Not strictly computech question

Kenny Paton

Staff
Premium
With the loss of tennis from Sky my wife has had to, reluctantly, turn to an Amazon Firestick for her fix.
Unfortunately she is getting really bad buffering as it's located at the furthest point from our router.
So will a hdmi extended cable or a WiFi extender be best to try and cure the problem and lessen my grief.
Because currently it seems to be my fault that Sky dropped the coverage:whistling:
I know it's not really a computer issue but with the font of knowledge on here I'm sure someone will be able to help me:).

Can't really help but some food for though:
Well if the buffering is because of wifi problems then either increasing the signal or getting the receiver close tk the source will help as you said.
I always like to shorten ways instead of boosting signals. Also wifi repeaters can be a pain from my experience...

If you can, grab a 10-15m hdmi cable, Amazon basics or csl should do. Get a 4k spec cable so the 1080p from the firestick will not make problems. With actual 4k I wouldn't go above 10m!

A little problem there: I'm not sure what kind of remote control the firestick remote sends so if it's infra-red like normal TV remotes, you can't put the firestick too far away...

Imo the best way would be to find a way to set up a wifi repeater via cable from the source router. No idea how expensive wifi repeaters are and what to buy though.. Sorry.

Hope this somehow gave you some useful input of thought. :)
Can't actually help for real.. :(

Save your money.
I too, sometimes get lots of buffering and I have good speed for everything else.
It could be the server you are getting your stream from.
I went as far as buying and connecting Amazon's very own adapter to allow wired connections...thinking that would help. It did not.

I'd go for a TP Link power line adapter. Simple to setup and will give both a wired solution and can be used to extend/repeat the wifi signal. About €50 I think and the one I got was the wpa 4220 it's a v600 unit I think.

The stick also lacks computing power. Wifi isn't its only problem. Do yourself a favor and get the square thing, with the Ethernet adapter. No more problems.

Thanks guys for the advice.
Ordered the 4k one as it's supposed to have better WiFi, and I can return it if it doesn't work. So can't do much more for now.

I can confirm that it works better even on wifi (if you don't use the Ethernet adapter). The stick is just underpowered. Good luck.

Well after all that it looks like Amazon's to blame.
According to reviews and comments tennis on Amazon seems to have some issues, live and everything else seems fine with the new stick, except for full day replays, and I'm not alone with the problem. I can only imagine they move older stuff onto another poorer server.
Here's another strange thing, all work perfectly on the ipad:confused:.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 483 39.0%