nVidia drivers issue

I have big problem with my nVidia drivers and Race game. Sometimes, when I am in game, the game just crashs (while racing) and after this, If I try to start it again, it is crashing all the time and I need restart my PC to get it works normally... Windows says me that the drivers stopped work and were restored... The worst is that it is unpredictable.. I have the newest drivers... Does anybody know what can cause this?
Thank you

The Race series really does seem to be the most affected game for the Nvidia GFX users. I was using a 8800GTX quite happily until the first patch for EVO came out last year, from then it was a nightmare, not mater what driver I used or which settings I set, I would get random freezes and crashes. It was and still is perfect in anyother other game apart from the RACE series. It got so bad that I reluctently gav up the 8800GTX and bought a ATI 4890, which has been perfect up until the most recent patch..Now I can't ALT - TAB out of the game without it crashing.....I dread every patch from Simbin..as it ALWAYS without fail manages to screw the game up in one way or the other.....

Steven, the problem is with the latest version of XD, it conflicts with Steam Community option. If you disable the Steam Community you can Alt + Tab without problem.

Details in this thread.
http://www.racedepartment.com/race-07-gtr-evolution-stcc-race-on/30161-steam-update-problem.html

That done the job for me. Cheers Warren

Steve do as I do, set it to run full screen in windowed mode then no Alt+Tabbing just minimise the window. Been doing this for a while now and no crashes.

Yep works just as well. Cheers Bob

I've had freezes before but not for a long time, and now they're gone long ago. I didn't change my card, I'm using an nVidia N9600GT (MSI), and the newest drivers. (196.21)

The "Freeze" problem (with or without graphical corruption, with or without total driver failure), from my experience, is not related with lack of resources from the graphic card... As more FPS are pulled, more likely the freeze becomes. At least that has been my experience so far...

For instances, my card-OS-system combo runs Race ON with max detail (including draw distance) at an FPS well above my TFT-LCD capacity... If I lower the graphics demand, theoretical FPS goes well above 100 fps and the "freezes" become more common.

A 9600GT card is (was) a low end games card (yours with an always nice passive cooler) from the previews NVIDIA card range (9600 to 9800), so maybe your FPS are already low in first place, and in accordance to my experience that would lower the likelihood of a "freeze".

Notice that you type that in the past you had "freezes", but you also type next that you don't have one for some time. I don't remember very well now when exactly, but SimBin increased the scenery draw distance in the Evolution pre-Race On preparation patch (consequently lowering fps to anyone that didn't notice the change and didn't went back to change it to the old settings).

My game seems to stutter now (GTX260) since i have updated my drivers to the latest version. Will post a thread in the hardware section later to ask how to revert to the previous set as i have no clue how to do that.

The GTX 260 card Bram types about in the next post is the low end version of the following NVIDIA game card range (I would call it the newest card range, but as always there is already a new card range in the pipes). The "stutter" problem he types about, is not the "freeze" problem; in fact "stutter" could theoretically be solved by finding out what graphic effect/setting is causing it and lowering it (one way). The "stutter" is "only" the card going to the "limit"... now why it goes?!... excess load, incompetent drivers-OS mix?, hardware handling of the CPU-GPU necessities (Motherboard)... who knows...

As always with these things, "one's" solution many times isn't the "other's" solution... good luck mixing and than isolating those variables :wink:

if your screen maybe can draw 60 fps a second and your card draws 180 frams its highly possible you get a freez
try Vsync should limit the drawed frames to amount your screen can handel anyway thats not the complete deal
as there is for sure something wrong in Nvidias drivers i run atm a 95.xx series driver and score under RF betwine
100 and 120 FPS with my gt 8600 in race i have 70-80 frames why my tft can handel up to 60 fps with a newer
driver i had up to 170 - 180 FPS in RF and 120-125 fps in race wich gave a big bad stutter of the scenerie while
turning but only in Race and the known freezes its pretty much a mix of both try Vsync maybe it will fix it for you
maybe not then you need to find the right driver ty out that one that came on cd/DVD with your card

i am able to do FPS over 230 with max details... and i played without freezes for 3 days and after that ka-boom! I don't think so that FPS is the problem, 'cause it is only this game and if my LCD cannot draws fps over then 60 (for example) and my card draws 150-300 (in other games) it would do the same doesn't it?

no not nessesary it has something to do how the driver handels the Gmoto2 engien and there Nvidia messed up
and dont dare to fix it as this fix would ment to make crysis not run anymore... solution is get a pre crysis driver
or change to ATI that simple thinks can be

Guys I am out of freezes for a week (tak tak tak) and I hope I will still ! That FPS helped me a lot and I think that was the problem! I turned on V-SYNC and get everything max and high (yes in PIT or start line I have fps very low :p) and no freezes!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back