None of the on-wheel buttons of my new Thrustmaster Leather 28 GT wheel work

Hi - I recently purchased a brand-new Thrustmaster T300 Servo base and TM Leather 28 GT Wheel. I have physically setup the T300 servo base and TM Leather 28 GT wheel as per the instructions. The wheel rim is firmly screwed into the T300 wheelbase as hand-tight as it will go.

Before connecting the wheel I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the wheel, restarting my PC, then plugged-in the servo base. I then updated the T300 to the latest firmware.

When I use the Thrustmaster Control Panel application, it appears to recognise the wheel as a Thrustmaster GT Wheel.

Turning the wheel moves the axis slider in the control panel Test Input property sheet, and pressing the number 11 (L3) and 12 (R3) buttons on the wheelbase lights up the correct button boxes on the Test Input sheet. None of the buttons on the wheel itself, nor the D-pad light up on the Test Input sheet, nor do they function in any game, however.

Is it likely my TM Leather 28 GT Wheel Add-on faulty? Or am I doing something wrong? I've tried unscrewing and re-attaching the wheel to the servo base twice, in case in was a connection issue. Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

NB: the mode of the T300 is set to PS3 (for PC compatibility). I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit

BTW I've taken the wheel off and double-checked again, but I have lined up the arrows correctly on both the servo base and wheel rim so that they're both pointing upwards. I reassembled the wheel just in case it would work this time, but still none of the buttons nor paddle shifters work. Massively frustrating, as I've been waiting ages to be able to get a wheel :-(

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear of your troubles but this might help, try the Thrustmaster calibration tool for the t300. Note this is not the software that comes when you install the wheel but is a completely different piece of software, it used to be available for download from the thrustmaster support site although I think I read somewhere that it had been removed but was still available elsewhere for download or by contacting support and requesting it.

I suggest this because I have a Tx base and it recently went completely bonkers during calibration and none of the buttons on the wheel would work, it was the same issue with the stock rim and the F1 add on. I ran the Tx calibration tool and this fixed the crazy calibration antics and all buttons now work fine, try the tool for the T300, you have nothing to lose.
worth a shot dude
There is a post over on a different forum for Project Cars with a guy who had similar problems to me only he had them with the T300 he has posted links for the calibration tool download together with a pdf.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear of your troubles but this might help, try the Thrustmaster calibration tool for the t300. Note this is not the software that comes when you install the wheel but is a completely different piece of software, it used to be available for download from the thrustmaster support site although I think I read somewhere that it had been removed but was still available elsewhere for download or by contacting support and requesting it.

I suggest this because I have a Tx base and it recently went completely bonkers during calibration and none of the buttons on the wheel would work, it was the same issue with the stock rim and the F1 add on. I ran the Tx calibration tool and this fixed the crazy calibration antics and all buttons now work fine, try the tool for the T300, you have nothing to lose.
worth a shot dude
There is a post over on a different forum for Project Cars with a guy who had similar problems to me only he had them with the T300 he has posted links for the calibration tool download together with a pdf.

Thanks, I think this is the thread you meant on the Project Cars forum:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...00RS-Self-Calibration-Issue-at-startup-solved

I'll give it a try

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup thats the one. I would say though, make sure that your firmware is updated to the latest version for the wheel first (you probably already did) then try the tool. hope it all works out ok, if not its probably RMA time.

Upvote 0
Yup thats the one. I would say though, make sure that your firmware is updated to the latest version for the wheel first (you probably already did) then try the tool. hope it all works out ok, if not its probably RMA time.

Okay, just tried running the auto-calibration tool, which finished with an "OK!" message. This doesn't seem to have change anything regarding the lack of any response from any of the wheel's buttons and paddles when I check in Thrustmaster control panel - only the buttons on the the servo base work.

I'm using the the latest driver and updated the firmware the first time I plugged the wheel base into my PC:

Firmware: 25
Driver: 2.8.54

I'm pretty sure it's more likely to be a problems with the TM Leather 28 GT wheel rim than the T300 Servo base, as everything on the base itself seems to work fine (I''ve tested all the buttons on it and the FFB effects). I purchased the former at More Computers (who say they're an Authorised Thrustmaster Reseller) and the T300 Servo base direct from the UK Thrustmaster Store.

Who should I RMA TM Leather 28 GT wheel rim to - the shop I bought it from (they still seem to have some in stock) or to Thrustmaster direct?

Upvote 0
For RMA the point of purchase is usually your first place to try here in the UK.
Also just checking, you have checked the little plug on the wheel rim and the socket that it plugs into on the base for any foreign objects, like a polystyrene bead or perhaps a small piece of polythene? as I have heard that this can cause similar issues (just make sure the contacts look clean and unobstructed)

Upvote 0
For RMA the point of purchase is usually your first place to try here in the UK.
Also just checking, you have checked the little plug on the wheel rim and the socket that it plugs into on the base for any foreign objects, like a polystyrene bead or perhaps a small piece of polythene? as I have heard that this can cause similar issues (just make sure the contacts look clean and unobstructed)

Okay, I've opened an RMA request with More Computers via their web form. The contacts look fine - no bent pins nor obstructions, but you're correct to suggest to check this.

Upvote 0
Fingers crossed for a quick turnaround, any problems give me a shout as I have a spare Tx 458 rim I could lend to tide you over.

Thanks, I'm guessing this is going to take a while to sort out, though not sure how I'd get the TX 458 rim from you (I'm based in Oxford, UK - I don't have own a real car, though...). It's especially annoying as I was hoping to be able to participate in the R3E Rookie Racing event that @Lars Hansen had organised for this weekend :(

Upvote 0
the only realistic way would be some form of postage/courier, if you could arrange a courier to pick it up and return it once you have your wheel sorted out I`ll happily box it up and let you use it np.

Upvote 0
the only realistic way would be some form of postage/courier, if you could arrange a courier to pick it up and return it once you have your wheel sorted out I`ll happily box it up and let you use it np.

Thanks for the offer, but that could end up costing almost as much as a wheel rim! Might see if I can find a T300 PlayStation or GTE or TX rim cheap on eBay whilst I wait for the replacement.

I now have RMA authorisation from More Computers, so will return the rim today. I guess I could use my CSR Elite pedals (which seem to work fine) with my XBox 360 controller in the meantime, though might be a bit weird!

Upvote 0
Ok, I did think it might not be viable, never mind. You could try asking the retailer to send out the replacement rim straight away like amazon do, with out waiting for the return might be worth a shot

Upvote 0
Ok, I did think it might not be viable, never mind. You could try asking the retailer to send out the replacement rim straight away like amazon do, with out waiting for the return might be worth a shot

I've asked, have even suggested that If necessary I would be prepared to order a new wheel if they would then refund me for the faulty one on receipt.

Upvote 0
Okay, got a replacement wheel rim sent out to ,e and all buttons and paddles respond - so it was just a faulty rim! I now have another problem - for some reason the throttle input from my CSR Elite Pedals is inverted in R3E- so when not depressed acceleration is at 100% and when fully depressed is at 0%, but I can't see anyway in R3E to invert the inputs, unlike in AC or AMS, where they work fine. Any suggestions?

More details of the problem is this thread on the Sector 3 forum

Upvote 0
NB: I've managed to sort out the problem with the pedal inputs, all are now working in the correct direction.

Now just need to figure out the best wheel settings for the T300 with R3E...

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing