Noob's thoughts and impressions

New to SIM racing. Have thought about it for a long time, and now wish I had started earlier!

Have never used a controller, and went straight for an entry level wheel and pedal kit, the G920, and got a GTR cockpit setup.

Started with AC2, then recently saw PC2 on sale on Steam so picked it up and have been using it. Steam displays that I have used AC2 a bit over 150 hours, though much of that was just playing around with different cars, not really tracking my times. A bit over 50 hours with PC2.

The two games feel and look quite a bit different to me, and both seem to me to have their strengths and weaknesses. The cars feel different to me, it seems like most of the cars on AC2 under-steer compared to PC2. Not a big deal, just have to adjust my driving style. I have not done any modification to car setups, other than I usually choose "pro" level in AC2 (which I am far from, but like the extra challenge). In PC2 I choose "Authentic" under driving assists.

I don't know if this sounds strange, but I can feel the rear start to slide earlier on PC2, so I have that split second to react. On AC2 it seems like once the rear comes loose, I am in a spin before I can react and do anything about it. I very much prefer that feel of the rear beginning to move in PC2.

But AC2 has so much going for it. Great modding community here, and control manager! Tracks all my lap times (why PC2 doesn't do that is baffling to me). Another thing that probably sounds strange, but it seems to me like I can see the entry and exit to corners easier in AC2, which is a big plus. There are a couple of cars I really came to enjoy driving in AC2, and wouldn't you know it, they are not in PC2.

Last thought - I have nothing but respect for folks, SIM racers or real racers, that can turn in consistent lap times! I think I only made a couple of small mistakes, and my lap time shows I lost a full 1.5 seconds. Time to go practice :)

I watched Nico Rosberg playing AC & F1 2020 by Codemasters. I watched some of his hotlaps.

*Source taken from youtube search

Bahrain GP using F1 2020
Rosberg did a low 1:27.0**
Near WR time made by gamer, 1:24.**

Istanbul Park Assetto Corsa
Rosberg did a low 1:33.2**
Near WR time made by gamer, 1:24.***

So in F1 2020, there's a difference of 3sec in lap time. As for AC, there's a whopping 9sec of difference.

What struck me the most is how deep Nico Rosberg trail brake naturally to the apex in F1 2020. Although in AC, he doesn't seem to get the feel of the car. He end up braking too early & accelerate too early. I mean he's off for the acceleration/brake transition, resulting beyond terrible lap time compare to the gamer lap time.

Obviously he got the money to have his rig properly tuned for maximum simulation value.. He got like 400fps in AC. He seems busy enough to not waste time on games.

I am aware that F1 2020 has no purpose to real racing. The track ain't laser scanned nor have advanced physic. Although, when you start to investigate about driving, He actually beat Hamilton in a multi billion with the top of the line athletes. For some reason he is completely off in a reputable realistic title. I'm calling it fail. It's kind of sad to see all those noobies gamer without a steering wheel try & buy the reputable simracing genre for the goal of absolute realism. In the end they get trolled & learn absolutely nothing about driving, The "aka" simcade natural feel does the job much better without relying on advanced physic.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%