Oculus Rift

hi folks
so the Oculus Rift is at 449€ in Germany (and i think they lowered the price worldwide). So my question: is there any new tutorial for this hardware for AC (setup, dos&don'ts etc) or any other recommandations what i should look at before i decide to buy this (not too cheap) hardware? I would do it mainly for Assetto Corsa but if there are also other nice things i will also look at this.
thx for helping and excuse my bad english
hape

12 isn't many though especially when you consider and XB1X with its pitifully weak Jaguar CPU can do double that with rain at 4K/60 and I'm assuming you don't drive around at the back with all the cars in view most of the race which is what it can't handle.

Like I said if VR wasn't just an afterthought and the rendering pipeline was designed around low latency, high FPS all our CPUs would hit 90 easily.

An article from Intel discussing it (and no they aren't trying to sell you a more expensive CPU!):

https://software.intel.com/en-us/ar...n-for-pc-based-vr-applications-from-the-cpu-s

I think you guys just don't notice it runnng at 45fps or ASW turning on/off. AC needs a lot of CPU power for 90fps with A.I, in fact all of the sims I've tried do.

If they were built from the ground up for VR then I'd agree that what we have now would be fine but using traditional rendering techniques and then adding VR is far more intensive.

I'm up at 13ms at times which correlates to about 75fps which isn't a million miles away but I think for locked 90fps you need a heavily OC'd 6700k/7700k as they don't really fully use more than 4 cores where IPC (instructions per clock aka single-threaded performance) wins out.
You can very easily check your CPU overhead or confirm what framerate the system is running. All that required is to open the Oculus Debug tool and set the Mode to ASW stats, Visible HUD to performance and enable the frame drop indicator.

? I'm confused about what you are arguing, you admit that you can't hold 90fps with 12 A.I cars in view which is exactly what I said, if you want a full grid of 20+ cars then it means it will stay below 90 for longer until it thins out, hence why turns 1 & 3 were an issue. I also tested mugello in an MX-5 with 15 cars for JoelG and in those cars because the racing is much closer and the track is much more open with less car occlusion it stayed at 45fps for a lot more of the race. Curiously CPU frametimes increased whenever in very close proximity to A.I cars, perhaps an extra A.I physics calculation or maybe just a higher LOD model.

Now don't get me wrong my settings are with the aim of holding 90fps in normal racing scenarios because only the top end recent CPUs would be enough in extreme cases even on the lowest settings which most people won't have. I'd hate to be an AMD sim racer because with their terrible IPC they have no chance of 90fps against A.I.

Hello everyone from Italy. Bought the Oculus last week and yesterday i've finally installed it on my Pc. I thought i was going to need a new graphic card but maybe it's not the case for now.

Even though the Oculus Home Page alerts me that my system is not optimized for VR, well... it works!

Intel i5 3.2 / Asus Z87 Pro MB / SSD HD 250 GB / 16 GB RAM DDR3 / Asus GeForce GTX 760 OC II 2GB / Win 7

In AC - set with all the kind suggestions i've found in this topic - it seemed fabulous to me... in AC i get 45 fps and the experience of driving around Spa with the F138 was great...

I was ready to buy a new GTX 1080ti card so i ask here: would it make a huge difference in the resolution i get? Running Windows 10 would also be a gamechanger? How is it possible that my VGA can make Oculus run?

Any opinion on the subject would be appreciated.

Hello everyone from Italy. Bought the Oculus last week and yesterday i've finally installed it on my Pc. I thought i was going to need a new graphic card but maybe it's not the case for now.

Even though the Oculus Home Page alerts me that my system is not optimized for VR, well... it works!

Intel i5 3.2 / Asus Z87 Pro MB / SSD HD 250 GB / 16 GB RAM DDR3 / Asus GeForce GTX 760 OC II 2GB / Win 7

In AC - set with all the kind suggestions i've found in this topic - it seemed fabulous to me... in AC i get 45 fps and the experience of driving around Spa with the F138 was great...

I was ready to buy a new GTX 1080ti card so i ask here: would it make a huge difference in the resolution i get? Running Windows 10 would also be a gamechanger? How is it possible that my VGA can make Oculus run?

Any opinion on the subject would be appreciated.
I think resolution will be the same as thats set for the Rift. Its more of the other graphical properties that you would be able to increase with a 1080ti (ex. AA, shadows, reflections, smoke, etc... and perhaps more AI). OTOH, your CPU may not hold up as well with it, Im guessing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back