• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Office chair sim racing/flight sim rig (sort of)

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Gpruitt54, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Ratings:
    +11
    Never had a lot of space for a full on race rig. So, I've been using my office desk and chair. I need a way to connect the chair to my ClubSport pedal platform. I use 80/20 aluminum tubing to build a simple setup to keep it all together. It is working pretty well to keep everything stable, especially when heavy breaking. Thought I would post some photos of the setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin

Ratings:
    +393
    Before I built my rig I had a similar setup.
    Although I took the wheels off the office chair worked quite well for awhile.

There is very good satisfaction I find in designing, sourcing material, then building your own rig.

3. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, I very much enjoy the process of sourcing and building. This setup is ultra simple and allows me the flexibility to work and play on a very stable platform. Under the desk, there is a slide out platform where I mount my flight stick.

I am working with a buddy to build an elevated platform using 80/20 to mount his his sim rig onto. He has a rig which is not made of 80/20. Should be a fun project.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin

Ratings:
    +393
    That sounds like fun bring beer.
    I'm a driver at a steel scrapyard, it is sim rig building heaven as we have miles of aluminum extrusion scrap, brackets, nuts, bolts, steel tubing you name it it's here.

5. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Ratings:
    +11
    Are you selling some of it?

6. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin

Ratings:
    +393
    Unfortunately it's not mine to sell, the owner let's me grab little bits here and there to mod my rig.
    Would be a nice side gig if I could.

7. ZeroRisk

ZeroRisk
    Pro racing driver for hire! (according to ACC) Premium

Ratings:
    +821
    Sounds like heaven!
    I'm starting to think about putting a rig together with profile. Just need to get the initial frame measurements correct and then go from there. Profile is pretty cheap over here in Malaysia

8. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Ratings:
    +11
    Profile is very expensive here in the states. The various connectors and joining items are even more expensive. But, the material is a joy to work with. You can build whatever you can imagine.

9. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Ratings:
    +11
    Search for an PC application called Frame Designer. Frame Designer is a really nice program used to design using 20/20. It is free. It works well. I used it to design my setup. It tends to crash, so save often as you go.
    https://www.framexpert.com/support/video/

10. motopreserve

motopreserve

Ratings:
    +3
    Great looking rig! I just built a small 80/20 rig as well. Luckily, I was able to keep it to the 80/20 stock I had from previous projects. It can add up - and as said, especially the gussets, plates etc.

What chair is that? Looks comfy.

11. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Ratings:
    +11
    I bought a race seat from Amazon and mounted it to an existing office chair base. Yes, it is extremely comfortable.

12. motopreserve

motopreserve

Ratings:
    +3
    Smart. Best of both worlds. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.