I know the rumor is FH5 is dropping this year, but this is still a must buy game. So much fun and so many cool cars packed inside. Just driving around and hooning earns you stunt points, that keeps me going long after I should stop. (unlike rf2 which punishes me for trying to do anything!)

I would say you should hunt around for the Ulitmate Edition that comes with the VIP Car Pass and the DLC Expansions, but this is a pretty good deal nonetheless.

forzathumb-1614092802594.jpg

As to be expected; it's a title that's mass marketed to all gamers, not the sim-focused crowd that we are around here. I just saw on a livestream on Steam of them customising their character? As in choosing fashionable winter attire for example, not racing wear...probably 100x or more people in that market. The guy was also driving an Impreza in a lake...so umm there's also that. Nothing wrong with games like that; as much as I love sims, I'm very much into Mario Kart 8 as well whenever I decide to play it.

My question, as someone who has never played a Forza title and the last Gran Turismo title I played was GT6 on a G27 wheel over 5 years ago: do different cars in the same class (for example GT4 class) actually feel and handle different in Forza or is it mostly cosmetic? Will a rear engine Porsche feel different in handling compared to a front engine BMW?

So, is this worth picking up?

And before people chime in with the usual "but it's an arcade game" comments, I actually quite enjoy well done arcade racers - I've had a rather fun Sunday morning bouncing between Circuit Superstars, BallisticNG and Pacer.

There is a demo available on the Microsoft game site, it might give you an idea if it would be something you would enjoy.
Once I had found a good set up for my wheel, with the addition of tactile I am enjoying FM7 a lot more than I thought.
Most cars, like in FH4, feel pretty much the same, but they feel ok, comfortable. After all we already have plenty of title cartering to more accurate physic and FFB.
A title with nice graphics and a relax experience is a nice part of a balanced SIM diet.
If Turn 10 ever get their finger out from you know where and give us VR, those 2 titles would be hard to resist.

Last edited:
I think Forza Horizon 4 was probably the best purchase I ever made, and this was after having played it for a year when I subscribed to Game Pass. I bought the VIP edition too (at a discount).

Mind you, I am rooted in hardcore simming, from creating boot discs to run World Circuit and Nascar Racing to buying Voodoo 3000s and 5000s to run GPL, through SCGT modding to today, owning everything that's been released since except Dirt Rally 2.

I did have Forza Motorsports 7 and I enjoyed it, if only for some of the lesser modeled racing cars from my youth (IMSA classics like the '87 Cougar, RX-7s and XR4Ti's!!). Horizon 4 seems to look better, handles better and runs much better than Motorsport 7. There's a point in FM7 where the car yaws, and you feel the game bring it back, even though you've selected the physics model that isn't supposed to step in. Often it conflicts with you trying to correct it and you end with a tailwagging battle between computer and you.

If this nanny is present in FH4, its hard to notice. And when you're in a purpose-built drift car, it must not be there at all because you can let it hang out. It's pretty hard to spin cars out completely, but it happens. Usually because of the adrenaline of a close battle. There is a steady endorphin drip of rewards and cars and accolades to collect that keep you coming back for more. They make just tooling around sliding so rewarding. I own every car you can buy, have auctioned a hundred more, am sitting on 80mm in game credits and still check in every week. Currently, I'm doing the Lego Champions DLC and as a lifelong Lego fan, it makes me smile. (The sound of crashing through brick structures is extremely satisfying).

Favorite car is perhaps a Sunbeam Tiger modified to about 350 horses with weight taken out of it. 2nd is probably a '73 Porsche 911 RS, lightly modified as well. Just rowing through the gears and ripping down country lanes is so pure and exhilarating. Sure, you can dress up your character if you want. But you can also spend time swapping in new parts and tuning your setup.

If you only want to do GT3 races with pit stops or F1 races with 22 cars, for your own sake go elsewhere. But it if you like the act of driving like I do and you're a bit of a car historian, I can't think of anything better. It would be nice to take these wonderful cars on real race tracks with full fields, and that's what FM7 SHOULD be, but it misses in the handling and performance department for me.

The bad: the music (sucks - just turn it off), having to see other drivatars stupid outfits and their stupid emotes before and after races. The reward system is arcade-y, go figure. You can suck and still progress in the game, but if you have actual talent, you fly through the game.

I use a Thrustmaster TX with the Ferrari rim, a TH8A shifter, and T3PA pedals. Force Feedback is great. I swap from stick to paddles depending on the car I jump into. Just perfect.

So, is this worth picking up?

And before people chime in with the usual "but it's an arcade game" comments, I actually quite enjoy well done arcade racers - I've had a rather fun Sunday morning bouncing between Circuit Superstars, BallisticNG and Pacer.

In all honesty it is probably the best racing game of its kind to be released. Had it since day 1 and still love playing it now. Nothing else rivals it in terms of freedom and endless amounts of races/content to explore and discover and weekly events.

So, was the multiUSB device issue ever resolved?

I saw a vireo on FH4 today and thought it looked cool, but it's not allowing my controls to be set up due to the "Device X: axis:Y" problem widely reported.

The game died for me over a year ago. I mean, it's a good game. But personally I don't like the forced service mechanics. The gameplay is still the same and releasing new cars every few weeks won't make it better. The game itself is a good racer but for me it gets boring very quick. The maps look great but they're dead...low traffic, too wide roads and nothing happens in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone with Forza Horizon 4 have centering forces when accelerating? To me when i steer left or right and hit throttle the wheel want to keep going in that direction instead of trying to center itself like in a sim or real life. Its like its the opposite. I tried the Invert FFB option but its kinda the same although weirder.

I also dont feel bumps or uneven terrain but i figured thats just because its a controller game for the most part. I didnt expect simulator FFB but i thought centering forces would be present so one could do a little drifting. :) There are settings for wheel centering forces but they seem to enhance the wheel forces that keep the wheel steering in the direction the car is going. Really hard to drive when its like this.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back