Nordschleife times are frustrating me

C

Chad711

• Chad711

I've posted about this before at rsc. Here I am again trying to really figure out what it is I am doing wrong. Just some back ground on me. I have raced this track ever since Gran Turismo for playstation 2. I know this track very well. I can run through the whole track in my head, every single turn. I coudl draw it on paper if I had to. So I do not think my issue is "knowing this track".

My best time on this track is 6:45:xx. Doesn't matter if I am in a GT Pro or WTCC Extreme car. That is as good as I can get. I've watched replays, downloaded setups and even got help with setups but just can't get better then 6:45:xx on this track.

After watching replays and following lines from files of people running in the 6:30's I just do not get two things. How are you braking that late and how are you on the gas that early? This is basically the only way people are getting these times any faster then me. I have tried to follow these and there is no way I can do this with out the car getting side ways or losing the line.

I'm just really confused on what I can possibly do to gain a whole 10-15 seconds on this track when I feel I am pushing this car to the limits.

I'm starting to wonder if my wheel settings are off or what. I've tried different settings with my G25. It doesn't really seem to make that big of a difference. Moved wheel rotation from 240 to 540 and now at 400. Lock from 15 all the way up to max. Speed sensitive steering from 50% to 0% to 10%. Doesn't seem to matter. I've used tunes that seem to help out but not enough to get me down under 6:45.

:frusty:

• Michael Ketterer

hey cool also my friend christian work with me together here in vietnam surely is also interested really nice at the moment im little busy in working so this week is not good and the next two weeks also im on businesstrip but i will contact to if its ok?

Can i ask you if you do man shift or leave it auto? in man it is a lot easier to leave braking later auto doesnt change down fast enough for me my fastest in auto was a 6:47 now i have got used to man shifts got my time to a 6:22 in the wtcc extreme cant get below a 6:40 in the gt though =/

• Chad711

I use manual shifting. I too use the engine to brake the car however there has been a few times where I shifted down too many gears to early and blew the engine! LOL

So far I can't get any better then 6:45:xx

Once in the GT class I was coming down the home stretch and I was pretty sure I cut about 5 seconds off my time. Coming into the second to last turn I lost it and hit the wall. :( :(

I was so mad!

:( that sucks, i personally hate using 1st gear the back wheels spin to much for me also ways seem to spin so i dont think i have ever been in 1st gear on a fast lap, i try to stay above about 5000-6000 rpm as much as i can makes you slower into the corners but helps me from losing it

I use manual shifting. I too use the engine to brake the car however there has been a few times where I shifted down too many gears to early and blew the engine! LOL

So far I can't get any better then 6:45:xx

Once in the GT class I was coming down the home stretch and I was pretty sure I cut about 5 seconds off my time. Coming into the second to last turn I lost it and hit the wall. :( :(

I was so mad!

ouch

• Klyde Parker

You mean Galileo's Principle of relativity (XVII)... although Eindtein's Theory of restricted relativity (XX) uses that Galileo's principle.

Yes Tanaka, you are absolutely correct that Galileo's expressed this theory in his book "Dialogue on the Two Chief World Systems". Thanks for the taking the time and effort to point out this obscure fact. Boy, oh boy, I must look pretty stupid.... however, at least I knew how to spell Einstein correctly. :peace:

You mean Galileo's Principle of relativity (XVII)... although Einstein's Theory of restricted relativity (XX) uses that Galileo's principle...

Typo, what typo? As you can see there is no typo :D

So there is some usefulness in this post, although I must admit, vague, I will quote myself again :madgrin:
...BTW, with the new patch, the DBR9 will go faster on the straight (better aerodynamic coefficient), wish will definitely help you lowering into the 30's...

As many, I can confirm this, although I'm now able to obtain again my "flight yoke" times, the high 30’s (the car wont explode on lap 2), I now have a legion of DBR9 doing low 30's and high 20's.

Mechanically reliance wise, I feel there should be some advantage for these V8 low REVers… but as the game “only” simulates 2hr races max (and most servers only do a 3 laps race, about 20 mins), I don’t know….
I think this V12 can last 2hours, certainly not tuned like when they are doing 20’s, but with some compromise…

If I’m not mistaken there have been some 2hr races here at RD, so perhaps someone with experience in that can add something more (fuel efficiency for instances).

• MafiaMan

From the first time i started the game i stick to 156 extreme and nord. I haven't tried anything else :D . I started with 7min times and with default setup stucked at 6:40's . I almost gave up but then i started to fidlle with setup. In a few day's i came to 6:20's i i thougt it was my best. Then i downloden some time attack's and saw that people are 10 km/h faster on straights. My problem was that i had too much wind on the back. Then i've been runing 6:15 since then i'working on setup. Yesterday i went 6:10:168 and still can do faster. With current setup 6:09:5xx is for sure. It's not everything in late breaking and exiting the corners. I started to slide in corners and it really helped . Also try to attack corners as fast as you can. Don't do shool riding :D . What is BTW fastest time(lap record) ? I'm really interested. My big cons. is that i'm playing on my 14'' Acer on keyboard :s . I have to mention that i'm using ABS but everyyhing else is off and using manual gearbox.

P.S I have the game for 2 weeks :)

P.P.S If your interested i can send you my setup :)

Interesting topic: I had the same stuff going on where I was unable to dip below 6:45 with a M3 on GTR2 on 2.21 while the best time was around 6:30! I never figured this one out – no replay available to see if time was real. I was sweating like a pig and couldn’t get lower than that.

I got stunned when I’ve read that regardless of the car type, you couldn’t pull below 6:45. Arriving home, I started a session using a Chevy Extreme and got 6:45 without pushing it and using the default setup (50 litres in tank). I then fiddled a bit with the setup and got 6:36 in a heart beat using Simbin’s track.

Since I know you know the circuit, let me ask you a couple of question:

• Are you downshifting while braking? Try with a coaster of 60% let say.
  • Lower the lock to 30% or so.
  • About the slow turn you can take on 2nd gear – make sure to decelerate a lot in front. Don’t try to go to fast in them. Slow entering, quick exit – I’m not kidding about this one. I know it feels slow and you think you could go way faster entering them. Don’t get this fool you. The .2 sec you are going to save entering the corner at high speed you’re going to lose .5 on the following straight. That’s especially true for that corner going right up climb after the bridge. First curve after the straight line also count.
  • You should be taking as large as you can…
  • The previous one bring me to this: Do not necessarily follow what the sign are saying! Sometime, the game says 2nd gear but can take it on low/mid 3rd!
  • Careful not the ride the red/white curbs.
  • Make sure to put your car high enough – spacers are a good idea to use. 8cm/1cm for front.
  • Make sure not to be too hard on the rear torsion bar (15nm seems good).
  • Be ready to accelerate early going out of curve – I will usually get at least 2 or 3 curbs where the bottom wants to pass in front because of the early acceleration – even with such a low lock.
  • When I did my (slow time) with the Chevy Extreme, I was using 96% brake with 66.5% in front…
  • Do not put too much fuel!
  • I was using the maximum wing (3 front / 20 rear) – so high speed wasn’t really a concern. As I was saying, I was just trying to get a time near 6:30.
  • I used a lot of camber – in front. 80%-90% to max. 75% rear.
  • Try to download the “BMW around the Nords in 8:22 seconds”.

Let me know if any of these helped.

• Chad711

Thanks for that I will try it out. What do you use for a control (KB, wheel, what type, joystick)?

3 front and 20 in the back for wing? wow...way different then what I use...I usually go with 2 and 8

• MafiaMan

uuu , 2 and 8 is bad combination . You definetly have to put splitter to 3 , but if you put 20 on the back car won't streer very well. Set it to @14 and then try to lower it as much as you can . I'm driving with 11 back wing.

• Chad711

I thought the general idea for front and back where something like

1 front back 3-7
2 front back 8-14
3 front back 15+

MafiaMan,

What is a 156 extreme? A open wheeler?

• MafiaMan

That idea would work if you want stable car , but if you wanna be fast , it has to be unsable :D . So try using 3/14 and then 3/11. See what's better for you . Alfa 156 Extreme . Today i tryed without ABS , and i can do faster laps , just need bit of luck and 6:08 is mine :D

That idea would work if you want stable car , but if you wanna be fast , it has to be unsable :D . So try using 3/14 and then 3/11. See what's better for you . Alfa 156 Extreme . Today i tryed without ABS , and i can do faster laps , just need bit of luck and 6:08 is mine :D

Wanna see a video of that then! Then you would have been faster then Markus Kononen in the V-WTCC WildCardCompetition, so that makes you an alien then (or a cheater :)).

So bring on that full lap video with engine sounds :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 232 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 8.0%
  • < 5 years