Nvidia - Do they know there's a recession on?

Just having a look around when I noticed this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-203-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1324

It's Asus's latest graphics card Asus GeForce GTX 295 Mars Edition 4096MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card

gtx-295-mars.jpg

Now I've spent quite a few quid on hardware in the past but this is just ridiculous. The price?

A cool £1029.99 inc VAT !!!!

You'd think GFX card manufactures would be trying to reduce the cost of their cards to encourage buying in these financially challenging times.

I know there's always a few enthusiasts out there willing to pay this sort of money, but, frankly I think it's obscene!!

It's Asus, Nvidia have not burned money on this. Been out for a little while now though. It's only for the people who have so much money to burn it's not an issue, I can only dream of having a card of that performance :p

truly ridiculous price :)

reminds me when i bought a radeon x1950xtx years ago... it was the best card you could buy at that time, cost me like 500€... now i've got it on a shelf as a decoration :p

Id expect it to do all house chures, drive all my sims on its own and get me pole and the best lap possible on each track for that money.

And discover all fergo hat pics available on the tinterweb.com

Fergo's hat is on the interwebz somewhere, I will find it!

In the meantime, we must destroy Men without Hats. They stand in the way of Fergo's Hat and world domination.
59655.gif

I'm used to such prizes 4 graphic cards in developers offices for CAT software etc.
but for a gamer's videocard??? ... Come on!

What bugs me most, is the fact that this only encourages game programmers to neglect creating an efficient algorithm so games also run in maximum settings on non-high-end machines!!!

This goal seems to have been lost somewhere over the last couple of years!

• vmagics

It's worth it because it looks just lovely, look at the right side - it looks just like a VHS video. Now if if that's not worth a squillion £££'s, I don't know what is. I think I'll buy a stack of 'em to put in a display case next to the telly.

Maybe ATI will make a betamax version?

Think of it like quadro cards really but for 3D.

Some are worth £8000, for proper cad workers in the professional buiesness industry, they really need real 2d performance where reliability is the most important thing.

Yes, but selling that on the gaming market is like giving a machete to a surgeon. Just too much power, I wouldn't be selling as well, but perhaps they are getting a huge profit from the ones they do sell.

True about the CAD type graphics cards. But they are for business, you wouldn't have someone using his own pocket money to buy one.

5870 trades blows with the GTX295 with the GTX295 coming out on top overall, but 295 is dual card and a older generation , best co compare the GTX295 vs 4870x2. 5870 is the fastest single GPU out there. I think a 5850 will be very good value though. Personally I'll wait till the GT300 are out before thinking of upgrading as prices will come down on everything.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 316 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.2%