I have got WRC 8+9 running very smoothly in the past and even made a quick video tutorial about how to do that.

But I switched monitors recently and noticed some small issues cropping up. I checked all my settings in game and nothing was different, I tried lowering every graphics setting in game to the lowest possible and it was worse...huge lag, huge stuttering on seemingly simple areas with not much going on visually. I got frustrated and blamed it on my somewhat lower performance graphics card compared to what's on the market (1660 super).

I checked task manager and saw the game was maxing out on cpu around 20-30%, ram at like 12% and gpu around 50-60%...this didn't make sense to me because any other game that I have played that stutters and drops frames is usually maxing something out to 99-100% frequently.

I bought a new cpu + better ram to fix my dirt rally 2.0 issues for VR and that helped a ton! I have a Ryzen 7 5800x and I undervolted it to 1.25v and overclocked it to 4.65ghz all core locked and that cleared up my random blue/black screens. The new cpu and ram also fixed my stuttering/frame drops with DR2.

But the issue with WRC 8+9 has me confused.

Out of frustration, I ended up overclocking my gpu by another 50hz and maxed out every single setting in the Nvidia gpu control pannel and went back to the game, maxed out every resolution/graphic/post processing setting and now it runs smoother than ever at a higher resolution to boot...I get more FPS with higher graphics settings?

This seems counter-intuitive, can anyone explain, why this is? I'm not complaining, because of course I'd much rather play the game at max settings. I was ready to shell out cash for a new graphics card (good luck finding one) because I thought mine couldn't handle this game at its lowest graphics settings and my gpu at its highest peformance settings.

My new monitor has freesync and I have it enabled, I am also overclocking my response time on the monitor itself.

Without knowing resolution and RAM etc., I would guess that it's possible you've undervolted your CPU a little too much? It's been a while since I've looked into the topic, but when I built another system for the "household" using the 3700X, I remember reading about overclocking causing possible issues with AMD CPU's throttling under load if they aren't supplied enough voltage. GamersNexus on YouTube has more info on the subject than I could provide, I would recommend starting there. It could also be possible there's a problem with the Infinity Fabric/RAM ratio? Let me know if you find a solution.

Without knowing resolution and RAM etc., I would guess that it's possible you've undervolted your CPU a little too much? It's been a while since I've looked into the topic, but when I built another system for the "household" using the 3700X, I remember reading about overclocking causing possible issues with AMD CPU's throttling under load if they aren't supplied enough voltage. GamersNexus on YouTube has more info on the subject than I could provide, I would recommend starting there. It could also be possible there's a problem with the Infinity Fabric/RAM ratio? Let me know if you find a solution.

I ended up setting up everything back to stock to see if that would fix my issues. I ended up also updating my BIOS and that helped a lot with my crashes. Also updated my drivers on everything I could find that needed it. It's really an odd situation cuz sometimes when I get my system tuned perfectly, it'll run for about a week or two and then Everything Will Change all in one day. Then I'll get a lot of crashes I'll fix it, then another week will go by and then Everything Will Change again, really strange. Don't know if it has to do with this ryzen 5800 X or the motherboard or what...

Ah, I feel for yah, I've been there. Once it was a USB driver error that took me months to track down, couldn't fix it, had to get another mobo. With my current PC (intel) it ended up being a tRC/tRFC timing issue with my RAM. Have you tried using something like HCI Memtest or Realbench to try and narrow down the issue?

Ah, I feel for yah, I've been there. Once it was a USB driver error that took me months to track down, couldn't fix it, had to get another mobo. With my current PC (intel) it ended up being a tRC/tRFC timing issue with my RAM. Have you tried using something like HCI Memtest or Realbench to try and narrow down the issue?
I have done memtest and found no issues. The recent bios update has allowed me to turn PBO back on, so Im happy I dont have to do an all core overclock to get performace out of my cpu.

Im wondering if its still my ram causing the issues even though it passed with zero errors. It was advertised as matched memory at 3200mhz but when I installed it the first time, my motherboard recognized it as 2666mhz memory, is that a common thing? I gave the ram a bit more voltage (1.35) and bumped it up to the advertised speed and it ran but perhaps thats my issue? I know from experience while maxing out my ram timings/speed/voltage, it can really be a headache to get right and can cause instability if you are even one little bit off.

I have tweaked the hell out of my system and everytime I feel like my system is running better than ever, it crashes seemingly out of nowhere. I run numerous benchmarks back to back, make sure everything is hitting the right temps/numbers, stability tests, I run multiple applications simultaneously and my pc passes. I even leave it running overnight doing various tasks and I wake up or sometimes even forget about it, come in the garage the next day and its sitting there smiling, asking for more tasks...lol

Really odd. Im back to square one and have EVERYTHING set to default whatever the bios thinks is "optimized". My benchmarks are a bit lower but it seems to work alright. My 5800x boosts to 4.875 all cores sometimes when Im playing games or rendering a video, so I guess its working...

Maybe my graphics card is the issue too...seems to be a bit of a bottleneck since my cpu is relatively powerful and my gpu is considered mid to lower-middle range. I see it maxing out 99-100 percent pretty frequently...

Last edited:
It's possible it could be your RAM still, have you checked to see if yours is on the QVL for your MOBO? It could be that tertiary timings are a little off of what your mobo supports and causing instability, even if you're using the "XMP" profiles. Or heck, it could be insufficient power delivery under certain types of load.

As far as stress testing, have you run Prime95? P95 can be configured to test specific parts of your system, like RAM/CPU/CPU Caches, to see where something may not be stable. It takes a bit of time to read up on which tests to use, but it helped me narrow down what was wrong with my system.

For GPU load, that's normal, you want your GPU utilization to be high, it means your system is offloading to your GPU for max frames.

It's possible it could be your RAM still, have you checked to see if yours is on the QVL for your MOBO? It could be that tertiary timings are a little off of what your mobo supports and causing instability, even if you're using the "XMP" profiles. Or heck, it could be insufficient power delivery under certain types of load.

As far as stress testing, have you run Prime95? P95 can be configured to test specific parts of your system, like RAM/CPU/CPU Caches, to see where something may not be stable. It takes a bit of time to read up on which tests to use, but it helped me narrow down what was wrong with my system.

For GPU load, that's normal, you want your GPU utilization to be high, it means your system is offloading to your GPU for max frames.
I will try Prime 95! Thank you for the suggestion, I think my power supply is somewhat decent its a 750w antec. Not sure if its considered a good psu.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 418 39.9%