Non-FPS related stuttering (maybe swapping?)

Anyone else experience that AC can run fine for anything from 30 minutes to one hour - and then suddenly start to freeze up every other second. Sometimes it can be around 10 seconds between them - often much shorter. A lot of HD activity seems to trigger it, but after a while it settles down, but the freezing continues. Usully a reboot is required. I have a i5 3,4ghz and 16 gigs of RAM, so can't really imagine that to be the problem. But it does behave like hard drive lag, at least when it starts.

First though it was the antivirus that was effing around, but the hard drive activity does go down quite fast.

I usually have decent FPS. Drops to around 50 at worst, but I run it at 2560x1440 on a GTX660 (Asus with DirectCU2 cooling) so that's maybe to be expected. When it gets bad it SOMETIMES drops to 40 fps - as if someone pour syrup in it. Sometimes the average FPS keeps around Vsync'ed 60 fps.
Tried 1920x1080 and the behaviour is the same.

Is the game known to have issues like this? I see that others have problems with uneven FPS, but this seems more like something "breaks" in the memory management?

I can run games like BF3, that I think is quite a bit more demanding on the system then AC, and it will run perfect for hours untill I get boored :p

Doesn't really matter, is just a slider. You can set it how you want, but low-static still looks nice and doesn't use much the gpu/cpu.

Anyone here with freezing could try to set a low page file usage. You can't really turn it off, Windows will still use it. Even with a low pagefile, Windows can use more. Although it can improve.

Test this:
qYP5vMO.png

Click Set, then ok and restart.

Edit. Playing Assetto with just 4gb RAM and low page file.. will create windows errors when trying to put many cars on the grid. The error is about too low memory. I will now let Windows manage the page file completely, but who has 8gb or 16gb should be safe playing AC with low page file.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your suggestions, have already tried most but will try the ones i haven't. only posted to let Skagerstrom know there were others in the same boat, seems its quite a big boat. Maybe its a bigger AC problem than ours. Going to try starting windows without any background apps running to see if that helps. All the best sorting your probs out, its annoying when you're in a close race when the car freezes, next thing you know your charging at a wall at 150mph (240kph) in new money.

Quick question, why not use high/ultra settings with pp on?
depends on your graphic card. high-ultra really pushes for it. Sometimes with sli/xfire you put high-ultra just so both cards have something to do than lower settings, but low-static is also recommended for dual+ cards configs.

But for a single card you can try high-ultra reflections, and you'll see the max usage and high fan/temp raise.

Try this....go into Assetto Corsa.....apps....Python folder then delete everything there.
Restart the computer and try AC again.
I did that a while back after a similar stuttering issue and it's run smooth as 'glass' since.
You can also watch the GPU usage afterward on screen and it never spikes.
Stays flat and smooth.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 220 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%