Oculus Rift support

Yes, AC has ordered a dev. kit.
I know this for a fact since i asked them about it.(some time ago)
It will be shipped in March/April.
Dont know if support will be there on day of release(AC),but the consumer version of the Rift
will probebly still take some time so no rush.
And i agree ,this could be a dream come true for a simracer.
They're just so excited about it as some of us are i think.:)

Thanks for the info, glad to hear that!

If your rig wheel and shifter has the same position as in game ones,than will be easyer than you think....When this will be released,its possible you can see your virtual hand when you shift gears,at least that will be mind blowing.

If this is anything remotely the same as the head mounted display I use to have to watch movies, play on the Playstation and pc, than I definitely don't want one.

The problem with my head mounted display is, that you are looking at a stationary game while moving your head. This is so confusion for your brain that you feel dizzy. Unless you keep your head completely motionless. Which isn't possible.
I and others that tried my HMD, always looked down, as if the HMD was too heavy. Even with a trackIR device, it's is still very unnatural to look at.

The only best way to have full immersion IMHO is still a triple monitor setup.

I sold the HMD because it was absolutely garbage to play games with. Only watching wovies was do-able.

This could be different though but I doubt it.

Company I bought it: http://www.vrealities.com/hmd.html

The difference could be, in a racing sim, forward is always looking over the steering wheel in the direction you're ahead (well, unless you're sideways :) ) only looking a bit to the sides, apex, other cars. I can imagine in a 1st or 3rd Person camera it's weird but IMHO in a car it can feel as connected as normal single or triple screen. Completely looking around already feels weird in sims, while natural in a real car, at low speeds. Not to mention motions will be more realistic in a sim with wheel and proper FoV. 1st person games make people dizzy because the motions and often the FoV are often actually not "smooth" and human.

Yeah I'm kind worried about the whole motion sickness deal, I'm very sensible to bad FOVs or too much lateral movement on screen, when I tried Doom 3 for the first(and last) time, I played the game for around 1 hour, by the end I was so goddamn sick I had to puke and lay down for the rest of the day. Since I've never used any kind of VR, I don't know if the sickness would be nullified or amplified with the Rift, I guess it's like Morpheus says, "you have to see it to understand". :speechless:

If this is anything remotely the same as the head mounted display I use to have to watch movies, play on the Playstation and pc, than I definitely don't won't one.

The problem with my head mounted display is, that you are looking at a stationary game while moving your head. This is so confusion for your brain that you feel dizzy. Unless you keep your head completely motionless. Which isn't possible.
I and others that tried my HMD, always looked down, as if the HMD was too heavy. Even with a trackIR device, it's is still very unnatural to look at.

The only best way to have full immersion IMHO is still a triple monitor setup.

I sold the HMD because it was absolutely garbage to play games with. Only watching wovies was do-able.

This could be different though but I doubt it.

Company I bought it: http://www.vrealities.com/hmd.html

Watching the videos posted will answer your question.....

the only drawback i see here is when using something like h shifter button boxes buttons on wheels i think it would be difficult to find them

In your real live car,do look at your shifter each time you need to change gears?
I hope not.
You probebly dont even think about where you shifter is because you know where it is.
If you have raced long enough with a certain race setup you automaticly "know" where your shifter is.
Button boxen is maybe a different story,i'll agree on that.:)

In your real live car,do look at your shifter each time you need to change gears?
I hope not.
You probebly dont even think about where you shifter is because you know where it is.
If you have raced long enough with a certain race setup you automaticly "know" where your shifter is.
Button boxen is maybe a different story,i'll agree on that.:)
Exactly, it's just a matter of getting used to the position of stuff, the same way people type without looking at the keyboard.

I think he was telling about red switchs and more there is on the G25/27 gear box ;)

But I did always used these switchs without looking when I was playing TDU (radio controls, glasses, headlights, horn, starter...), so I don't see any problems. I am using TH8RS now, localized on the right side of my chair, and I have no problem to find it without looking :)

I just watched the video clips and I have to say that it sounds very good but I'm still nog convinced.
Like I said, I had a VR Head mounted display with 3D capabilities and this sounds very much the same. The problem is that your eyes are literally shielded from the real environment. This will create a problem for you brain. In real life, when you move your head, the environment doesn't move. With the VR HMD, the game (image) is moving, when using a tracking device. This will, and believe me, create dizzyness. I have had my VR glasses for more than a year and tried it with GT4 on the PS2, and race games, such as GTR from simbin. It was definitely not the experience as I thought it would be. The best experience I had with these glasses was watching films. It was like watching at a big screen from a cinema. Although the two displays were very small, it created an image similar as a huge cinema screen.
The Oculus is much more advanced but at the end it is basically excatly the same as the VR glasses I had.
Mine costed over €400, so it was not a toy.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. A multi monitor setup is IMHO still a better way to play race games and probably cheaper.

I was as exited as most people on this thread until I bought a set of VR glasses. My exitement was quickly gone when I tried the glasses for the first time.

The dizzyness was the same as when I was visiting the universal studios in Burbank US. When I was sitting in a train, it went through a tunnel that was spinning around the train. It was very confusing for my brain, until I looked at the back looking at the environment outside the tunnel. I could fix my eyes on a fixed point outside the tunnel and the dizzyness stopped immediately. This is exactly the same with my VR glasses. Unless you have a fixed point of the real environment, you will get dizzy (maybe not all of the people that try out a set of the Oculus, but there will be a lot of them).

Like I said, I hope I'm 100% wrong but I'm going to wait and see and read more about it as it gets developed.

Not trying to be an ass but I have real life experience with these kind of devices and it was absolutely not what I expected.

It's normal for developers to talk about their product as it is something completely new and different compared to the devices already existing. It's called marketing.

Before I forget, I had a multi monitor setup for GT4 and it was waaaaay more exciting and better than my VR glasses.

Kikie, I understand that these VR glasses may give your lunch back on steering wheel hardware but, I think the problem with your VR glasses and GTR2 was not made for a real compatibility, just standard. The actual tool in the thread need accurate compatibility, that's why we're speaking here about a such possible thing from AC. Maybe you can compare experience with your VR and GTR2 as someone using a G25 with Rockstar's GTA4 wich was not developped for that tool, even both are really great work. Then play with T500RS on GT5, wich are made to run together and the experience will be not exactly the same ;)

I want that for simracing games, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease !
So do I.

In spite of what I said, I really hope I'm 100% wrong and the Oculus Rift is not the same as my VR glasses. The Oculus Rift could be a better solution than a multi monitor setup (compared to my VR glasses).
AND I hope it won't be too expensive. You probably going to need a decent pc configuration in order to be able to play all the games in 1080p and in 3D.

I'm looking forward for the OR to be released and hopefully I can try one out before buying one.

Kikie, I understand that these VR glasses may give your lunch back on steering wheel hardware but, I think the problem with your VR glasses and GTR2 was not made for a real compatibility, just standard. The actual tool in the thread need accurate compatibility, that's why we're speaking here about a such possible thing from AC. Maybe you can compare experience with your VR and GTR2 as someone using a G25 with Rockstar's GTA4 wich was not developped for that tool, even both are really great work. Then play with T500RS on GT5, wich are made to run together and the experience will be not exactly the same ;)
I really like your logic and I have to admit that I agree for 90%. I hope you're 100% correct though.

The only problem I still have with closed VR glasses is that your eyes are shielded from the environment. The only thing you see is the game inside these glasses (you're cut off from the real world, so to speak). And the OR is the same as the glasses I had. A closed setup that wraps around your eyes. And this has nothing to do with compatibility.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back