nVidia or AMD ? i need a upgrade soon

Overclocking GFX cards traditionally isn't as beneficial as overclocking your CPU is, you just can't get as much out of them. They're built to be at the limit. :)

never done crossfire / SLI before, i think im to scared to do as as i wouldn't have a clue where to begin let alone what to do.

never done overclocking on GFX Cards either :(
what psu do you have? and xfx are rubbish when it comes to warranty from what I've heard. gigabyte, evga are considered the best when it comes to customer service and carry 3 yr warranty.

what psu do you have? and xfx are rubbish when it comes to warranty from what I've heard. gigabyte, evga are considered the best when it comes to customer service and carry 3 yr warranty.
warranty does not bother me and so xfx for me is good actually :p they perform very well :)

i know EVGA are great tho.

Nice card Scott!

Not sure about XFire but have SLI'd 2x GTX460's before and now run 2x GTX670 FTW's in SLI and one thing I did notice is that my games are running very, very smooth now.

SLI pretty straight forward to setup and pretty sure XFire could not be that much different. But you should be able to run 3 screens on that 7970?

He should be able to run 3 screens with just a couple of things turned down if needed. I run 3 screens with an HD 6950 and that card is more powerful than mine.
yea definitely, shadows don't bother me and i know reducing them will keep the fps smooth :)

Once i have the card i'll put it through it's paces and give feedback here, so anyone who is thinking the same as me will know what to expect :)

so my 7970 arrived today, i have it plugged in, it;s about half a inch longer then the 7870 (which is great) .... the card is more silent then the 7870 :)

Testing very soon as i'll be trying out Crysis 3 which i got free :)

So how much of a performance boost do you get when you switch from a HD7870 (I'm using it as well) to a HD7970?

So how much of a performance boost do you get when you switch from a HD7870 (I'm using it as well) to a HD7970?
im getting 5-10FPS more, as for 3 screen testing i cannot say as i don't jhave my steering wheel yet to test on all my games.

i know the 7870 struggled with 3 screens on rFactor 2 with maxed settings, that's the one game i want to test :)

i also tested Crysis 3, with the 7870 maxed settings it would lag quite bad, with the 7970 i hardly lag (small FPS drop in dense places)

Jim Cole is this related to Driver issues (see the video below)

Probably. I had a similar glitch (but on almost WHOLE screen) on my notebook (with a Radeon HD5730) a while ago. Updating the Catalysts fixed everything.

If you ask me, you have nothing to complain about, at least not yet.
That's how Shift 2 looked on my notebook a year ago:
screenshot15602.png

THAT is bad. :p

im getting 5-10FPS more, as for 3 screen testing i cannot say as i don't jhave my steering wheel yet to test on all my games.

i know the 7870 struggled with 3 screens on rFactor 2 with maxed settings, that's the one game i want to test :)

i also tested Crysis 3, with the 7870 maxed settings it would lag quite bad, with the 7970 i hardly lag (small FPS drop in dense places)

Jim Cole is this related to Driver issues (see the video below)

It is possible that it is related to drivers, but it might also be settings. Improper LOD settings can cause issues like that as well as texture issues for the objects. Do you get that all the time, or was it just at that point? Does it occur regardless of terrain? Do you see that at different air fields? Pausing at just the right time looks like a reflection of the buildings beyond the runway/taxiway so might have something to do with texture reflections.

Hiya Jim Cole happens almost anywhere, any game, well apart from Crysis 3.... i have turned on VSync because i heard that stops the tears, since then i have not seen it at all (3 hours of playing now)

it's really confusing, but i hope V Sync has sorted it, if not i truly am lost.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back