NVIDIA 1070ti: Which VR headset should I get?

Hi,
I have a 1070ti in my PC. I play mostly AC, Richard Burns and Flight Simulator 2020.
Which VR headset should I get, if any?
I'm considering both Quest 2 (with Oculus Link) and Reverb G2, which right now have a very decent price on Amazon (even lower than Quest2+Oculus Link).
Do you think my GPU will be enough to handle any of these VR goggles? I assume the G2 are better in terms of image quality, resolution, etc. but I guess they will be more demanding for the GPU, and I may need to end up lowering the settings so much that image quality will become worse than with the Quest 2.
On the other hand, AFAIK the Quest 2 need to compress the video and send it through the Link as data and then uncompress that again to convert that into video once again. Not sure if after all this may hamper the performance even more than the G2 with their higher resolution.

What would you recommend? Which do you think will provide the best compromise between performance and image quality? Or maybe I should just skip VR until upgrading my GPU?

Thanks

NeckFX requires Content Manager and Custom Shaders Patch, and these additions to AC will also help improve your PC's performance, especially in VR. Get those if you haven't already.
Have not received the headset yet, but I'm starting to learn how to set it up once it arrives, and how to best configure AC. I've already learnt what Content Manager is (yes, I should've been using it for ages, but never bothered to check out any proper mod for AC, as I was OK with the vanilla game).

I assume Custom Shaders Patch is a mod to improve visuals. Won't this have a negative effect on my performance in VR?

BTW, where can I get those VR-specific NeckFX settings you were talking about?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1066209

Have not received the headset yet, but I'm starting to learn how to set it up once it arrives, and how to best configure AC. I've already learnt what Content Manager is (yes, I should've been using it for ages, but never bothered to check out any proper mod for AC, as I was OK with the vanilla game).

I assume Custom Shaders Patch is a mod to improve visuals. Won't this have a negative effect on my performance in VR?

BTW, where can I get those VR-specific NeckFX settings you were talking about?

Thanks!
Haha, I had the same mindset for the longest time: I was very content with the original AC launcher, especially since I was concerned that CM would consume additional resources from my PC - which, if it turns out to be the case, is not even perceptible.

Custom Shaders Patch does improve visuals, but it also has some tweaks for CPU and GPU optimizations, which I believe boosts your PC to perform much better than the vanilla game. I admit that I have not benchmarked any of these settings to quantify their individual impacts on system performance, but I haven't felt any perceptible drawbacks from enabling them.

Here is a link to the VR-specific NeckFX settings: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/neck-fx-settings-for-vr.170471/#post-3011211

Much like the settings for CPU & GPU optimizations, I also have not fiddled with any of the NeckFX settings to determine their individual function (I have issues clearly deciphering their descriptions), since the posted settings worked so well for me that I did not think it was worth the effort to even attempt optimizing. Who knows; I may actually be missing out on improved visual effects, but I'm content as it is and would rather spend my time driving around in circles - trying to shave milliseconds off my time - than to be constantly reloading the game in an attempt to determine the function of each setting. You may feel otherwise, of course.

Speaking of which, everybody's physiology is different, which is why RasmusP and I may have differing views on "Lock to Horizon". I encourage you to experiment to figure out which settings suit you best. Furthermore, you may actually find that the NeckFX settings are unsuitable for you, regardless of any setting tweaks, and that Real Head Motion is the only solution that works. I've heard many good things about RHM from both flatscreen and VR users, so you should also consider that too.

Upvote 0
Speaking of which, everybody's physiology is different, which is why RasmusP and I may have differing views on "Lock to Horizon".
I think the main differences come from the fact that VR is "3D", but it doesn't have DOF.
Meaning in reality, closing one eye will still give you an image that contains "layers of depth, depending on where you focus". That's not the case with VR, everything is exactly the same distance.

So your brain gets "tricked" by 2 images with a slightly offset perspective into making it look 3D.
And depending on the interpretation of your eyes+brain, some different side-effects will happen to you.

For me, the shaky image was "stressful" to me, but lock to horizon basically cut loose my eyes from my brain, which instantly made me super motion sick. For others it only calms down the image perfectly smooth and is awesome. Your eyes+brain stay connected when using it. Not like mine :whistling:

"CSP" is simply A LOT. It can improve things, it can make things a lot worse, it all depends on the settings.
The defaults are a mix. CPU related fps stay about the same, GPU load increases.
For most systems, AC is CPU limited, meaning that CSP improves the visual quality while getting rid of CPU related micro stutter.

With CSP, you get a list of "extensions". Neck FX is one of them. Another one would be "Lighting FX", which gives you "Fake night with illuminated lightposts" for example.
"Weather FX" will give you dynamic weather, "Rain FX" will give you actual rain drops in cockpit view.

You can disable these extensions by one click. Very easy.
Depending on the CSP version, you get different settings within these extensions or completely new extensions. Some versions are not compatible with some mod cars or tracks.
SOL merges with weather fx and lighting fx.

Sounds pretty complicated but once you figured things out it's very easy!

White letters = default, red letters = you changed settings!

If you want "Vanilla AC with improved CPU performance", you can simply disable ALL extensions apart from the "General" one.
And then just keep things at default. all really useful settings will be active. For me, it boosts the CPU limited fps when doing a 30 car AI race start from about 60 fps to 90 fps!

The only graphic cards setting I'm using is "Temporal Anti Aliasing (TAA)". It makes things a tiny bit blurry but thanks to sharpening, it doesn't matter for me. However it makes all edges VERY smooth!
The standard Anti Aliasing only applies for "solid materials", like Car edges or wall edges. But NOT to shadows/fences/grass/cables etc.
TAA does :)

I'm personally still on the "recommended" version 0.1.60.
The "bare minimum" for "only optimizations and TAA" would look like this:
- Extra FX contains TAA (I deselected everything else in there!)
- FFB tweaks gives some new dynamic damping that's better than the default "gyro". Very nice imo!
- Windscreen FX costs no fps and blurs shadows on the windscreen with speed. I like it.

BareMinimumCSP.jpg

TAA:
AC_CSP_TAA.JPG

Don't be scared by the different look of a lot of tracks!

As you can see there are car and track configs/textures/vao.
These in theory "make things look a lot better". But you may be overwhelmed by it, because mostly, it's "different".
When you first load CSP from within Content Manager, it will download and apply ALL of this stuff. To get rid of them, you need to first disable automatic downloads, then "view in explorer", then select everything in that folder and delete the files.
Things will look like before then :)

However, if you don't like the different look, simply delete textures/config. The "VAO" are fixed, "baked in" shadows that make things look more real. I wouldn't delete those! It costs basically 0 fps

1637933512793.png

Upvote 0
Right now, the only word that comes to mind is... WOW!!!

Just received my G2 headset today and this thing is so fu**ing awesome!! And it works really well with my PC. Of course, I still have to fiddle with the myriad of settings provided by CM, but just by downgrading all graphs setting to Medium, I'm able to race at the G2's full resolution at 80-90fps, at least on the Nordschleife when driving alone. I also ran the CM's benchmark, which simulates a race in Spa, and here I obtained about 70-80 fps, which didn't look that bad at all. When racing against other cars I could just lower the video settings to "low" or decrease the resolution to 70%. Maybe with some proper optimization I could even leave it as it is. What is the minimum FPS you would consider acceptable?

And all this with CSP disabled, jo basically vanilla game launched from CM. I first tried CSP this morning, still without VR, and it looked super weird. Everything on the Nordschleife looked super bright and whitish, as though the trees were covered in snow, and the sun was completely blinding, every time I had to drive against it, I could see nothing at all. Besides, GPU usage increased by 10-20%, so decided to disable everything for the time being. I will definitely try all the settings so thoroughly explained by Rasmus on the message above and see if they really improve things.

As of now, I'm still quite lost between Windows Mixed Reality app, Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, and SteamVR. I still don't know which of them needs to be running in order to launch AC in VR, and from where I should launch it.

However, I've been able to try several VR apps such as Google Earth or some very simple shooting game and the experience is unbelievable.

Thank you guys for all your help. I still need to configure so many things in order to obtain the perfect experience, but just out of the box this headset (and how my PC performs with it) is perfectly valid. No need to ship it back at all.

For instance, I normally use Geforce Experience's HUD in order to monitor FPS. However, in VR the FPS counter is simply not displayed. I can see it on my monitor, but once I wear my goggles I cannot see it anymore. Quite complicated to check the FPS while driving this way. I need to ask my girlfriend to constantly read outloud the FPS indication from the monitor while I'm driving. What FPS counter should I use in VR?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1066209

Awesome! I'm surprised that you've received it so quickly.
What is the minimum FPS you would consider acceptable?
I prefer 90fps, and am comfortable with brief drops to 85; any further and I can notice a difference.

Everything on the Nordschleife looked super bright and whitish, as though the trees were covered in snow, and the sun was completely blinding, every time I had to drive against it, I could see nothing at all.

The white trees are intentional. There is a seasonal adjustment setting for CSP that matches the date on your computer. The blinding sun is due to the "sunrays" option in post-processing. I don't like the blinding sun, so I've disabled that.

As of now, I'm still quite lost between Windows Mixed Reality app, Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, and SteamVR. I still don't know which of them needs to be running in order to launch AC in VR, and from where I should launch it.

The only programs I need to launch AC in VR are: Windows Mixed Reality and SteamVR. I'm actually unsure about the function of the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, but I never use it.

Windows Mixed Reality starts up automatically when it detects a connected headset, which usually happens immediately after booting if your headset is always connected. SteamVR only works if WMR starts up properly, and can also be started automatically upon booting, if Steam logs you in after booting. By the way, I think you can free up some of your PC's resources by disabling SteamVR Home. It doesn't serve any function for Assetto Corsa.

For instance, I normally use Geforce Experience's HUD in order to monitor FPS. However, in VR the FPS counter is simply not displayed. I can see it on my monitor, but once I wear my goggles I cannot see it anymore. Quite complicated to check the FPS while driving this way. I need to ask my girlfriend to constantly read outloud the FPS indication from the monitor while I'm driving. What FPS counter should I use in VR?

My favorite FPS counter is built into Custom Shaders Patch. I actually cannot remember what it is named right now, but it's something like "CSP Render Stats". It's an app that you can open while driving in Assetto Corsa, like "Race Essentials" or "Pedals" (etc., etc...), and I know that it is found in CSP versions 1.74 and 1.75. It might be found in previous versions too, but I haven't used those, so I cannot tell you concretely.

If you can, use CSP 1.75. AMD FSR is implemented in this version and provides a fantastic boost to FPS with minimal loss in image quality. Your GPU is supported and will be able to run the Reverb G2 much better with this option enabled.

Last, but not least, if you haven't already: Go to your Nvidia Control Panel > "Manage 3D Settings", and change the "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance". This simple setting has provided the largest boost in FPS for AC in VR.

How are you getting along with VR? Have you experienced any motion sickness yet?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have a 1070ti in my PC. I play mostly AC, Richard Burns and Flight Simulator 2020.
Which VR headset should I get, if any?
I'm considering both Quest 2 (with Oculus Link) and Reverb G2, which right now have a very decent price on Amazon (even lower than Quest2+Oculus Link).
Do you think my GPU will be enough to handle any of these VR goggles? I assume the G2 are better in terms of image quality, resolution, etc. but I guess they will be more demanding for the GPU, and I may need to end up lowering the settings so much that image quality will become worse than with the Quest 2.
On the other hand, AFAIK the Quest 2 need to compress the video and send it through the Link as data and then uncompress that again to convert that into video once again. Not sure if after all this may hamper the performance even more than the G2 with their higher resolution.

What would you recommend? Which do you think will provide the best compromise between performance and image quality? Or maybe I should just skip VR until upgrading my GPU?

Thanks
Reverb G2 ofcourse.

Upvote 0
Hi!
I've been running some tests and benchmarks in an attempt to optimize visuals and performance. With CSP setup exactly as Rasmus suggested (General Patch active with default settings, Extra FX with TAA and FFB tweaks and Cars and Tracks Configs and Textures disabled, leaving only VAO) I managed to boost my FPS on CM's benchmark (Race against multiple cars in Spa) from 75fps to 90fps (Average 88, minimum 85), which is an outstanding result, given the circumstances (full resolution and medium graphic settings). However, for some reason when fully loading the game in order to make some laps on the Nordschleife, I only get 80-85fps, very similar results than the ones obtained without CSP's optimization. What's more, if after launching the game I exit it and then run the same Benchmark from CM (the race in Spa), I get quite worse results (75-80fps instead of 90). The weird thing is than when this happens, I can see my GPU usage is at some moments only at around 75-90% instead of constantly at 95% as when I get the best results.
Why on Earth would my GPU sometimes not work at full capacity? I have the Nvidia Control Panel power management settings at maximum performance. Any ideas?
I'm very close to obtaining the best possible results in terms of performance (90fps), I feel like I'm just missing something that could fix those fps drops without the need to lower the video settings or the resolution. If sometimes I can run the benchmark at 90fps, I cannot understand why at some other moments it will stay at 75-80fps instead, and GPU not working at full capacity.

How are you getting along with VR? Have you experienced any motion sickness yet?
So far so good. The first day I felt a bit dizzy after racing for a while (not during the session), but I don't thinks it's an issue. I've tried both View Lock to Horizon active and not active, and couldn't figure out the difference between them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right now, the only word that comes to mind is... WOW!!!

Just received my G2 headset today and this thing is so fu**ing awesome!! And it works really well with my PC. Of course, I still have to fiddle with the myriad of settings provided by CM, but just by downgrading all graphs setting to Medium, I'm able to race at the G2's full resolution at 80-90fps, at least on the Nordschleife when driving alone. I also ran the CM's benchmark, which simulates a race in Spa, and here I obtained about 70-80 fps, which didn't look that bad at all. When racing against other cars I could just lower the video settings to "low" or decrease the resolution to 70%. Maybe with some proper optimization I could even leave it as it is. What is the minimum FPS you would consider acceptable?

And all this with CSP disabled, jo basically vanilla game launched from CM. I first tried CSP this morning, still without VR, and it looked super weird. Everything on the Nordschleife looked super bright and whitish, as though the trees were covered in snow, and the sun was completely blinding, every time I had to drive against it, I could see nothing at all. Besides, GPU usage increased by 10-20%, so decided to disable everything for the time being. I will definitely try all the settings so thoroughly explained by Rasmus on the message above and see if they really improve things.

However, I've been able to try several VR apps such as Google Earth or some very simple shooting game and the experience is unbelievable.

Thank you guys for all your help. I still need to configure so many things in order to obtain the perfect experience, but just out of the box this headset (and how my PC performs with it) is perfectly valid. No need to ship it back at all.

Go get fpsVR.
It works great for viewing game FPS under the hood in VR.
Really glad you are enjoying the experience.
There is nothing like glancing over to clear a challenging car in VR.
No monitor...curved, triple-scree or otherwise, can give you that sensation.

Upvote 0
Why on Earth would my GPU sometimes not work at full capacity?
Your cpu is bottlenecking. I don't know why it should change when doing the cm benchmark after having lower fps at the Nordschleife, but it's quite simple:
If your gpu isn't maxed out, the limit is either some fps limit like vsync or a limiter or your cpu.

The question is why your cpu performance is fluctuating...
Heat, virus scan, chrome in the background?

Upvote 0
Your cpu is bottlenecking. I don't know why it should change when doing the cm benchmark after having lower fps at the Nordschleife, but it's quite simple:
If your gpu isn't maxed out, the limit is either some fps limit like vsync or a limiter or your cpu.

The question is why your cpu performance is fluctuating...
Heat, virus scan, chrome in the background?
That's what I thought. However, the CPU performance is all the time at around 20% when using VR, so If this reading is accurate, it shouldn't be bottlenecking, should it? I cannot understand why it would stay that low. It's an i7-8700. So it's not really than powerful...
You can see here a small FPS drop to 83, paired with a GPU utilization drop down to 86%, and, at the same time, CPU at 12%. If the GPU stayed at the maximum % I've seen (95%, never higher than that) FPS would have remained at 90FPS without problem.
1638179880864.jpg

It's true though I had Chrome running in the background most of the times! I'll try again making sure everything else is closed. Aside from Chrome, while racing I also have Windows Mixed Reality open, Steam VR and then I launch CM from my descktop icon. Is there any other way to launch the game without so many apps running in the background? And then, while driving, the footage is also displayed on my descktop's monitor, together with the VR headset. Is this OK? Not sure if this duplicated image could also be eating up some of my resources.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's what I thought. However, the CPU performance is all the time at around 20% when using VR, so If this reading is accurate, it shouldn't be bottlenecking, should it? I cannot understand why it would stay that low. It's an i7-8700. So it's not really than powerful...
You can see here a small FPS drop to 83, paired with a GPU utilization drop down to 86%, and, at the same time, CPU at 12%. If the GPU stayed at the maximum % I've seen (95%, never higher than that) FPS would have remained at 90FPS without problem.
View attachment 521097

It's true though I had Chrome running in the background most of the times! I'll try again making sure everything else is closed. Aside from Chrome, while racing I also have Windows Mixed Reality open, Steam VR and then I launch CM from my descktop icon. Is there any other way to launch the game without so many apps running in the background? And then, while driving, the footage is also displayed on my descktop's monitor, together with the VR headset. Is this OK? Not sure if this duplicated image could also be eating up some of my resources.

Thanks!
The cpu load sadly doesn't show anything apart from when it gets close to 100% overall load on all cores.
The issue here is that if you have a single application thread, it can't be split to multiple cores in parallel.
A cpu core can only work or not work. And only on one thread at a time.
So the "load" is actually the average of "idle" and "full load".
At 4 GHz, that's 4 billion cpu cycles per second.
Taskmanager refreshes with 1 second ticks.
So you see quite a lot of cpu cycles averaged!

Now Windows does something like making one core work on one thread, while the next core will read from the cache and when the first core has finished, the next core starts working.
It's more efficient!

So if you have one single thread, your maximum overall cpu load can be one core at 100%.
With 8 cores, this means 12.5%.

Now Taskmanager might show one core at full load or it might show all 8 cores on low load.
The overall cpu load can't go beyond 12.5% though.
However due to this "efficiency shuffling", you might see up to 20% overall load.

With 2 threads, you can see 25% overall load in theory, but you'll probably see 35%.

Assetto corsa has one thread maxed out, a second thread not really maxing out, a third thread with about half the load of the first and then a few smaller threads.
You can download process explorer, right click on AC, go into properties and select the "threads" tab.
There you'll see the cpu load of all application threads.

Summary: cpu load sadly doesn't indicate anything if it's not all cores fully loaded.

Solution:
Either look only at the gpu load. If it's not 100%, something else is limiting.

Or you can look into cpu and gpu frame times separately.
I think fpsVR can show these.
There you'll see if and how the cpu is limiting.

However, dropping fps together with lower load on cpu and gpu is a bit weird..
Maybe you get a bit higher cpu load first and then the headset drops into reprojection? (half fps), which drops the loads?

Upvote 0
Damn, this is so weird! As I freshly open up Content Manager, I can run consecutive benchmarks and the results obtained will be oustanding, as you can see on the following picture. GPU utilization will constantly be at around 90-95%
benchmark001.JPG

However, If after that I launch the game, initially my FPS will be consistently at 89-90 but, for some reason, as I start to drive, they will drop to 80-85, and GPU utilization will also have some drops to 70-80%. If, at that point, I close the game and go straight back to CM and run the benchmark again, now the results obtained will be the following, with GPU every now and then dropping down to 80%:
benchmark002.JPG

If I shut CM down and open it up again and run the benchmark, I will once again obtain the first results (89 FPS average, 90-95% GPU load). If then I launch the game, same thing will happen again.

What's even more weird: If I open the game and start driving but i leave my headset on the desk instead of wearing it on my head, FPS will remain at 89-90 and GPU at 90-95% and, if I close the game and run a benchmark, I will still obtain the outsanting results.
It looks like what messes things up is sitting in my rig with the headset on my head and starting to drive for a few seconds.

Thanks a lot for your help!

EDIT: I'm starting to figure things out. I think what messes thigs up is the WMR's protection area. My rig is just outside this area. I've disabled the option to display the borders of such area, and now I'm getting much consistent results. Still don't know why GPU performance would drop if playing outside the protected area, and will not recover even if I get back inside. Will keep you updated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just upgraded my GPU and finally able to enjoy vr Sims.
Old card was a rx4808gb and borderline. (Paired with a r7 3700x )

Sim experience was ok for playing about but for serious racing it wasn't an enjoyable experience. Couldn't keep my frames high and consistent enough and imotiom sickness became an issue.

This time around with a 3060ti I'm not suffering sickness at all and able to get solid stable frames at my refresh rate and keep the graphics high enough to enjoy the view

My old card faired well on HL alyx and other vr titles but racing. Meh.

First post in some time. Got the bug again with a vengeance. Finding racing in vr so much easier to be consistent. Especially with close racing
Hello mate, i have exactly the same system as you (3700x + 3060ti) i can run all sims but acc is soo demanding,..

Upvote 0
Another issue that could happen is that the GPU and or CPU get hot and start throttling.

Not saying that's related to this issue, but if you have been driving for a while and performance drops heat can be an issue.

Also the render load changes when you add other cars in a race. So even if you have a stable fps doing hot laps that can all change with an AI field or other drivers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Damn, this is so weird! As I freshly open up Content Manager, I can run consecutive benchmarks and the results obtained will be oustanding, as you can see on the following picture. GPU utilization will constantly be at around 90-95%
View attachment 521107

However, If after that I launch the game, initially my FPS will be consistently at 89-90 but, for some reason, as I start to drive, they will drop to 80-85, and GPU utilization will also have some drops to 70-80%. If, at that point, I close the game and go straight back to CM and run the benchmark again, now the results obtained will be the following, with GPU every now and then dropping down to 80%:
View attachment 521108

If I shut CM down and open it up again and run the benchmark, I will once again obtain the first results (89 FPS average, 90-95% GPU load). If then I launch the game, same thing will happen again.

What's even more weird: If I open the game and start driving but i leave my headset on the desk instead of wearing it on my head, FPS will remain at 89-90 and GPU at 90-95% and, if I close the game and run a benchmark, I will still obtain the outsanting results.
It looks like what messes things up is sitting in my rig with the headset on my head and starting to drive for a few seconds.

EDIT: I'm starting to figure things out. I think what messes thigs up is the WMR's protection area. My rig is just outside this area. I've disabled the option to display the borders of such area, and now I'm getting much consistent results. Still don't know why GPU performance would drop if playing outside the protected area, and will not recover even if I get back inside. Will keep you updated.
Not really a clue, sorry.. It might be this weird bug described in here?

The "outside protection area" might cause some issues though. Hopefully it's just that so you can easily fix it!

Upvote 0
Well I think I can confirm the issue was caused by the protection area borderlines being displayed while driving (I could see them over my left shoulder). I just disabled the option "show borderlines" (no need to delete the protection area, just the display of the borderlines) and I managed an entire lap on the Nordschleife averaging 88 FPS with no significant FPS drops. I also ran a benchmark after that and got again 89FPS average.

I'll just have to remember to switch the borderlines back on whenever I play a shooter if I don't wanna break my neck.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
View attachment 521107

View attachment 521108

These kind of results with a gtx 1070 ti?? WOW! I wasn't sure how good a 1080 ti was going to run on AC with full resolution on a Reverb G2 and at what settings I will be able to get the best possible results and experience, but seeing those results on a weaker card just motivates me more to get it and get into the VR experience! Super helpful thread and thanks everybody for sharing your experience and tips!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing