Nvidia GPU and FreeSync with Triple Screens

I'm hoping for help with this as I have been tearing my hair out....

I've recently upgraded my GPU from a GTX 970 to a RTX 2080 Super. For unknown reasons I'm getting bad stuttering in all games; I've had to resort back to the 970. I've tried just about everything I can think of and searched countless forums.. Such as capping the frame rate in-game and using RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server), and trying out all the V-Sync options. I use DDU each time I've uninstalled drivers. I've tried changing various components - I thought initially that maybe my PSU was under strain, being 620W. Trying out a borrowed 700W made no difference. Upgrading RAM from 8GB to 16GB made no difference...
My CPU is old (i7 4790), however its utilization is always low, and the FPS I'm getting is more than acceptable for me; way over 60 FPS in most games and over 150 for AMS. I would consider upgrading my CPU if I was certain this was the issue, I'm not convinced though.

While the 970 is performing much better than the 2080 as far as stuttering goes, there is still a small amount of stuttering that I guess has always been there; it's just much more noticeable to me now. This is very most likely due to my 60Hz screens with 5ms response time (three Dell P2717H 27 inch screens).

So I have two paths:
1. Find out and hopefully fix whatever it is that's causing the stuttering with the 2080.
2. Replace my screens with 144Hz screens. Regardless of the excess stuttering that the 2080 presents, I think even with the 970 the small stutters are bothering me enough to justify new screens. This obviously will involve some open wallet surgery though...

So if I replace the screens, I have my eye on the AOC 27G2 27 inch. https://us.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/27-g2
It's unlikely I can afford all three now. I'd like to know:

Firstly, will these screens (or any good quality FreeSync screen) work in a triple setup in FreeSync mode with a 2080 Super? I use Nvidia Surround & MultiView for most games (AMS, AC, RF2), and other games as three separate screens (PC2 I think, I have only the demo and it works like this).

Secondly, what if I use just one FreeSync display as my center display and leave the left and right ones as they are. Will FreeSync work on the center screen? I've seen lots of talk about mixing screens of different refresh rates. I've read Nvidia drivers now support FreeSync screens, and that Win 10 2004 addresses some of the issues encountered with mixing screens of different refresh rates.

The card has 3 Display Ports. Any help or tips will be appreciated!

Last edited:
I have 3 75hz freesync screens with a 2080. Works perfect but I have a 3700x which may or may not help with frame rates compared to your CPU.

The 3 screens are same model black hawk iiyama screens. I have then limited in Nvidia control panel to 72hz with gysync compatable mode on and vsync on.

No limits set in any sim or vsync in any SIM.

I can confirm that I get 72hz locked with freesync in AC and RF2.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies guys.
Can anyone confirm the outcome with having one high refresh rate (or FreeSync) screen in the center, and two regular 60hz displays on the sides? In Surround mode as one single screen, and as 3 separate screens?

Upvote 0
3 x AOC g2790px 144hz here.
nVidia Surround and, due to streaming sometimes, I have certain titles limited to 60fps so the stream is decent. Plus I'm on a 3800x and 2070s so dont have too much headroom running triples whilst streaming and or recording at the same time.
If I'm not streaming or recording I can run a lot of titles uncapped but you have to limit the fps to the max supported by your monitor(s) or you will come out of g-sync compatible mode. Or that's what I read somewhere anyway.
I used to have stutters on rFactor 2 running at over 200 fps until I capped it to 143, then the stutters were gone. Recording also works better if its limited to the same fps that you record at, but I've read that multiples of 60 should work too, like 120, but I've yet to test this.
Source is YouTube for a lot of my 'discoveries' so I'm by no means an SME for this stuff

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back