Oculus Dev Kit V.2

That FB deal will most likely lead to me not buying the Oculus at all, I'm strongly against such corporate sellouts.
I think that's a little naive, I doubt Facebook will have much interference in the company - and are likely simply investors, Oculus was probably a conspicuous acquisition.

I think they're planning to go down the route of Google, buying up tech companies to help fund their development - obviously to capitalize on it. They're providing Oculus with a crapload of money, which can only be good in my opinion. To not buy a product based on opinion of the financial makeup isn't exactly a route I'd go down, to be honest. It's the end product that matters.

Upvote 0
I don't care how much or little Facebook interferes with the development of the Rift.
Facebook owns Oculus, so Facebook will be earning money off of Rift sales, and I don't want to support Facebook so I won't buy the Rift.
Simple as that really.
And I think the fact that they first gathered massive support on kickstarter and then sold their asses to Facebook is a utter disgrace and spitting in the face of the backers of the kickstarter. Luckily I heard about it too late and didn't pledge.

Upvote 0
Palmer about VRD tech:

VRDs use a scanning point of coherent light (usually from a laser) to draw an image directly on your retina. The Glyph reflects incoherent light off a DLP chip from three different colored LEDs sequentially (a no-no for VR that Abrash has talked about at length on his blog, check out his post on color fringing artifacts). Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but a true VRD is much further down the road, and one of the best potential display technologies for VR.

You are right that screens with big lenses in front of your eyes is essentially a brute force design, a design that relies on utilizing the scraps of the mobile phone industry to provide a good VR experience at the cost of performance and form factor. Doing better requires insane resources, which we now have. :cool:

Upvote 0
Great Drama but, corporate sellouts are everyday business. I've lost many customers in my business over the last year due to just that. My mom used to say, "Learn to Roll With the Punches, Kid".

BTW, there is a new and direct competitor coming for the Rift. They are planning a KickStarter Campaign as well. The specs are interesting - a little different approach to motion sensors implemented. http://www.trueplayergear.com/

It's called Totem and they are planning for release around Christmas. The cameras may also serve to augment real view - for use with controls I assume. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/true-player-gear-reveals-alternative-to-oculus-rift/1100-6418642/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat as Kjell. Mark Zuckerberg stole the basis for FB from a couple of college 'friends', and i say friends very loosely. He then had help in making it the billion dollar company it is now and it is basically a spying tool now.

I despise the bloke and FB, they are both not to be trusted. The tech we have now is far behind what is really out there and i for one don't want anything to do with something that he has his hand in.

Oculus got off the ground and made a breakthrough bit of kit in the Dev Kit 1 but Palmer has now sold out. It wouldn't be as bad if it had been bought by someone else that truly cared about gaming but for it to be in the hands of Zuckerberg is and should be worrying for everyone, but then again some people love FB, i for one can see the direction this is going in.

This is the biggest disappointment for me personally, i just cannot see this being a good acquisition for us the consumer, it absolutely stinks. Zuckerberg is a crafty and cunning POS and nothing that he has a hand in will be good for us. You just have to look at the backlash on the forums to see that this has not been a good move. Those that say it is just business don't realise that people like MZ don't care about consumers, just look at the insane privacy policies that FB use, owning every picture you post and sharing data with the NSA etc it will not suprise me when they install retina scanners in the Rift and i don't want any part of it.

Well don Oculus, you have taken one of the best ideas in recent times and now handed it to the Devil, sellout doesn't even come close.

Upvote 0
About that FB destroying the Rift as a product part, judging by how little FB has changed Instagram since acquisition I think it's quite possible that Oculus will be left alone to develop the Rift exactly how they see fit (though there's ofc still lots of time for FB to put their fingers in the jar and mess things up in both cases).

But that all makes little difference to me. I vote with my wallet, and I'm very reluctant to sharing any of my hard earned cash with FB.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, voting with one's wallet rarely has much effect. So long as there are 1000 people buying for every one refusing to buy on principle - it makes no difference what-so-ever.

I have boycotted companies that wronged me before - no one really cares so long as there is some benefit in it for them. Granted, in this case there are large numbers voicing their dismay online so maybe it will work. In the end, we may still only be hurting ourselves. Time will tell but, there are other alternatives in the works and many who jumped off the Oculus band wagon will now have other companies to support.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, voting with one's wallet rarely has much effect. So long as there are 1000 people buying for every one refusing to buy on principle - it makes no difference what-so-ever.

I have boycotted companies that wronged me before - no one really cares so long as there is some benefit in it for them. Granted, in this case there are large numbers voicing their dismay online so maybe it will work. In the end, we may still only be hurting ourselves. Time will tell but, there are other alternatives in the works and many who jumped off the Oculus band wagon will now have other companies to support.
It makes a difference to me knowing I didn't support FB. Sadly, you are right, and this FB deal will probably end with even more people buying the Rift than if they didn't.
Also, I said "likely", as in I might end up buying it anyways, but it has to be that much better than any competitor for that to happen.

Upvote 0
It makes a difference to me knowing I didn't support FB. Sadly, you are right, and this FB deal will probably end with even more people buying the Rift than if they didn't.
Also, I said "likely", as in I might end up buying it anyways, but it has to be that much better than any competitor for that to happen.
Yes, I know what you are saying. It's a personal choice and knowing that it matters to you is enough. I can't argue with that and I don't think that our opinions are that different anyway. In the end, VR is a very exciting prospect for me and I think it can be a "Game Changer" in terms of raising the "immersion" as well as increasing the speed at which we learn. Being older myself, I'm not going to wait too long to have those kind of experiences while I have the chance.:)

Upvote 0
I was already not ready to jump headlong into this product anyway but having Facebook buet it has given me even more pause. I would to what to see their angle for this purchase before I jump on.

Upvote 0
I was already not ready to jump headlong into this product anyway but having Facebook buet it has given me even more pause. I would to what to see their angle for this purchase before I jump on.
Yes, it's understandable given the companies history but, I also tend to believe that the Oculus guys are determined to deliver one way or another. They are too passionate and dedicated to VR to fail IMO. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Upvote 0
Some developers have had a DK2 for a couple of months and already have new titles running very well with it. All they have said so far is that it is a big step up from DK1 and that we are going to have a lot of fun with it! Some of the first batch shipments are arriving now.

Update: Early reports are suggesting that the DK2's higher resolution makes racing-sims much more playable with the ability to now see braking points better - not perfect yet but, much better than DK 1 - as is the head tracking. The ability to zoom in (leaning forward) to read/focus on text in menus, gauges, dash, etc., greatly improves usability. Color contrast is much improved as well. The need to have the new SDK integrated does render almost all games unplayable initially but, work-around's are being found. Pcars native support should be updated in the next few days. Good stuff, I can't wait to try it for myself. Cv1 will be even better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As in a maximum of 2 hours stints... at Le Mans drivers don't drive for 6 hours in a row..
But they can go for 4 hours as far as I know.

I find it very interesting, but one of the issues is, that I can't see the buttons on my wheel, button box or the dash I use, which would be a real shame :D
As you are not allowed to sell the DK2 (on ebay and such) I have to wait for the final version. Compared to triple screens it is rather cheap.

Upvote 0
But they can go for 4 hours as far as I know.

I find it very interesting, but one of the issues is, that I can't see the buttons on my wheel, button box or the dash I use, which would be a real shame :D
As you are not allowed to sell the DK2 (on ebay and such) I have to wait for the final version. Compared to triple screens it is rather cheap.

I can find every button on my buttonbox or steeringwheel with my eyes closed.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back