Nordschleife times are frustrating me

C

Chad711

• Chad711

I've posted about this before at rsc. Here I am again trying to really figure out what it is I am doing wrong. Just some back ground on me. I have raced this track ever since Gran Turismo for playstation 2. I know this track very well. I can run through the whole track in my head, every single turn. I coudl draw it on paper if I had to. So I do not think my issue is "knowing this track".

My best time on this track is 6:45:xx. Doesn't matter if I am in a GT Pro or WTCC Extreme car. That is as good as I can get. I've watched replays, downloaded setups and even got help with setups but just can't get better then 6:45:xx on this track.

After watching replays and following lines from files of people running in the 6:30's I just do not get two things. How are you braking that late and how are you on the gas that early? This is basically the only way people are getting these times any faster then me. I have tried to follow these and there is no way I can do this with out the car getting side ways or losing the line.

I'm just really confused on what I can possibly do to gain a whole 10-15 seconds on this track when I feel I am pushing this car to the limits.

I'm starting to wonder if my wheel settings are off or what. I've tried different settings with my G25. It doesn't really seem to make that big of a difference. Moved wheel rotation from 240 to 540 and now at 400. Lock from 15 all the way up to max. Speed sensitive steering from 50% to 0% to 10%. Doesn't seem to matter. I've used tunes that seem to help out but not enough to get me down under 6:45.

:frusty:

• MafiaMan

Attachments

• ssssssdaddqk8.jpg
    ssssssdaddqk8.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 296
  • ssssssdaim8.jpg
    ssssssdaim8.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 246
  • dddddk8.jpg
    dddddk8.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Chad711

When you get the chance to try the G25 let me know how you did! I've heard some say they are much better on a keyboard then they are with the wheel. I never tried this game with a keyboard myself.

...Now to Nordschliefe, my favorite track... (btw Pro lvl all helps off)

...I’ve recently (1 month?) went from an old ”Flight Yoke" (MS SideWinder Precision 2) driving to a G25 with clutch driving.

On a not that perfect lap I did, with the C5R, 6.36 with my old controller and, at that time, I only had GTREvo for less than 15 days...

What was my shock that, 2 days after having the G25, I wasn't even able of giving a full lap without taking a power or brake spin.

Same setup that gave me a lap around 6.36, now gave me a 7+ mins lap... :p

After reading many topics about G25 settings, I managed to get something that was comfortable for me.

Nowadays with the same car, with the same setup but with 30 steering lock, I can do about 10 secs more than my old time (6.47) wish is near your time and far from the 7 mins that I was doing in the first attempts with G25.

How can I justify the 10 sec deficit?

Well…

Braking, clutching and turning -- I’m taking more time with this operation then for instances with my old flight yoke where I “Brake & turnwith the same move on the yoke and just went down the gearbox like a mad man (no clutching).

Power Slide control -- With my old yoke, I could go from left to right while keeping accelerator down faster than I can with G25. On top of that I feel that I’ve to let go from the accelerator more then I needed to do with the yoke. With yoke the C5R twitched, screamed and went sideways, but I could control it all the same keeping more accelerator then with G25. Even if with the yoke I needed to let go the accelerator (rear wanting to overtake the front) I could go faster on it again (faster brake acceleration transition) as on the G25 where I also have to clutch (although wile going up on the sequential gearbox, I shift keeping full power on wile I clutch).

How does it feel -- the game has a compromise here, it is made in way that also give room for yoke drivers to have a chance (as the things stand ,maybe too much). In truce the 1cm that comprises the yoke move for the acceleration should give much more power slide that it currently gives, putting 500 hp on the tarmac at a fraction of a second should have a price. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating here against yoke, mouse, keyboard or any other drivers, we need them all… ...

So what have I gained with G25 -- nowadays instead of using only one hand/arm to do all the work, I use 2 hands/arms and 2 feet/legs and the virtual driving is MUCH more REAL, that is the true advantage of a G25, not that it is faster…

Where does it excel -- long races, the G25 permits relaxed driving for a long period. With a yoke, after 2 (Nord) laps, my hand was in pain and on the 3rd lap the chance of mistake went up considerably.

Conclusion -- in my view I will get to my old times with the G25, it just takes more time to get used to all the fast coordination needed in comparison to my well educated right hand ; )...

Once again, sorry to quote myself (I hope not making a rule of this), but what is typed above for a flight yoke, can be also true to for a keyboard (especially what is typed on those 8th and 10th lines from the end of the quote).

The good news is that I'm on 35 now with G25 (but in a C6R), lower than the 36 I did with the yoke... but it requires more brain, of that you can be assured, no more full brakes/accelerator "à la carte" ;)

I'm nowhere near those speeds. I look at the acceleration and top speed and just can't believe it.

I'm counter-bracketing the wheel, sliding the back... It seems so easy. He's almost always 1 gear up from me. I don't understand!

I'll try with the posted setup.

• Chad711

Mafiaman I just want to say THANK YOU DUDE!!! :D

I have been trying and trying to get my times better. I have tried so many different setups, making my own, etc and I could never break 6:45 on this track. I told myself that some day I will get down to 6:40 and be happy with that. I figured the 6:30 are only going to be reached by people that know and play this game much more then I have. Well today....drum roll please.... :)

I ran a 6:35 with your setup!!! :woot: And I even spun out in one corner and accidentally drifted one corner.

That one time I ran a 6:45 I never got better then it. Matter of fact I usually ran a 6:47. I cannot believe I got into the 6:30's! I was so damn excited, LOL!

I KNOW I can get under 6:30 now even. Wow, I never thought I would be saying that!

Thank you for sharing your setup!

me ----> :bananamario:

@ Tanaka. I must say I can outbrake most people with the manic downshifting my 360 Pad allows. Over one lap I don't think it harms me that much, perhaps 3/4 tenths max.

It's over proper race distances with tyre wear where it hurts. The absence of being able to drive smoothly, precisely AND fast really hurts my tyres, and after 30/40 minutes my wrists absolutely kill. The pain is quite distracting.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 75 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.8%