Resource icon

Misc No "understeer FFB effect" Mod 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Aren't you just removing the steering weight completely with this mod? I think those lines do more than just create the force feedback effect where the wheel lightens up when "understeer" occurs in the car. I think they also control how much force feedback is built up for when you want force feedback too.

I am going to experiment a little with it.. seems like setting them all to 0 is the wrong way to do it.

Right above it explains what the values do.. Not all of them are for FF lightening up when understeering.. are they?

scale = overall effect scale
thresholdLow = speed (m/s) effect begins to appear
thresholdHigh = speed (m/s) effect is at full strength
min = min slip angle for effect
peak = peak slip angle for effect
max = max slip angle for effect
minScale = scale for all linear forces when slip angle is on or below min \
peakScale = scale for all linear forces when slip angle is at peak | Blended between
maxScale = scale for all linear forces when slip angle is on or above max /
minForce = force for all linear forces when slip angle is on or below min \
peakForce = force for all linear forces when slip angle is at peak | Blended between (forces 0..1)
maxForce = force for all linear forces when slip angle is on or above max /

I think the lines also control wheel weight or FF strength before the fake "understeer effect" happens.. SO you are cutting a lot more out than you should. That is my theory/ question anyway. I will find out.

No, it does not remove FFB. It just removes effect caused by fake slip. There are a lot more lines related to suspension movement, kerbs, spin, etc. If your FFB is gone after this mod then you have wrong wheel setup.

Last edited:
The title above all of these settings is "<!-- Steering weight" And there are settings which control the wheel weight based on the speed o f the car before the car ever understeers.

thresholdHigh = speed (m/s) effect is at full strength for example. So before the front wheels understeer, it seems there is a ramp up in FF which these lines control.. before it goes limp when the so-called understeer happens.. That is why I think there is more to it.

Anyways, I have not thoroughly tested it yet.. I will report back afterwards.

I just tested this mod, and it absolutely takes away more force feedback effect than just the FF letting up or going light when the car understeers. It is completely obvious and anyone who took 5 minutes to test it would come to the same conclusion.

It also reduces some of the build-up of FF when going into a corner while you still have traction.

I'm not sure if this mod was tested by the uploader, or just a copy/paste from a 2012 mod or what, but that's what I just found out testing back to back files.

I will do further testing and I think I can accomplish what this mod tries to, but with more of a scalpel, instead of a sledge hammer.

I will actually test it thoroughly before making claims of what it does or does not do.

****EDIT****

With 10 minutes testing I was able get rid of that understeer FF let-off.

Change this
<FFBSlipAngle scale="1" min="0" peak="0.41" max="1.08" forceThresholdLow="0" forceThresholdHigh="115" minForce="2.5" peakForce="10.0" maxForce="0.38" scaleThresholdLow="0" scaleThresholdHigh="90" minScale="3.5" peakScale="6" maxScale="1"/>

To this

<FFBSlipAngle scale="1" min="0" peak="0.41" max="1.08" forceThresholdLow="0" forceThresholdHigh="115" minForce="2.5" peakForce="10.0" maxForce="6" scaleThresholdLow="0" scaleThresholdHigh="90" minScale="3.5" peakScale="6" maxScale="1"/>

See it makes perfect sense too.
maxForce = force for all linear forces when slip angle is on or above max /

That was the first value I tried, and it worked fine. I suppose you could fine tune that, so if you wanted a little bit of that effect, maybe try a 1, 2, or 3, or if you wanted the FF to continue to build, maybe 8, or 9, or even 10.

6 was a guess and it seems to work great without affecting any of the other FF effects that actually help you feel what the car is doing. I might try different values to see what it feels like.

Try the stock file, and my change and the one in the OP back to back if you want to see the difference.

Last edited:
^ Totally agree with you mate, tried the OP's setting several days back and it totally destroys cornering feedback by zeroing those values ( on a Fanatec wheel ).

Will try out your revised edit of the slip angle. cheers :)

Increasing maxForce does nothing to get rid off slip angle effect. You will still have fake force applied when cornering which have nothing to do with suspension, downforce settings, tyre wear, fuel level, weather and much more. You want to drive slowly because CM decided to give every possible race/setup combination just one single feedback option - your choice. Other people might have different ideas. Please stop spamming my thread with your "ingenious" findings.

Last edited:
He is not spamming, simply pointing out that changing the values to zero do nothing to remove understeer.

If we are going to change values for forcefeedback there at least has to be some logical and sound reason behind it.

Of course anyone is free to modify anything in the files that allow it but you have to balance it with what you are trying to achieve.

He is not spamming, simply pointing out that changing the values to zero do nothing to remove understeer.
To remove understeer, yes. You can't remove understeer changing FFB parameters if car wants to understeer it will anyway. People seem to have problems keeping attention with mod description.
If we are going to change values for forcefeedback there at least has to be some logical and sound reason behind it.
Who is "we" ?
Of course anyone is free to modify anything in the files that allow it but you have to balance it with what you are trying to achieve.
It does what it should - removes unnecessary FFB effect.

Last edited:
I think you are just being argumentative for the sake of it now :O_o: but anyway, "we" means F1 2013 users reading your post.

Force Feedback is there for a reason but maybe your wheel is stuffed. If you don't want understeer then learn to brake and apex the corners correctly ;)

Increasing maxForce does nothing to get rid off slip angle effect. You will still have fake force applied when cornering which have nothing to do with suspension, downforce settings, tyre wear, fuel level, weather and much more. You want to drive slowly because CM decided to give every possible race/setup combination just one single feedback option - your choice. Other people might have different ideas. Please stop spamming my thread with your "ingenious" findings.
Did you even try the settings I provided? I mean, if you did, you can surely see there is more FF while loading up into a corner, then there is no or verry little "understeer FF loss".. I mkean I think we are talking about the same thing here.

I have a Fanatec CSR wheel, with 50/100/0 effects/overall/weight in game settings. Maybe you have a different wheel that acts totally differently..

I guess I'll make my own thread, I would have thought that you would like some contribution to this problem of FF letting off with this weird "understeer effect". You cannot tell me you tried my settings and say that effect is not gone.

edit
Oh, and if you call my work and testing "spam", you are just being ridiculous.

^ Totally agree with you mate, tried the OP's setting several days back and it totally destroys cornering feedback by zeroing those values ( on a Fanatec wheel ).

Will try out your revised edit of the slip angle. cheers :)
Please do, and let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing