F1 2011 Official 11/11 spring thread

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)

Richard Knight

GP2 - No.1 Virgin
Every game has it's flaws, 2010 was great, bugs and all but this major bug ruins it for me. Xbox league on hold for fix.
Please send a message to Coddies and complain! Please add any links you can, thanks

12/10/11 Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this topic! Okay, so this is not a bug! Check out John Robertsons post below, I think this sums it up nicely. We will be starting the Xbox leagues on the 20th Nov with a limit of 9/9 spring settings. As John says "we want our lap times to be a little more realistic". Hopefully CM will fix this physics flaw in the next patch (but don't hold your breath lol)

<removed the links>

"no it's not a bug, it's a flaw in the physics that codemasters used.

setting higher springs should make the car more responsive, less resistant to body roll, reduce cornering grip and traction, and increase tire wear

for some reason it doesn't work like that, it does make the car more responsive and roll resistant, but it actually increases grip and traction, and doesn't seem to have an effect on tire wear.

It's not correct, even within the game, as they've listed set up tips in the game based on real life, but following these directions to help your set up won't work.

It's up to you what you do with that info, I personally don't set my springs higher than 7/7 now and the league I race in follows that rule as well, but if you're trying to go as fast as the game will allow you to go then you've gotta set it at 11/11

The problem people have with it is that it's not remotely based on real life, and gives you an unreal amount of grip. the reason my league has capped it at 7/7 is because we want our lap times to be a little more realistic. doing 1:20's at singapore is just absurd xD"
John Robertson

A bug question/discussion

Hey all
Just joined the forum, read more than a few posts though, and there is 1 issue coming up over and over.
11/11 setting of Springs and Anti-Roll bars. I didnt think it was an issue on PS3 but there it is, available.
My question is:
Are you guys sure this is a bug?

My point of view is following:
It is there, accessible right from the start, no additional button-combos (cheats) are required in order to get access to this particular setting. More to it, it seems to be on all 3 platforms not only 1.
Another thing is that standard setting is 6 which is exactly the midpoint, 5 steps, between lowest (1) setting and the highest (11) setting.

Personaly i am not so sure it´s a bug, besides that, it does not fit my driving style. I dont think williams is set on anything higher then 9 on any of the tracks i´ve driven so far. 4 more to finnish the 1st season :D

no it's not a bug, it's a flaw in the physics that codemasters used.

setting higher springs should make the car more responsive, less resistant to body roll, reduce cornering grip and traction, and increase tire wear

for some reason it doesn't work like that, it does make the car more responsive and roll resistant, but it actually increases grip and traction, and doesn't seem to have an effect on tire wear.

It's not correct, even within the game, as they've listed set up tips in the game based on real life, but following these directions to help your set up won't work.

It's up to you what you do with that info, I personally don't set my springs higher than 7/7 now and the league I race in follows that rule as well, but if you're trying to go as fast as the game will allow you to go then you've gotta set it at 11/11

The problem people have with it is that it's not remotely based on real life, and gives you an unreal amount of grip. the reason my league has capped it at 7/7 is because we want our lap times to be a little more realistic. doing 1:20's at singapore is just absurd xD

It may just be me but the 11/11 bug doesn't work for me. If I try it the car feels very loose and way to responsive when turning. Do you need to put other settings to a certain number to trigger the bug?

I'm not too proud of cheating, I just want some grip!!

Is it really only 11-11??

I seem to find that in every race (career) the best set ups I can find have stiff springs and roll bars, not all the way up to 11-11 as I avoid that bug, but it just seems that there isn't really any major downside to having stiffer settings, even if you don't go all the way to 11-11.

I don't really lose out on tyre wear or cornering grip...the car just seems to be more pointy and responsive.

Is this just my driving style or have others felt this as well? I'm just wondering if the bug extends beyond 11-11

No it's not just 11-11. I'm starting to sound like a broken record but here goes:

11/11 springs is not a bug. The suspension system CM used is flawed and anything higher than 6/6 offers improved grip/response/tire wear/roll resistance and anything less offers worsened grip/response/tire wear/roll resistance

pretty much there's no down side to setting the springs as stiff as possible, many leagues have spring stiffness capped for the time being at 6/6, 7/7, or 8/8

Well, we can only wait (and hope it works).

Now, will someone bother to ask him about the cut corners issue? the fact that the game rewards you for going 2 wheels on the grass is terrible.

It's probably a 'minor' issue that will be addressed in F1 2012 ..... :wink:

..... or am I being a bit cynical?

I would just be surprised if there is any more than 1 MAJOR patch, the one we have had doesn't really count.

Hi, can someone clarify something :

I'm using ps3.............If I have the suspension setting to:

Does it affect traction? I am learning to drive with traction assist off. And if I have the setup above I seem to do quite well.

I'm assuming this is thought of as cheating? Would traction be far harder to cope with if it was

?

Am I cheating or using a good setup?

And am I learning how to drive without traction assist or kidding myself?

thanks

Overcoming Springs 11/11 to keep the realism?

How can I overcome this problem

Whilst running setup I put spring settings to the highest and soften untill happy. If i put them at 10/10 and reduce will I still have the same problem?

Is there a way to overcome this to "keep it real" in Career mode?

Overcoming Spring 11/11?

How can I overcome this problem

Whilst running setup I put spring settings to the highest and soften untill happy. If i put them at 10/10 and reduce will I still have the same problem?

Is there a way to overcome this to "keep it real" in Career mode?​

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years