Oculus Go...Nice, inexpensive VR that works with most sim titles.

History... Since 2009, I have been racing on a projection DLP using Nvidia 3D vision. Its always hard not to race in 3D, once you’ve tried it; especially with the rf2 and Pcars karts.

So I was in the local Wal Mart about 5 months ago, and found the Oculus Go VR for $200. I figured what the heck; I’d try it out for the novelty. The built in apps are mostly rubbish, and I quickly became bored with it.

I later found out about the ALVR freeware through Github. I spent a few days studying up on software settings. One AC2100 Wifi router and RTX 2070 gpu upgrade later, and I am running Pcars2, Dirt Rally 2.0, rf2, AC, iRacing, and Kart Kraft at 60-70 fps with high to ultra settings and 200% SS through this VR headset. It maxes out at 72 FPS (software limitation). It took a little tweaking as usual to trade some quality for FPS. I have not tried any other VR headsets, so I cannot compare, but to me it is DAMN good!

This thing was dirt cheap, weighs next to nothing, is wireless and works reliably every time. Never any software communication issues because it gets the signal as a wifi stream. Perfect for sim racing because it only operates on 2 axis, so no issues with head movement skewing driver position, which makes it great for motion sims. I still drive the cars through my pedals & wheel, hooked up to the PC and the sound still comes through the PC speakers.

I’m not sure how many other people know about this; I’ve only come across a few on reddit...

Just an idea for anybody else who wants to try a very simple VR racing solution on the cheap (literally $200 and some freeware).

Cheers.

Well you probably haven't tried a proper VR headset for simracing. 2axis was DK1 technology. With 200usd you can find a used CV1 which will give you an overall much better experience.

Upvote 0
Well you probably haven't tried a proper VR headset for simracing. 2axis was DK1 technology. With 200usd you can find a used CV1 which will give you an overall much better experience.

Glad to hear you’ve already tried the Oculus Go and somehow determined that its not a proper headset, and a worse experience that other current headsets fo sim racing.

You’re the very first Oculus Go owner that I’ve ever seen say that.

Upvote 0
You probably thought I was offensive? Not at all my intention and sorry if I sounded like that. I am a huge fan for immersive things. I also had tried a 3d projector before VR came out and then I also tried non proper VR solutions(wired or wireless phone solutions) before trying oculus DK1 and on. I haven't tried Oculus Go, and I wouldn't bother by today's standards for sim racing. My best VR gaming was with the oculus quest. All in one. But for VR racing, and from what I understand you are impressed by it, I can wholeheartedly tell you that you are missing by using the solution you suggested. There is surely a latency issue (small or worst), and the lack of more DOF is taking away from the experience. I wasn't suggesting a 1000$ last gen VR headset. At the price point I'm saying that proper VR experience is possible, CV1's are sold all over the place and you'll understand what I'm talking about once you try it. No need to argue here. It's just a suggestion from a fellow sim racer that has a bit more experience on the subject. Cheers

Upvote 0
Not offended at all. My goal here is to make others aware who have not tried yet tried VR (or who may already own a Go) that this is a very simple, affordable and effective solution. It’s obviously not the best offering; like anything, it has its pro’s and cons. I’m not sure who or what exactly determines what is “standard” or “proper” or what isn’t. In the end its all subjective to the user. Right now the biggest VR limit is resolution, regardless of which unit is used.

Neither me (nor the numerous friends that have been over) find latency noticeable at all (although it was definitely noticeable along with numerous packet losses prior to me setting up a proper 5G wireless connection to the Go). As far as the DOF issue, I find I have little need other than yaw or pitch for sim racing; in fact even less now than I did back in the days of freetrack/trackir.

When I say I have never tried any other VR, I should have clarified; I was referring to using one in my racing sim. I went to the 2 largest and newest VR arcades in Seoul, S. Korea last month and used numerous Vive/Oculus/Samsung headsets in the different applications they had, and very few came close to the graphic quality I am getting (Granted none if them were running 200% supersamling on brand new titles). Not to mention the weight of those headsets vs mine; and having to be attached by a cord.

I am excited about the newer generation VR and I do not plan to invest in anything else VR until those units become available. In the meantime, I find this more than adequate.

Upvote 0
Not the best out there but better and cheaper than Go

And for a little more you can get gorgeous Odyssey+ with higher res, AMOLED, adjustable ipd, and anti SDE screens.

I see you not only own a Go, but an HP mixed reality as well. Since you claim the HP mixed reality is better, can you please tell us all what differences stuck out between the two while you were sim racing that caused you to arrive at that conclusion?

For $400 one can buy a new, non-refurbished odessey+ ($329 refurbished from Newegg). I wouldn’t consider nearly twice the cost a “little” more, but ok.... Granted you get another 400 vertical pixels with it, but you will not be able to add as much supersampling, due to GPU software processing limitations, and you will still be plugged into your computer and limited to the HMD’s software interface, just as you would be with the hp...Are your eyes that far apart that you need adjustable IPD? Does AMOLED and antiSDE (gimmick; I do not notice SDE at all with the Go either) really matter to you at this resolution?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Sounds like someone lived under a rock for at least last 5 years, decided to try one of he worst by today's standards VR experiences and trying to convince everyone that this is bee's knee.
If you like Go, fine, but all we are saying that for the same money you can get a much better experience if do your homework and shop wisely.
BTW, Odyssey+ goes on sale quite often for $299 and AntiSDE is not gimmick, I owned both version, original and Plus to tell that there is big difference.

P.S.
And drop that chip off your shoulder, we are not here to fight.

Upvote 0
The way I read the OP .
"Hey , if you never tried VR in your racing sim and your intrested but can't justify the cost of a rift s or .so ...,then you can try it in a cheap but good way. Here is how. ......................
Then maybe if your impressed by the immersion of VR, it may inspire you too upgrade later on. Your Welcome :)

Upvote 0
What is the heat level like, oculus rift melts my head in long races,especially ACC because it makes my GPU scream for a solid hour and the room becomes an ovan. (does it work with ACC?)

Upvote 0
Sounds like someone lived under a rock for at least last 5 years, decided to try one of he worst by today's standards VR experiences and trying to convince everyone that this is bee's knee.
If you like Go, fine, but all we are saying that for the same money you can get a much better experience if do your homework and shop wisely.
BTW, Odyssey+ goes on sale quite often for $299 and AntiSDE is not gimmick, I owned both version, original and Plus to tell that there is big difference.

P.S.
And drop that chip off your shoulder, we are not here to fight.

You’re the one who came to the thread I posted saying xxx is a better experience...But YOU DONT even own a Go, nor have any experience with one.

Chip on my shoulder? No...Its just kinda aggrivating when people INSIST on coming into your thread and posting personal opinions as facts about something they don’t even have any personal experience with to begin with.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
What is the heat level like, oculus rift melts my head in long races,especially ACC because it makes my GPU scream for a solid hour and the room becomes an ovan. (does it work with ACC?)

The VR front panel itself gets warm, but not to the point that conductive heat from it has ever bothered me. Its also extremely light. It will work your gpu as much as any other VR will.

Yes, it works with ACC using ALVR.

Upvote 0
The way I read the OP .
"Hey , if you never tried VR in your racing sim and your intrested but can't justify the cost of a rift s or .so ...,then you can try it in a cheap but good way. Here is how. ......................
Then maybe if your impressed by the immersion of VR, it may inspire you too upgrade later on. Your Welcome :)

Nope. Screw the OP for taking the cheapest, lightest weight, convince the wife friendly, wireless, 1440 resolution VR headset available on the market and spending numerous hours figuring out how to actually make it work well for use in racing sims.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years