Oculus Rift S + 1070ti

Hi there,
I'm currently running on a 37" FHD TV. My system specs are as follows:
-i7 8700
- GTX 1070ti
-16Gb Ram

Rift S is on offer this week (50€ discount). Will I be able to run it decently on my computer when racing Project Cars 2 or AC?
Will I have low fps problems unless I decrease resolution significantly?

I want to invest some money to upgrade my rig, however I don't know where to start (I have a Logitech G25 wheel and pedals set). If you think my PC will be enough for VR I may start upgrading from my old TV to the Oculus. If it's gonna cause trouble, I will start by upgrading the wheel+pedals and leave the monitor upgrade for later on.

Thanks for your advice .

You should be OK for AC at least, I had a similar setup. I had the 8700k and a 1070.

I currently have a i7 8086 and the 1070 but I plan to upgrade to a 2070 soonish. The 1070 is currently a bottleneck in ACC. I can run AC maxed out now. I couldn't before on the 8700k. I was able to run at medium settings.

When it came to normal VR games the 8700 was fine. Kunos software is a resource hog.

You should not have any issues, provided the rest of the computer is properly optimized. I ran a 1070 non-Ti with a very slightly O/C I7 3820 with a CV1 and no issues.

Thanks for your comments. What's the minimum acceptable resolution and Fps I should aim at to achieve a decent experience?
I've seen some benchmarks with the 1070ti where average fps was about 60fps or even lower depending on the game and the resolution setting. This is quite acceptable on a monitor, but what about VR? Should I try to keep fps around 80 to prevent motion sickness (max Fps for the Rift S) or 60fps is still quite good?

You will need to experiment. Oculus has ASW which drops the fps to 40 if the GPU is struggling to stay at 80 fps, but then sort of fills in the gaps. Some people are quite happy with this, others don’t like it.

You will have to find a compromise between level of graphics, how much supersampling you use for the Rift S and your fps.

But for me, upgrading to VR (Rift CV1 with 980ti) was best upgrade I ever did. I now have a Rift S and 2080ti and still cannot run everything at max in AC or PC2, especially with a lot of AI. But I love it.

Thanks!
By the way, one stupid question: Do yo need to purchase your games againg to play in VR or the normal AC and PC2 games will also work with VR if you already have them?

cheers

Thanks!
By the way, one stupid question: Do yo need to purchase your games againg to play in VR or the normal AC and PC2 games will also work with VR if you already have them?

cheers
You do not have to purchase again.
Not sure about Pcars as I've never run it.
For AC...simply launch Steam then right-click Assetto Corsa followed by a left-click of Properties.
Left-click 'Set launch options' and type -vr in the box. Save and close the page.
Once you enter the game...under Options (looks like a gear)...select video and in the box directly below the one showing the game resolution....select Oculus.
That's it.

Thanks for your help.
Is the Rift S a good enough VR set so as to keep it as your simulator's main display unit or is it just some sort of curious experimental device which is nice to play with every now and then but not intended to be used every time you step into your rig?
In other words, is it supposed to be a game changer that will never make me want to use my old 37" TV again or it will not totally replace my TV? I know in the end it all comes down to personal preferences. My question is if the Rift should technically be a big step forward when coming from a flat TV, at least for some people.

Thanks for your help.
Is the Rift S a good enough VR set so as to keep it as your simulator's main display unit or is it just some sort of curious experimental device which is nice to play with every now and then but not intended to be used every time you step into your rig?
In other words, is it supposed to be a game changer that will never make me want to use my old 37" TV again or it will not totally replace my TV? I know in the end it all comes down to personal preferences. My question is if the Rift should technically be a big step forward when coming from a flat TV, at least for some people.

VR is a game changer - no doubt about it, but there'll be times where you may not want the HMD strapped to your head cutting you off from the real world, meaning you'll go back to the TV.

So no IMO. It won't replace your TV, but they'll both compliment each other.

Thanks for your help.
That's a bit subjective. I think it is, it was a one way street for me. I can't see myself ever going back. If you can get used to the pixelation the immersion is second to none. I don't have a monitor on my sim rig, it's VR or nothing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 79 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 64 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.5%