Now All Custom Skins not working !

Yeah, this a widely reported problem. I wish S397 would re-work how the game handles custom skins. It shouldn't be so hard to install them and custom skins shouldn't break after routine updates.
I think they are as surprised as we are. I guess you could say there is nothing routine about this round of updates. Since they have to mix old shaders with the new shaders and keep compatibility while both are on the car, it has introduced a whole slew isssues that were not forseen. EVENTUALLY this will all work out, but probably not for a while yet.

I think they are as surprised as we are. I guess you could say there is nothing routine about this round of updates. Since they have to mix old shaders with the new shaders and keep compatibility while both are on the car, it has introduced a whole slew isssues that were not forseen. EVENTUALLY this will all work out, but probably not for a while yet.
I hope you're correct. The S397 cars and track (Sebring) are just phenomenal. Adding custom skins to them would be icing on my cake.

all three, due to all three getting virtually the same update treatment. I believe S397 thought they had solved the problem last week. They put out two small updates both pointed towards painting with the new materials.
(these were in addition to the material/shader updates they applied to all three car packages albeit each at a different time.) these three DLC packs, and tracks like Sebring(eventually) and Nordschleife will all get the shader treatment. Nords should be shipped already updated so there should be little issue there. Sebring will have to be converted just like the cars. And all three groups will get interior shaders as well.
The large looming question is just how many of the S397 released cars/tracks will get the shader updates.
I would assume the Tatuu open wheelers and the content pack from Riezza will ship already enhanced.
But you will notice my post is full of assumptions and guesses. Time will tell.

Hi there everybody,

I don't know if the issue has already been addressed, but I'll tell you my short story and a simple solution.

After the latest update by S397 and the issue with no ai custom skins loading, I resorted by loading every single one S397 car after track loading, in the standings menu. This finally gave me full custom virtual drivers and skins, but a new problem emerged with the game crashing after a few minutes of driving. Tried to lower full number of cars, lower down my graphics, driver update and fine tuning, nothing changed, S397's updated shaders (especially Oreca 07, I have almost all the RD IMSA skins installed) systematically brought me to ctd.

SOLUTION: simpler than I thought, rolled back to v1111 release via Steam overlay (right click over rFactor 2 -> properties -> beta -> select version on the scroll-down menu), everything seems to be working fine now, virtual drivers and skins loading correctly, full 42-45 cars grid, high-to-full graphics, 15 laps+60 minutes simulated with no issues, no slowing down, no ctd, no discernible graphic reduction with the loss of the update.
I searched for a while with a lot of time lost for this very simple solution, thought that was useful to report it here.

Not the moment for cooler new shaders S397, I'm fine with a stable release, but I still got faith in you!!

Cheers,

Will

I don't know if the issue has already been addressed, but I'll tell you my short story and a simple solution.
Yeah, you could also revert back to Windows 95 and SCGT, both are known to be pretty stable…:D

Sorry but no, this is not a solution! We were again more than 20 people online last night with the GT3s and our games seemed pretty stable! Fine if you want to do this of course, but don't advise this to people please.

The main main culprit for CTDs with the latest builds come from outdated third party contents… Check that you don't have any old stuff left over in your /bin64 folder. If you can't make it out, just delete the whole content of this folder (...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64) and run a steam games integrity files (that will re-download the content from this folder). And opt-out of any beta of course. :)

Sorry for the off-topic, this has not much to do with custom skins btw… Older skins probably just need to be updated to work, no? I don't try to run custom skins with ais, but I just had to update my old skins to use them again, not sure what is the problem for the OP?

Dave.....forgot to mention that it's always a good idea to delete the older skin folders that are being replaced. In this case it would be the McLaren 2.51 and Radical 2.51 folders since your replacing them with new skin folders 2.52 :thumbsup: It's best to manually delete the older skin folders where they reside!

Last edited:
The KI GT cars still do not use custom skins. They appear in the car list and in the showroom, and you can drive them, but the AI still does not use them when you go to the race. I can only hope that this will be rectified soon. But it goes week after week in the country and nothing happens ...... Very annoying ! ! ! :mad:

The KI GT cars still do not use custom skins. They appear in the car list and in the showroom, and you can drive them, but the AI still does not use them when you go to the race. I can only hope that this will be rectified soon. But it goes week after week in the country and nothing happens ...... Very annoying ! ! ! :mad:
I think it's absolutely ridiculous the way the new painting system has been implemented. All the bugs should have been sorted before release. I can't understand why people are continuing to produce skins with the new system when the AI still does not use the skins, total waste of time. The time this one bug is taking to sort out is beyond believe even if there trying to sort it. No statement from S397 what so ever. It's more than annoying.

Ace I was gonna ask you, do have the listing of the guy who painted some Michael Shank Racing Acura NSX skins on the Mclaren body? I tried to find him and can't seem to focus a forum search enough. Thought I'd ask for the 1st year skins (black/white, and White/black) of the NSX. Those, while not as artful as some of the ones painted, are more striking due to the contrast of the start colors and the track.
iu

iu

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 307 27.6%