Office chair sim racing/flight sim rig (sort of)

Never had a lot of space for a full on race rig. So, I've been using my office desk and chair. I need a way to connect the chair to my ClubSport pedal platform. I use 80/20 aluminum tubing to build a simple setup to keep it all together. It is working pretty well to keep everything stable, especially when heavy breaking. Thought I would post some photos of the setup.
uNsXPv8.jpg

pikWaEX.jpg

dqQsijj.jpg

gWVRtJW.jpg

PthkWBE.jpg

4U2tEQc.jpg

Before I built my rig I had a similar setup.
Although I took the wheels off the office chair worked quite well for awhile.

There is very good satisfaction I find in designing, sourcing material, then building your own rig.

Upvote 0
Yes, I very much enjoy the process of sourcing and building. This setup is ultra simple and allows me the flexibility to work and play on a very stable platform. Under the desk, there is a slide out platform where I mount my flight stick.

I am working with a buddy to build an elevated platform using 80/20 to mount his his sim rig onto. He has a rig which is not made of 80/20. Should be a fun project.

Upvote 0
That sounds like fun bring beer.
I'm a driver at a steel scrapyard, it is sim rig building heaven as we have miles of aluminum extrusion scrap, brackets, nuts, bolts, steel tubing you name it it's here.

Upvote 0
Sounds like heaven!
I'm starting to think about putting a rig together with profile. Just need to get the initial frame measurements correct and then go from there. Profile is pretty cheap over here in Malaysia

Upvote 0
Sounds like heaven!
I'm starting to think about putting a rig together with profile. Just need to get the initial frame measurements correct and then go from there. Profile is pretty cheap over here in Malaysia
Profile is very expensive here in the states. The various connectors and joining items are even more expensive. But, the material is a joy to work with. You can build whatever you can imagine.

Upvote 0
Great looking rig! I just built a small 80/20 rig as well. Luckily, I was able to keep it to the 80/20 stock I had from previous projects. It can add up - and as said, especially the gussets, plates etc.

What chair is that? Looks comfy.

Upvote 0
Great looking rig! I just built a small 80/20 rig as well. Luckily, I was able to keep it to the 80/20 stock I had from previous projects. It can add up - and as said, especially the gussets, plates etc.

What chair is that? Looks comfy.
I bought a race seat from Amazon and mounted it to an existing office chair base. Yes, it is extremely comfortable.

Upvote 0
Interesting rig. At one point I used a heavy gauge wire to wrap around the top of one of the chair caster wheels and connect the wire to the peddle deck. The heavy gauge wire was a hanger that I unfolded for the job. It worked great to prevent the chair from moving away from the peddles.

Upvote 0
Hi

Does the chair turn like a normal office chair and does it affect your racing ?
Yes, the chair swivels like a standard office chair. I use this setup for work and play, so it has to be all things at once. It works so well, I am considering connecting more 80/20 for a left side throttle mount and maybe a wheel mount. Still working on the design before I start cutting 80/20. That stuff is expensive.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing