Offical Studio 397 Le Mans undriveable! (SOLVED)

Tarmac Terrorist

Paul McCaffrey
So i just bought the Le Mans track, was v much looking forward to this, but its undriveable, do to extremely low FPS and stutters.
Now I know this is a big track to render but even with one car on track and driveable FPS it stutters and hangs every 5 or 10 seconds. If i put 7 AI and me on track the FPS is so low (18 - 35 FPS) its unraceable. Can't even enjoy a lap on my own due to the stutters.
Now, big track yes, so how come the Vitua LM version runs like a dream with 16 cars on track? Lowering track detail doesnt even help much.
Is it just me experiencing this? Can't believe its not been optimized enough to drive even with one car.

Main reason I was looking forward to this track is the modern layout, laserscanned and the Virtua LM version is great but, the GTE's (probably GT3's aswell but not tested) AI can't handle the curbs before the starting straight and spin out, so I was thinnking the official version would have AI sorted for this track with all official cars. So gutted I can't run it well enough to find out

Well yes my system is an issue here, I can run other official tracks just fine with 14 to 16 cars but that is with a lot of graphics options on low or medium, and I have been thinking the stutters (even when FPS is stable might be me running out of ram). I’m running:

Core i5 2400 at about 3.10ghz processor
MSI H61M-E33 (B3) motherboard
4 G Crosshair RAM
GTX 750 ti Nvidia graphics card
Intel 250g SSD & Kingston 500g SSD drives

Heck my wheel is only a humble old Logitech GT. I know, I know, it’s stretching it. If I had money I’d happily set aside £10,000 to run this sim, for all of its faults I’d prefer 1 car type and 1 track to race in Rfactor than hundreds in any other sim, and I’ve tried a lot! Been at it since TOCA, Papyrus, LFS, RBR (still best rally sim!), GTR, GTR2, RF1, AC, PC2 etc, only ones I’ve never tried are iracing & Netcar.

Your hardware combo is not really that bad, I wonder if you would benefit from more RAM, 4GB is a bit low. rF2 puts a big load on your CPU, and I found that even when using low graphics settings if our CPU cant keep up then you will get FPS problems. Have a look at your CPU load (record/monitor with afterburner) while you are running rF2 if you see the CPU cores are hitting 100% then you will get render/physics thread sync problems, and a poor FPS.

Use afterburner to monitor the video card loads too, maybe it is your video card that is the limit as it has quite a low amount of VRAM.

One thing to try if you havent done so... Delete contents of the folders CBash and shaders located in \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log

One important detail missing from your system specs is what video resolution you are running. I could be possible to reduce your resolution to improve performance, but this would be a desperate measure.

Maybe check that you're using a separate thread for FFB commands? It's in controller .jason

So i just bought the Le Mans track, was v much looking forward to this, but its undriveable, do to extremely low FPS and stutters.
Now I know this is a big track to render but even with one car on track and driveable FPS it stutters and hangs every 5 or 10 seconds. If i put 7 AI and me on track the FPS is so low (18 - 35 FPS) its unraceable. Can't even enjoy a lap on my own due to the stutters.
Now, big track yes, so how come the Vitua LM version runs like a dream with 16 cars on track? Lowering track detail doesnt even help much.
Is it just me experiencing this? Can't believe its not been optimized enough to drive even with one car.
I to had this problem with an older Graphics card GTX690 and all I did was update it to the RTX2070 with no other PC upgrades and got playable frame rates with everything maxed out using the new'ish GT3 and GTE cars with 10 + myself on the grid...getting around 45 - 75 fps, which I am happy with.
If you are interested, here is a link to my Thread on my new RTX 2070

GTX 750 ti Nvidia graphics card
You definitely need a video card upgrade as 2 GB of VRAM is not enough for Le Mans once you put some opponents on track. You're not the first one to run into this problem with Le Mans.

If you want to still try with your current video card, turn down track detail and opponent detail. I don't know for certain it will help, but it's the only thing I can suggest.

FWIW, I would not buy any card now, unless it had at least 8megs video ram. Things will only become more graphically demanding as we move forward. Yes, folks will say 4megs is fine, 6megs too, but if you want to avoid your current situation again in a year or two, go for 8megs minimum.

FWIW, I would not buy any card now, unless it had at least 8megs video ram. Things will only become more graphically demanding as we move forward. Yes, folks will say 4megs is fine, 6megs too, but if you want to avoid your current situation again in a year or two, go for 8megs minimum.
Megs?

Back in my day we had 640KB and we were happy

Megs?

Back in my day we had 640KB and we were happy
yeah, 640 was plenty, I had custom boot loaders for Origin, Microprose, and about a half dozen others.
640 worked swell....
1577775575246.png

So is anyone else with a similar spec to me able to run this track reasonably? I can accept that it’s tuff to run FPS wise with several cars but I can’t accept that I can’t run it with even one and decent FPS but these stutters ruining it

@Tarmac Terrorist what is your setting for textures? With your GPU it could be one of the setting that might affect the performance on the latest S397 tracks. I know with my 6gb card I had to lower textures for the first time with Nords (all these graffitis comes to a cost). So with only 2gb of VRAM, textures resolution should be a problem on many of the latest track that use many high res textures.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%