Nordschleife: Out of Danger

On November 27th 2012 Kai Richter and Jörg Lindner of the NAG management company finally signed a contract and agreed to leave management of one of the most, if not the most, famous race tracks of the world to an insolvency administrator. They are still, through their company, involved in the hotels around the track, the Formula 1 track itself and the holiday park but the Nordschleife is out of danger.

The most important facts about the agreement:
  • all jobs at NAG are safe
  • the new operating company will seamlessly take over
  • the creditors agreed to this as well
  • the base for future investitions is in the works

The agreement has been dated back to the 30th of October 2012 & the German press release issued by the liquidator is available here. Feedback from the "Save The Ring" initiative is overwhelmingly positive and there's hopefully a lot to look forward to. After how everything went downhill when NAG started managing the Nordschleife it can certainly only get better.

Mike Frison, involved in the "Save The Ring" initiative:
The tyranny of the NAG has come to an end.​

[source: Save The Ring | picture: Lothar Spurzem]
View the Post on the Blog

This is good news. It seemed to me that the ring was never in real danger, according to some articles I have read, but I guess there was a possibility that it could have ended badly.
The way I feel about the ring is the same I feel about other important places in the world. For instance the Buddhas the Afghani Taliban shelled and destroyied a few years ago. It is unlikely that I personally could ever have been able to visit the Buddhas, but knowing they were there, and that they belonged to all of us as a species was a comforting thought. Seeing them shelled was a hard thing to watch and I feel we are all poorer because of it.

The same can be said about endangered species, like the Tiger, the Rhino, the coral reefs. it is unlikely I will ever see any of them in the wild or scuba dive in the great barrier, but they are part of our heritage. They make us all richer. They make our lives richer.

The same is for some of the great racetracks in the world. The 'ring, Monza, SPA, Silverstone. They are places where a considerable slice of our history took place. To me knowing that the Nurburgring is there and that should I make it a priority I could take my car or motorcycle and drive on it, is a good feeling. It is one of those places that transcends ownership and nationalities. COTA (Circuit of the Americas) in Austin was just built and it's a wonderful track. But it has no history. We haven't done enough with it. If it went away tomorrow, I'd be disappointed but only to a degree. if the Ring disappeared I would definitely feel poorer and I think all of us, even those that have no interest in motor racing would be poorer.

Thank the racing gods! I wasn't too worried but it is good to hear a confirmation. Now I just wish a TV station I receive would actually broadcast the 24 hour race... :(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 211 14.3%