Oculus Rift

hi folks
so the Oculus Rift is at 449€ in Germany (and i think they lowered the price worldwide). So my question: is there any new tutorial for this hardware for AC (setup, dos&don'ts etc) or any other recommandations what i should look at before i decide to buy this (not too cheap) hardware? I would do it mainly for Assetto Corsa but if there are also other nice things i will also look at this.
thx for helping and excuse my bad english
hape

I bought one yesterday but didn't have much time to mess with it. The one time I tried AC with it I couldn't get it to work and in iRacing the camera was way out of place.

I bought one yesterday but didn't have much time to mess with it. The one time I tried AC with it I couldn't get it to work and in iRacing the camera was way out of place.
I always have to "reset" my camera position once I setup and go in car in iR.

You can bind it to a button in iR.

thx for answering. I have a GTX1070 with a I7 4790K in combination. So i hope this will do it.
Do you had sickniss with the VR or not?
hape
Looks like i might need to upgrade my i5-4670k to the i7-4790. I did first time, but I think it was because I tried the roller coaster demo, w/c I regret. I dont think its much though with AC.

Thanks. It was too late and I just didn't have the proper time to mess with it. I also didn't see any VR specific controls/settings in iR either unless I was overlooking it.
Can't remember where it is but it's definitely there. I have it set to "=" and then use voice control to activate that. So I haven't had a need to change them for a long time. Try the controls tab in settings and scroll down (maybe).

thx for answering. I have a GTX1070 with a I7 4790K in combination. So i hope this will do it.
Do you had sickniss with the VR or not?
hape

Sorry for long post.

I have 980ti sli and 4790k but sli doesn't work in vr but single oc is fast as a 1070. It works fine but honestly, it needs more resolution, the next gen will be nice hopefully. I supersample through oculus debug tool and just use asw at 45fps for now, the headset feeds the other 45 fps and honestly you can't really tell the difference and the supersampling helps.

Without asw, you need 1080ti or more single card to run ultra and supersample to say 1.8 or something and it would start to look better, the aliasing is really bad at any longer distances but it still needs twice the resolution native for a really good experience. Might be time to upgrade for me.

No motion sickness for me and I will say this. I also have 3 4K monitors in surround and just being in the 3d cockpit is a whole nother experience, that trumps even my 3 way or 40" 4K samsung with track ir. You can find the apex a lot easier and the car just feels so much more connected and much easier to correct but my lines and brake points were slightly different, so it takes a little bit of time to make those adjustments. Plus, you can't quite see as far as on a larger screen so you also have to find new brake point markers or whatever but it's a really really nice experience if you are really into sim racing or flying or anything cockpit wise.

Last edited:
Sorry for long post.

I have 980ti sli and 4790k but sli doesn't work in vr but single oc is fast as a 1070. It works fine but honestly, it needs more resolution, the next gen will be nice hopefully. I supersample through oculus debug tool and just use asw at 45fps for now, the headset feeds the other 45 fps and honestly you can't really tell the difference and the supersampling helps.

Without asw, you need 1080ti or more single card to run ultra and supersample to say 1.8 or something and it would start to look better, the aliasing is really bad at any longer distances but it still needs twice the resolution native for a really good experience. Might be time to upgrade for me....
Glad you mentioned you having a 4790k, as I've been in the fence for sometime on whether I should upgrade to that from my i5-4670k (OCd to 4.3GHz), but from your feedback, it seems it would be insignificant (for $400 investment to upgrade). What SS do you use, 1.5?

Nice to have 90FPS w/c is why I've been trying to find settings that may allow running at this rate w/ several AI (like 14 at least), but always dips to 45fps, and using fixed 45fps w/ ASW isn't too smooth at times. Anyway, just want to get a benchmark w/ your setup. Thanks.

Glad you mentioned you having a 4790k, as I've been in the fence for sometime on whether I should upgrade to that from my i5-4670k (OCd to 4.3GHz), but from your feedback, it seems it would be insignificant (for $400 investment to upgrade). What SS do you use, 1.5?

Nice to have 90FPS w/c is why I've been trying to find settings that may allow running at this rate w/ several AI (like 14 at least), but always dips to 45fps, and using fixed 45fps w/ ASW isn't too smooth at times. Anyway, just want to get a benchmark w/ your setup. Thanks.

No problem, I've noticed using only asw though, it uses a lot more cpu power so maybe that's why it doesn't feel so smooth to you, I'm OC at 4.7 Ghz and it starts creeping up to 60-70% usage all cores. I would say it uses the cpu to feed those extra frames.

If I try to use no asw, you have to run basically no supersampling and even then it wont always run solid 90 fps and then it just looks really really bad aliasing on the trees and buildings and guardrails, etc...And I find the experience better with one or two judders per race vs what it looks like without supersampling, cause that can be really distracting and hard to find brake markers or even the turn in points.

Right now, I have everything ultra except the reflection rendering frequency set to static, which gives a good boost and nothing noticeable and I run 1.5 for SS with 20 AI plus AA set to 8x in assetto video ini and in nv control panel, enhance AA at 8x with reshade profile with fxaa and smaa. When the track loads and at the start of a race, it feels a little jittery but as soon as you start going, it levels out for me and maybe twice per race, I might get a hitch but honestly it feels just about the same as true 90hz. The 90hz does feel slightly crisper but not enough for me with the drawbacks at no supersampling.

hi
i have baught the Oculus. I don't know how to change the seat position. PageUp or PAgeDown seems not to work (also ESC for menu). Any ideas?
thx
hape
Just use CTRL+ Spacebar when seated in the car.
As to folks asking about processing power....
Any good modern CPU should run well in VR.
Heck!....I'm using an older I7-3820 and the thing just moves AC along at a very respectable clip.

I think you guys just don't notice it runnng at 45fps or ASW turning on/off. AC needs a lot of CPU power for 90fps with A.I, in fact all of the sims I've tried do.

If they were built from the ground up for VR then I'd agree that what we have now would be fine but using traditional rendering techniques and then adding VR is far more intensive.

I'm up at 13ms at times which correlates to about 75fps which isn't a million miles away but I think for locked 90fps you need a heavily OC'd 6700k/7700k as they don't really fully use more than 4 cores where IPC (instructions per clock aka single-threaded performance) wins out.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 251 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 166 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 123 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.8%