Noob - content question

Hi everyone,
I've had a subscription to Iracing for a while and only ever done a few races in the MX-5,
I want to start buying some more content but don't know where to start, what is raced a lot?
Which cars and tracks would be a good start?

(also if i am a lap down and the checked flag comes out, does that mean the race has finished or do i have to complete all 10 laps? I exited a race today after the checked flag came out and i was on lap 9, i think it didn't count as completing the race)

Hi everyone,
I've had a subscription to Iracing for a while and only ever done a few races in the MX-5,
I want to start buying some more content but don't know where to start, what is raced a lot?
Which cars and tracks would be a good start?

(also if i am a lap down and the checked flag comes out, does that mean the race has finished or do i have to complete all 10 laps? I exited a race today after the checked flag came out and i was on lap 9, i think it didn't count as completing the race)
Depends on what you want to race. What is your end goal? The McLaren F1? Or Formula renault? Or GT3?

Because if its a open wheel car I would recommend the skip barber and if its closed wheel I would recommend either the Cadillac CTS-V (free) or the Spec Racer Ford.

And regarding the flag. Just complete the lap you are on when the flag comes out. The spotter should say something that signifies the end of the race like "we'll get them next time!"

(I'm assuming you are interested in road and not oval based on the MX5)

Depends on what you want to race. What is your end goal? The McLaren F1? Or Formula renault? Or GT3?

Because if its a open wheel car I would recommend the skip barber and if its closed wheel I would recommend either the Cadillac CTS-V (free) or the Spec Racer Ford.

And regarding the flag. Just complete the lap you are on when the flag comes out. The spotter should say something that signifies the end of the race like "we'll get them next time!"

(I'm assuming you are interested in road and not oval based on the MX5)
Thanks for the tips, I am definitely into road, the oval racing doesnt interest me at all. not sure of the end goal, I like all types of racing, which ever are the most populated to be honest

Thanks for the tips, I am definitely into road, the oval racing doesnt interest me at all. not sure of the end goal, I like all types of racing, which ever are the most populated to be honest
GT3, the new Porsche Cup Car, FR2.0 and the Skip Barber are probably the most popular.

Everything but the Skip Barber requires a C license which you can get incidentally by racing the Skip Barber in D class.

Licenses are R - D - C - B - A

You progress by reaching 4.0 Safety Rating (in the top corner of the homepage) or by being above 3.0 at the end of each 12 week season (we are in week 4 now AFAIK) in the license class below. So 4.0 in the mx5 will get you to D class, then 4.0 in the Skip Barber will get you to C class. As an example.

Licenses are R - D - C - B - A

You progress by reaching 4.0 Safety Rating (in the top corner of the homepage) or by being above 3.0 at the end of each 12 week season (we are in week 4 now AFAIK) in the license class below. So 4.0 in the mx5 will get you to D class, then 4.0 in the Skip Barber will get you to C class. As an example.
Thanks buddy, you have been so much help, I appreciate it :)

as far as tracks are concerned: check the official schedule, since we are in week 5 now you can still make the series count by buying all 8 track left on the schedule.
It would be wiser, though, to buy three of the tracks left for the series you want to compete in and use the weeks in between for training / practice. Once the new schedule is out in week 11 or 12, look at which class you have reached, which series you may / want to run and then buy the tracks you need to get any 8 of the twelve weeks done, since this constitutes a full season, the rest are drop results. Many of the D-level series try to put 3 or 4 of the free tracks on theirs schedule, while the higher level series might have a free track but might just as well run 12 to buy tracks.
Finding the schedule is easy: go to "find official races" on the membersite, select the fifth item and a .pdf will open.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back