Not feeling lockups at all - something potentially wrong with the FFB

Ever since I bought the game a long time ago, one of my biggest issues with it has been that, while the FFB seemingly works just fine most of the time (though it is rather strong), there is absolutely no difference in the way the wheel feels when locking up. Am I missing something? I've heard some people say that the only thing I should be feeling is the wheel lightening a bit, but even that doesn't happen - the only way I can tell if I've locked up at all is through audio cues.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there any way to fix this or at least check if there is any clipping going on or anything else? I asked around a while ago and nobody seemed to figure out what could be causing it either. Wheel's a G27 and the settings in and out of the game are exactly as they should be. The issue doesn't happen in any other game.

I agree. T500RS, T300RS/TX, CSW V2, OSW...Front lock-up and overall front-grip feel could definitely be improved in my opinion - generally speaking (definitely better with karts). I don't really have a huge problem because I get used to it and can drive by sound and eyes but it definitely makes me a lot less "lazer precise and consistent" when really trying to brake and go through corners on the limit. My personal braking, turn-in, and mid-corner limits are lower than what they could be with a more "in your face" grip-style-FFB. It's like FFB is more tuned for smoothness, weight transfer, and springiness (return to centre) rather than based on tyre grip. In real life, I can feel steering wheels communicating how far past the "bite point" (increasing understeer) and how close I am to the re-bite point (decreasing understeer). You also get this sensation of the tyre sort of wanting to grab the asphalt, like it has claws or actual bite but things in ISI motor during slip angles have always had a sort of "mushy" and dare-I-say "sloppy" characteristic (as if tyres love sliding rather than the scrubbing and biting/grabbing of real life and some other sims).

I think part of it is down to the physics engine. Even rFactor 2 with an apparently much different tyre model has this behavior although it's not as bad in terms of feel but definitely still there in terms of actual driving characteristics of the tyre.
That all does sound quite reasonable and very similar to what I've found during my time in AMS. The friend I was talking about is usually extremely smooth and more reliant on feeling those things in particular rather than the actual tyre grip, and unsurprisingly he does far better than me at the game, about 1-1.5s/lap faster than me relative to our pace difference in AC, on top of feeling far more comfortable and making almost no mistakes whatsoever.

Try what others said. Play with the frontgripeffect (however, it unfortunately drops force too early into the slip angle but we can't adjust that).

I noticed a weird phenomena with my OSW with some older settings. When I enabled Friction in the wheel's FFB control panel (MMos), I got a bit of that tyre skipping and biting sensation when on the limit. It only worked when Friction was enabled (and enabled in MMos - now that OSW users enable Friction from another program, I don't get that sensation anymore :( ). So try adding small amounts of friction and see if it helps.

You can always enable the old-style FFB and tune it for a much more "informative tyre-grip" FFB but that can be a pain. I'm too lazy for that now and don't care any more about every last tenth of a second to drive me crazy inro looking for a super-informative FFB...but I completely understand how you're feeling :)
I'll look into all that when I get the chance and report back. Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back