I also changed the good cautious, poor-medium, all that but nothing seems to happen.

so sad AI is a game breaker again. it was my biggest concern :(

reports like jasjeet's about holding 5 second faster AI for an entire race just don't make me want to buy the game anymore. it's a pretty huge immersion factor killer. i hope you guys can find a workaround.

iceagecoming, I'll fiddle around with it a bit before posting the file.

Quick update: The only variable that matters for the no-see calculation of AI times is Virtual_Performance. I set Mark Webber's stats to 0 except for V_P which was at 1. By comparison I set all of Vettel's stats to 1. They performed equally when calculating results instead of simulating them (i.e. "skip session" or sitting in the pits, fast forwarding through the session at 6x or 30x).
As a control, I set all of MW's stats to 0, including Virtual_Performance. Vettel had everything at 1 again. Constant difference between the two, depending on the track. ~0.7s at Monza. 0.9-1.0s at Spa.
Stats like Speed In/Out apparently only play a role when the Ai is in your view and needs to be simulated on track instead of just throwing up imaginary laptimes.

I'll try over-charging the stats to more than 1.00 next, which could help with Speed In/Out and getting the AI to pass the player car more easily.

Yes only VP does affect them when you dont see them. I don't think you can get values more than 1... I think the it goes from 0 to 1, but you can test it an tell us the result... I race at singapoure, with Perez, 19th qualy, 3rd in the race, i was furious!!! It's dissapointing to get 16 places in the race and most of them at the first lap. Then i raced at SPA and the result was more realistic. 16th qualy and 17th at the race because of a spin... The races was at legend and 50% distance... Also the tyres doesn't last much, at singapure Ai made 4 pit stops on 31 laps!!!!!!!!! COME ON!

If you want the AI faster in the race, edit the "\Codemasters\F1 2011\tracks\circuits\silverstone or Sepang or Suzuka\route_0\ "ai_vehicle_track.xml". Im using the [Team AI] F1 2010 AI Tool Kit, faster to edit the *.xml files. Another fast way = BinXML1.1
To change the AI P&Q times just edit the database.bin \track model\hard_dry_lap_time_adjustment, -1 = -1 sec per lap / 1 = +1 sec per lap probably. use the new ryder database editor. Using this you can match the AI with your performance.
EX: if your lap time in Sepang is 1:30:500 and the AI 1:31:500 , just put -1.

Everyone plays differently ,so of course Codemasters could not make the AI times = our times. Sry for the english.

i changed some database values: upped the aggression by 0.3 across the board and the exit speed by 0.02 (unless they're already at 1)

Now they'll pass me on the straights at least.
Also, I'd like to look at decreasing the overall grip levels on all tracks, (or perhaps the tires) to make the lap times closer to real life.

Adjust AI strenght and other things

I hate feeling stupid, but looking for the screen where one can adjust the AI strength made me feel like a total n00b. (Which, on this game I am). I pretty much explored every screen from the top of the game and inside the various challenges. I could not find it anywhere. So I looked in the forums but all I found were instructions to start a GP mode, go to the "assists" hit a key and then you get to see this "advanced" menu where you can fine tune the AI.

#1 it seems silly to me that any menus are hidden. Why? But I tried hitting every key I have and nothing activated this mythical menus.I am tired of hearing about the "legend" AI. I have never seen where I can adjust that. I am also afraid that once I find it I'll see it's set on "easy, and I'll really get depressed :)

What am I doing wrong? (By the way, I am on PC)

Another question: T1 at melbourne seems a lot sharper than it was on f1 2010. I didn't play 2010 that much, but I remember being able to pretty much just lift and make the turn. This year I have to downshift and brake hard. Is this them or the track is actually changed this year? (or is it me?)

Finally, someone please alert the authorities that the Williams team has a serial killer working in the tire department. Have you seen his eyes?

I'm glad the changes helped you a bit iceagecoming. I think you could even maximize speed in and speed out to 1.00 for all drivers to make them more competitive when they're directly around you.

nikos_f3n, you could change the per session grip levels in the database under track_model if you want to reduce grip levels on a per-track and/or per-session level.
In the databse under tyres you can modify the max_distance variable to make them last longer.
I have tested neither of those though, feel free to report back on whether or not you can achieve your goals with those modifications.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back