Nordschleife Guide

arcadios

100RPM
Aug 20, 2011
Amazing job. I wish someone could cut Nord into sectors and drive (practice) the specific part of the track and not drive from the beginning...

RasmusP

5000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
Amazing job. I wish someone could cut Nord into sectors and drive (practice) the specific part of the track and not drive from the beginning...
You can with project cars 1&2. 3 sectors as described in the beginning of the second post.

Reactions: arcadios

RasmusP

5000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
I know. Grant Turismo has too, but it's different for arcade and simcade compare to ac and rf2.
That's very true but it's still great to learn the track like this.
Pcars 1 is very accurate, but a bit too bumpy, pcars 2 is laser scanned.
For me it's no problem to jump back and forth between these 2 and assetto corsa.
Can't comment on gt as I don't have a PlayStation sadly.
But if you don't own them yet, it's probably not worth to buy them only for learning this track, yeah...

LagunaSeca

75RPM
May 8, 2018
I know. Grant Turismo has too, but it's different for arcade and simcade compare to ac and rf2.
I think since GT6 all real tracks in GTS were laser scanned. So no problems learning the track with GTS.

BTW, I believe people should really ditch the notion of "simcade", which I believe is absolute nonsense but the result of gatekeeping. The driving philosophy is all the same. You brake late, you understeer, so you brake earlier. You stump the pedal hard, you lock up, so you ease it off a little bit. Same operations for both game and real life. The force pattern you feel might be different but hey, irl it varies from car to car as well. Once you know how to negotiate with your car, you are learning something about the motorsport. (real life is much more complicated sure, but you are not on your own since you have a team of engineers.) If you want to race so that you are trying to have a better understanding of the sport, you are driving a simulator.

I play a lots of titles, and I race in real life, and yes I know car engineering and aerodynamics. I however, treat them all with respect and seriousness. You can hold your head high no matter which title you play or which device you have.

Dec 26, 2017
I'm not sure which version of Nurburgring this guide and thread refers to, but FWIW, Niki Lauda listed the leap at Pflantzgarten as "the most exciting place in all the world's grand prix tracks" in his first book (1975). The last airborne leap in Grand Prix racing back then. A spot which caused Hans Stuck to opine: "That knocks the wind out of you down to the last fart!"

Reactions: RasmusP

RasmusP

5000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
I'm not sure which version of Nurburgring this guide and thread refers to, but FWIW, Niki Lauda listed the leap at Pflantzgarten as "the most exciting place in all the world's grand prix tracks" in his first book (1975). The last airborne leap in Grand Prix racing back then. A spot which caused Hans Stuck to opine: "That knocks the wind out of you down to the last fart!"
Since it's in the Assetto Corsa Forum, it refers to the official, laserscanned version from Assetto Corsa :p

Nice quotes and definitely fitting! :D

Nov 25, 2016
You can also spool 8.000km on an M3CSL in GT4 on PS2...as I have done :roflmao:. After that you do know the track. Aside from road mesh and graphics it is unbelievable in retrospect how accurate the track was back then.

Funny enough the car used in that 'Sport-Auto' guide is an '03 M3CSL.

stenovitz

10RPM
Aug 22, 2014
Just jumped into this interesting thread.
Drove Die Grüne Hölle in real life just a couple of years before GPL came to the sim marked with a Nordschleife track available, and just after this playing the track mod for F1C99-02 (yah, I was born in a wrong era, and had to wait as a late teen until Speed King for C64 as most advanced 'sim' in 1985 :D).

I agree with almost all parts of the OP's tips (big kudos!)
Except that I will narrow it down to a more general driving manner, speaking complex tracks:
  • Slow in - fast out
  • Keep the car stable
  • Start out first lap in a slower car (more grip than power and able to break before crash)
  • Drive first couple of laps at maybe just 70% of full speed - close to cruising.
  • Split the track up in sections in your mind after own choise.
  • Concentrate at one or two sections at a time the first laps you drive
  • A lot of sections with slightly curved course can be regarded as straight lines in your mind
Those simple basic rules helped me a lot in early rally games and my real life debut at Nordschleife and later more complicated simracing tracks such as Machwerk, Solitude, Nordschleife Gesamtstrecke, and rally courses like Peyregrosse, not to mention the Kesselberg 70K Runde and especially Targa Florio 72K classic track.
In fact my first lap at Targa Florio in a GTR2 mod some 10 years was near to perfection, just as some marathon runners experience their first marathon as close to perfect; I felt calm all the way, taking it easy with slow in - fast out all the time. At the second lap where I tried harder, in fact I ended up 45 secs slower! So again - have the safe cruising feeling with early braking and fast out all the way, and doing right heel+toe handling of the gearbox payed well off.

Apart from that, I can warmly suggest both NS beginners and +2000 laps experts of the track to take 43 mins of their time with this video from real world classic race car driver driving Die Schleife:

Last edited:
Reactions: Xhadex and RasmusP

stenovitz

10RPM
Aug 22, 2014
And maybe I should add, after a couple of recognition laps, two old quotes from Mario Andretti works very well for Nordschleife:
"Racing isn't about going fast, but to drive just slow enough to stay on track"
"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough".

Though the latter I will not suggest for real world driving, unless you're a very experienced real world driver :D

• Haha

RasmusP

5000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
Just jumped into this interesting thread.
Drove Die Grüne Hölle in real life just a couple of years before GPL came to the sim marked with a Nordschleife track available, and just after this playing the track mod for F1C99-02 (yah, I was born in a wrong era, and had to wait as a late teen until Speed King for C64 as most advanced 'sim' in 1985 :D).

I agree with almost all parts of the OP's tips (big kudos!)
Except that I will narrow it down to a more general driving manner, speaking complex tracks:
  • Slow in - fast out
  • Keep the car stable
  • Start out first lap in a slower car (more grip than power and able to break before crash)
  • Drive first couple of laps at maybe just 70% of full speed - close to cruising.
  • Split the track up in sections in your mind after own choise.
  • Concentrate at one or two sections at a time the first laps you drive
  • A lot of sections with slightly curved course can be regarded as straight lines in your mind
Those simple basic rules helped me a lot in early rally games and my real life debut at Nordschleife and later more complicated simracing tracks such as Machwerk, Solitude, Nordschleife Gesamtstrecke, and rally courses like Peyregrosse, not to mention the Kesselberg 70K Runde and especially Targa Florio 72K classic track.
In fact my first lap at Targa Florio in a GTR2 mod some 10 years was near to perfection, just as some marathon runners experience their first marathon as close to perfect; I felt calm all the way, taking it easy with slow in - fast out all the time. At the second lap where I tried harder, in fact I ended up 45 secs slower! So again - have the safe cruising feeling with early braking and fast out all the way, and doing right heel+toe handling of the gearbox payed well off.

Apart from that, I can warmly suggest both NS beginners and +2000 laps experts of the track to take 43 mins of their time with this video from real world classic race car driver driving Die Schleife:
Nice video and absolutely agree! :)
Massive tracks you listed there, wow!

The steps and process you wrote down are pretty much what I did.
I simply made my own notes a bit prettier and posted them for everyone who doesn't want to think about each corner, decide where to split and how to order the sections in your head etc.

For normal tracks it's a nice little task to do it but for the Nordschleife most give up before they feel the effect of having everything nicely stored in their brain.

I had to drive a lot of laps until I started to see the repetitions, similarities, sections and get it all sorted in my head.
I never found a guide where they explained how to remember everything. They were all about how to drive it, but not how to get that massive amount of corners into your head.

That was the main goal of my thread. To help people how to store and remember, not really how to be faster :)

Reactions: stenovitz

DocFar

1RPM
Jan 21, 2017
Fantastic work - such detail and the vid plus the bit about what is in your mind is great! Incredibly helpful!

Ken Bell

500RPM
Premium
Oct 16, 2009
Wind window down
arm resting on door
one hand on wheel
look at the lovely views
just drive

mmmmm no wonder I am always last!

• Haha