NVidia RTX Super

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
The 2080 improved, but what I've seen is still no where near a 2080Ti.
It's down by over 1200 CUDA cores.

The supers look like they are being OC'd like 3rd party cards.

Also note that some 2080Ti's have a base clock of near 1500 and a boost of around 1800 MHz

I think we will need to see the benchmarks for them to see how much of a difference they are. They could surprise us good or bad.

View attachment 313468
You are correct. There are just too many numbers to keep track ^^

Regarding the performance of certain cards, there will be 2080 super cards that will also have a much higher base clock. In an apples to apples, the 2080 ti reference will have:
288 TMUs * 96 ROPs * 1,350 MHz = 37 TFLOPS of performance

The 2080 Super:
192 TMUs * 64 ROPs * 1,650 MHz = 20 TFLOPS of performance.

So the 2080ti will still be about twice as fast in computing tasks (not gaming).

The 2080 ti will still reign supreme. Until the super duper comes along that is.

This a pretty good at a glance comparison relative to the original 2080.

My "guess" is that VR is much more like 4K in that it is pushing the card very hard.

benchmarks.jpg

So 2.5 years after release the 1080ti really has no card that is worth upgrading to! What a shame. I mean 30 odd % more performance is still the biggest jump and we have about 6 cards that fill that spot.
I just don't think they are capable of more performance,

So 2.5 years after release the 1080ti really has no card that is worth upgrading to! What a shame. I mean 30 odd % more performance is still the biggest jump and we have about 6 cards that fill that spot.
I just don't think they are capable of more performance,
They are. I mean the 2080ti blows the 1080ti away by a margin. Problem is the cost. Team red will get there eventually. Once their drivers and architecture mature a bit. But yeah, this 2080 super is disappointing. I was thinking I might be able to grab a stock 2080 or a 1080ti cheaper but it doesn't appear to be the case.

They are. I mean the 2080ti blows the 1080ti away by a margin. Problem is the cost. Team red will get there eventually. Once their drivers and architecture mature a bit. But yeah, this 2080 super is disappointing. I was thinking I might be able to grab a stock 2080 or a 1080ti cheaper but it doesn't appear to be the case.
A 25 - 30% performance increase is not a worthy upgrade for me or anyone who has a realistic budget. If your rolling in money well why not get the RTX Titan.
The 2070 should have had 1080ti performance a year ago and 2080ti should have been 50% faster to justify an upgrade for 1080ti users.
People gotta remember we are paying thousands of dollars to do what consoles do, play games haha, a bit of perspective is needed sometimes.

I got my 1080Ti for about $645 and I've been enjoying it since before the RTX cards were released. Zero regrets. That said when my Valve Index gets here if my i9 is not single core bottle necked and it looks like I would have room to run with a 2080Ti, I may consider it, but I would prefer to wait until the next gen cards get there.

As far as whether 25-30% vs. 50% is worth it is far from a simple proposition.

It all depends on thresholds.

If I am 15% away from being able to run at 120 fps in AC or PC2 or Dirt Rally ( if I'm really lucky ) and I "hope" to live with the Index for maybe a couple years. I either choose 90, or 60 reprojected to 120, or I anti up.

It's a tough call. Since I'm on the fence already, that is a bad sign. It means I just need one day of weakness and the deed will be done.

Last edited:
I've had the the MSI Ventus OC 2080S in my cart all day, but still haven't pressed pay. Running the 1070 now, and just want a bump while playing in VR. Maybe i should just wait until the next release...

It should be nearly two times faster than a stock 1070. If you have the means, then go for it. There's not going to be a new GPU generation until the next year

I've had the the MSI Ventus OC 2080S in my cart all day, but still haven't pressed pay. Running the 1070 now, and just want a bump while playing in VR. Maybe i should just wait until the next release...
Better check if it is Gpu or Cpu that is holding you back first.
If GPU than OC the GTX 1070. Some of them can get a significant boost.

CPU @ 4.9GHz and GPU as high as Afterburners OC scanner allows me :) but thanks :)

Need to do more research! No Type-C on the Ventus :O

Last edited:
I mean, a 2070 Super can get nearly the same performance when OCed and you can get a sec0bd hand 1080ti for about 500 pounds. Much better buys than the 2080 super. Nvidia was so scared of stepping on the toes of the 2080ti that they put out a completely irrelevant card.

I mean, a 2070 Super can get nearly the same performance when OCed and you can get a sec0bd hand 1080ti for about 500 pounds. Much better buys than the 2080 super. Nvidia was so scared of stepping on the toes of the 2080ti that they put out a completely irrelevant card.

you make a fair point. waiting for some good OC comparisons between the two :)

I went from 1070 Gaming OC to 2080 Gaming OC ....far from disappointed :O_o:

Top End CPU and GPU performance get closer all the time
Now people say more and more better value with 9700K or 3700X
If we all cared about value we would all have $300 wheels :roflmao:
Even reviewers say people get 9900K or 3900X are touched or something
They say get cheaper CPU and move up a GPU ......well dur we been doing that for decades lol

Not about money at least for me

Yeah i went from 1060 (1 month) to 1070 (6 months) to 1080ti (26 months) and couldn't be happier with my purchase of 1080ti, 1060 was a mistake but made my money back and 1070 just got me through and only lost $70 and back in August last year nearly sold my 1080ti thinking the 1180ti (lol) would be a massive upgrade but something stopped me (thank truck) and Im staying put on this build till at least the next round, even my 7700k is doing fine, 4c8t rocks in 2019 :p even though people would have you believe it isn't enough to have only 4c 8t.

Last edited:
I went from 1070 Gaming OC to 2080 Gaming OC ....far from disappointed :O_o:

Top End CPU and GPU performance get closer all the time
Now people say more and more better value with 9700K or 3700X
If we all cared about value we would all have $300 wheels :roflmao:
Even reviewers say people get 9900K or 3900X are touched or something
They say get cheaper CPU and move up a GPU ......well dur we been doing that for decades lol

Not about money at least for me
Well, if you don't mind paying 200 pounds extra for a minimal increase in performance you should've gotten a 2080ti for a measurable performance boost. I mean you wont be disappointed with a 2080 that's for sure. Powerful card and all that but, you can get the exact same performance with a 1080ti and now 2070 super for way less. You are literally paying extra for no tangible gains. Why would you do that?

"Crysis effect"
That's a phrase I've coined to describe 'how much is enough' to play any one particular game.
What performance increase do you gain in say...going from a 2080 to a 2080 super...and what is the cost difference?
If those benchmarks are to be believed, then this series of cards offer very little over their respective base namesake...but at elevated cost overall.
The only one worthy of a second look, is the RTX2060 Super...and only if you are coming from the GTX 9xx or a GTX 1070 or below.
The fact that so few games are RTX enabled, is even a further detractor in the cost versus performance argument.

Last edited:
"Crysis effect"
That's a phrase I've coined to describe 'how much is enough' to play any one particular game.
What performance increase do you gain in say...going from a 2080 to a 2080 super...and what is the cost difference?
If those benchmarks are to be believed, then this series of cards offer very little over their respective base namesake...but at elevated cost overall.
The only one worthy of a second look, is the RTX2060 Super...and only if you are coming from the GTX 9xx or a GTX 1070 or below.
The fact that so few games are RTX enabled, is even a further detractor in the cost versus performance argument.
The 2070 super is also worth it. Holding off on purchase since i want to see how AMD cards evolve.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%