Oculus Rift Settings

Hi all finally got my self a Rift, what I need help with is my graphic settings for my GTX 1070 using triple screens but with resolution in game set at 1920x1080.
I'm finding it quite blurry and very grainy. so some help with this would be appreciated.
Have tried various settings posted by others but none seem to really help.
Thanks .

Hi Ian, I would suggest this thread http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/vr-and-sim-racing-a-guide-to-setting-up.131806/ to help you get started with rift. I run a 1080ti so my settings would be somewhat higher than what your 1070 is suited to run. Have you altered the PPD (pixels per display) setting in AC, the file can be found in documents/assetto corsa/cfg then open the oculus file there you will find pixels_per_display=1.0 you can set this to 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 up to 2.0 but be aware the higher you set the PPD the greater the load on your GPU. I run my ti at 1.7, I would suggest you slowly increase the PPD but 1.5 would be tops for a 1070.
In the thread linked above there is some links to some neat software that makes life a little easier when setting up rift, the oculus tray tool is one such app, the natural graphics mod linked in post #6 is also a worthy addition to helping with the visual impact of rift.
Hope it helps mate, cheers.

Try these if you want and see how you like it. I also have ASW in the Oculus Debug tool disabled.

Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (3).png

Tried a combination of settings as suggested. Getting a steady 60 fps. Still need it to be less blurred and sharper then will be happy. I know not going to get same quality as when I had triple screens, just be happy if I could see clearer lol.

Tried a combination of settings as suggested. Getting a steady 60 fps. Still need it to be less blurred and sharper then will be happy. I know not going to get same quality as when I had triple screens, just be happy if I could see clearer lol.

As weird as it sounds you need to give your brain time to adapt to it. My first week with VR I had a similar reaction to you, things were grainy and blurry, bad glare, and it was kinda hard to find my way around the track. After a couple weeks I noticed that I could see much better, the blurriness almost entirely went away, the screen door effect was barely noticeable, and everything was just a lot more pleasing. I hadn't really changed any settings on my PC, it was just my brain adapting to and making sense of what it was seeing in VR. If you have any nausea or motion sickness after 30-60 minutes of playing that will go away after a couple weeks too.

As weird as it sounds you need to give your brain time to adapt to it. My first week with VR I had a similar reaction to you, things were grainy and blurry, bad glare, and it was kinda hard to find my way around the track. After a couple weeks I noticed that I could see much better, the blurriness almost entirely went away, the screen door effect was barely noticeable, and everything was just a lot more pleasing. I hadn't really changed any settings on my PC, it was just my brain adapting to and making sense of what it was seeing in VR. If you have any nausea or motion sickness after 30-60 minutes of playing that will go away after a couple weeks too.
Let's hope that's the case would hate not to be able to use it. The 3D effect I found mind blowing, what a massive difference to immersion over triple screens.

Let's hope that's the case would hate not to be able to use it. The 3D effect I found mind blowing, what a massive difference to immersion over triple screens.

Almost every VR user goes through the same phase. :D After my first week I was this close to returning the whole thing for a refund because I didn't think I was going to be able to enjoy it, now I can't imagine ever wanting to return it and for whatever reason the things that bothered me seem to be almost non-existent now (or at least I don't notice them anymore). Getting your settings dialed in will help too but it will also take your brain some time to adjust. Hopefully you'll find that the benefits and immersion far outweigh the slight negatives. :)

Almost every VR user goes through the same phase. :D After my first week I was this close to returning the whole thing for a refund because I didn't think I was going to be able to enjoy it, now I can't imagine ever wanting to return it and for whatever reason the things that bothered me seem to be almost non-existent now (or at least I don't notice them anymore). Getting your settings dialed in will help too but it will also take your brain some time to adjust. Hopefully you'll find that the benefits and immersion far outweigh the slight negatives. :)
Out of curiosity what are your settings?

@Brian that is my issue also so not sure if VR is right for me. I set everything up and took a test drive on 1966 Monza Jr. Course. I pulled out of pitlane and when I took the first right-hand corner,
my brain and body seem to compensate for real-world g/lateral movement and then I kinda got sick LOL
1f641.png
:( Motion Sickness, I'll give it a go later and see if that changes. How many hours did it take your brain to get acclimated to VR? I am using Samsung Gear Vr. via Oculus on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and using Riftcat 2.0 pc app and VRidge app from Google Play Store. One issue with these apps is that Riftcat 2.0 only gives you 5 minutes runtime unless you unlock with a one-time payment of $14.99 USD. I am not sure I want to pay the $14.99USD if I can't handle VR.
My Graphics Card is the Gefroce GTX1060 6gb and everything sync up well.

As weird as it sounds you need to give your brain time to adapt to it. My first week with VR I had a similar reaction to you, things were grainy and blurry, bad glare, and it was kinda hard to find my way around the track. After a couple weeks I noticed that I could see much better, the blurriness almost entirely went away, the screen door effect was barely noticeable, and everything was just a lot more pleasing. I hadn't really changed any settings on my PC, it was just my brain adapting to and making sense of what it was seeing in VR. If you have any nausea or motion sickness after 30-60 minutes of playing that will go away after a couple weeks too.[/QUOTE]

I'm also using a 1070 and playing with settings, trying to get a consistent 90fps in VR.
Res 1920 x 1080 (but I'm pretty sure the Oculus will render at what ever it's meant too)
V sync = off
frame limit = off
Anisotropic = 16x
Anti-Ali = 2x
World detail = Very high
Shadow = high
Reflection Quali = Medium
Frequency = low
Super Sampling = 1.5

Out of curiosity what are your settings?

Not sure, haven't been on AC in awhile but I think most things we're around 3/4 of maximum.

@Brian that is my issue also so not sure if VR is right for me. I set everything up and took a test drive on 1966 Monza Jr. Course. I pulled out of pitlane and when I took the first right-hand corner,
my brain and body seem to compensate for real-world g/lateral movement and then I kinda got sick LOL
1f641.png
:( Motion Sickness, I'll give it a go later and see if that changes. How many hours did it take your brain to get acclimated to VR? I am using Samsung Gear Vr. via Oculus on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and using Riftcat 2.0 pc app and VRidge app from Google Play Store. One issue with these apps is that Riftcat 2.0 only gives you 5 minutes runtime unless you unlock with a one-time payment of $14.99 USD. I am not sure I want to pay the $14.99USD if I can't handle VR.
My Graphics Card is the Gefroce GTX1060 6gb and everything sync up well.

It can take a good two to three weeks before the woozy feeling goes away.

Edit: Here's another "through the lens" video I took with my cell phone Friday night showing how PCars2 looks in VR. This one I was onboard with somebody while they were driving so you can get a sense of how motion looks. This is with the new sharpening feature at 0.6 which does make it look a bit nicer, I never play this game though so my settings aren't exactly dialed in but it still is not a blurry mess as some people always claim.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back