No more street cars

I personally like having some street cars, I like driving them from time to time and it's good variety from racecars. On the other hand many players have little or no interest in them, and there is very little online racing with road cars.

Maybe a compromise would be to have some road-going cars but a much smaller percentage than in AC. In AC about half of official cars are road cars, make that something like 25-30% for AC2.

Last edited:
Racing streetcars, with street tyres, on a racing track makes zero sense for me though. Don't enjoy that at all.
Same here. I also think it's unrealistic to expect ultra realistic racing simulation and car collecting in the same game. Each car is probably a highly complicated and unique project at this level.

Racing streetcars, with street tyres, on a racing track makes zero sense for me though.
To me it does make some sense since people to go to trackdays with their cars, most notably the Nordschleife, but those are held all around the world. The kinds of cars we'd most likely get - going by AC's roster - would fit track days quite well imo.

I do agree that doing a normal quick race at Silverstone with a lineup of random street cars does not make sense though.

I can't downvote this enough tbh! I love the road cars. Sorry.
Haha, I look at it differently. Ideally we'd get every decent car that ever existed, because we all love cars right, but practically quality and quantity are just opposed to eachother. Before PC3 and ACC released we didn't really know who would make a better sequel, but ACC wins for most sim guys hands down because Kunos went PRO and Slightly Mad went AM.

To me it does make some sense since people to go to trackdays with their cars, most notably the Nordschleife, but those are held all around the world. The kinds of cars we'd most likely get - going by AC's roster - would fit track days quite well imo.

I do agree that doing a normal quick race at Silverstone with a lineup of random street cars does not make sense though.
Good point, Nordschleife in a street car can be very exciting, and it is cool to be able to compare the race and street versions of a car in the same game.

But also on the real Nords the fun starts when you are able to fit some more racier tyres to your road car. I would race them a lot more with slicks available :)

But also on the real Nords the fun starts when you are able to fit some more racier tyres to your road car. I would race them a lot more with slicks available :)
But didn't the road cars in AC1 all at least have semi slicks available? IIRC some older cars even had a choice between era correct road tires and modern road tyres.

But didn't the road cars in AC1 all at least have semi slicks available? IIRC some older cars even had a choice between era correct road tires and modern road tyres.
Yep, there are only a few cars that only have road tires; one I know of is the Maserati Alfieri. Most have semislicks (SM) available.

Invited OP for a session on our server (our community races mostly road cars on semis) and he accepted, if there are more people that need convincing, send me a PM :)

I think road cars are essential for ac. But the word road car can mean so many things. It can be alfa romeo mito which is a 170hp fwd hothatch, it can be a BMW z4 sportscar or audi s1 modern road car. Or a stock modern bland corolla or a fiat from 1960s. Or it can be a ferrari F40, mclaren p1, ferrari 458 or ktm x-bow. In my opinion sporty road cars are great fun to drive. Ferrari f40 was a car I never thought I'd see in a sim for example. Ac not having f40 would hurt me a lot. At least for me it was a very fond moment to drive that in a sim. I also did some races in gran turismo 5 with stock K-cars. Those races were incredibly fun. Super close, super slow. Can't have that kind of experience with pure road cars.

That being said I don't really care about bmw z4, audi s1 (modern road car), SUVs as a whole, or bone stock 60s and 70s and 80s road cars. The default suspension is always pretty bad and they can't do racing. They are lookers or grocery getters. So for me a key point is handling. The car needs to be fun to drive. Not just good to look at or good sounding. Something like a cobra or nissan gtr fills those criteria, a corolla or audi s1 doesn't.

I think race and track prepped road cars should also be a focus. I don't mean adding an upgrade system of cars into the game. I mean there being upgraded versions being available in the game. Ac1 had S1 and S2 and so forth versions of some cars. There is a ferrari f40 S3 for example but I don't know what it is supposed to be. I'd hope to see more of that. Not just big power but small suspension upgrades, weight reduction, better rubber and maybe even small aero updates. All done realistically. I understand that additional 3d work could make these super expensive to make and there are license reason why this is not possible with certain cars. But I'd be fine without graphical updates, just physics updates would be enough. Then match these upgraded cars into their own classes. These cars would drive somewhat similarly to old touring cars and be hella fun!

Another thing ac2 imho SHOULD focus more is trackday specials. One of the weaknesses of ac1 is that it didn't have a good selection of cars like ktm x-bow, caterhams, radicals, ariels and other cars made for the track first, road driving second. I'd also look at historic reproductions, like this:

Also I enjoyed driving the supercars in ac a lot. I still remember doing races where you had mclaren mp4-12c, nissan gtr and ferrari 458. It was super fun. The cars require skill to drive but they were somewhat equally paced and each had their strengths and weaknesses. Looks great and sounds too. Demanding but rewarding. Would be sad to miss that and have to drive comparitively soulless gt3s in their place as an only option for a sportscar.

To sum it up the way I see it road cars are fun to drive. But of course I have my own set of ideals what is a good road car addon into the game and what is not. My ideals are based on racing. I want good handling so I don't care about old road cars no matter how beautiful they might look or sound. I want to race these cars and I want that they are suited and, if necessary, updated for circuit use. And I'd want the cars divided into classes so there is always variety and an ideal competitor for any car. Unless it is specifically a single car class, like miatas or fiat 500 cup or whatever.

So if I got to choose road cars for ac I'd want:
- trackday specials (radicals, caterham r500)
- supercars and hypercars (mclaren p1 and gtr, ferrari f40, diablos, lexus lfs etc.. )
- fast cars with known good handling (honda integra and nsx, porsches, bmws, but again track oriented ones)
- circuit prepped road cars and tuner cars (R34s, mustangs, S2000s, subarus etc.. HKS gtr, best motoring!)
- drift prepped road cars and time attack cars that are heavily built for their own purpose. I am not drifter nor do I generally like to drive the too extreme time attack cars but I think there is a crowd for those and having official content is good. If you make a 3d model of drift car you can easily make it into tuned racing car as well with different chassis setup for example. Two cars at the price of one.

I don't really understand the position against road cars. I can understand that road cars feel slippery and mushy if you come down from an f1 car or gt3 or from a single seater or lemans prototype but that is not a bad thing. It is supposed to be different. I personally like cars that move around and don't take millisecond reaction times to catch a slide. There is more about being better than just faster lap times, more on rails handling, more peak lateral Gs, later braking points and higher top speeds.

Also majority of real life cars that are raced are relatively close to stock so racing road cars is very much realistic. Somewhere I heard the most raced car in the world is a miata. Road cars when chosen well are all fun to drive and race. They are not on rails, with big slicks and tons of horsepower, driving aids and flappy paddle shifters. Those things imho makes them more fun. But more importantly road cars are different from race cars. They add a real variety to the game and also open up secondary uses for the game other than racing.

Last edited:
It's quite obvious why Assetto Corsa is so popular and still to this day some people just don't understand it.

The biggest reason AC is so popular is road cars and mods. AC is a perfect gateway into simracing. I know most simracers probably scratcing their heads right now but hear me out.

If you are on the fence on simracing or started with simcade games like Forza/GT. You might not be intrested in pure GT racing. Most casual simracers grew up loving fast and the furious and need for speed, so you gotta ease people into simracing. And being able to drive a 800 hp RX7 with proper physics is a lot more interesting than GT3s or prototype cars.

This is like I said a gateway into more motorsport racing and AC has really tapped into a market.

With this said its obvious AC must have mods and road cars to keep luring people in.

If you only want motorsport racing there is already great sims like ACC, AMS2, Iracing, Raceroom etc.

It's quite obvious why Assetto Corsa is so popular and still to this day some people just don't understand it.

The biggest reason AC is so popular is road cars and mods. AC is a perfect gateway into simracing. I know most simracers probably scratcing their heads right now but hear me out.

If you are on the fence on simracing or started with simcade games like Forza/GT. You might not be intrested in pure GT racing. Most casual simracers grew up loving fast and the furious and need for speed, so you gotta ease people into simracing. And being able to drive a 800 hp RX7 with proper physics is a lot more interesting than GT3s or prototype cars.

This is like I said a gateway into more motorsport racing and AC has really tapped into a market.

With this said its obvious AC must have mods and road cars to keep luring people in.

If you only want motorsport racing there is already great sims like ACC, AMS2, Iracing, Raceroom etc.
The explosion in popularity with the Forza Horizon series shows that there is a market for car games that aren't entirely about 'real racing'. AC2 needs street cars and maybe freeroam maps too if they want to capture the same audience as FH, alongside the 'real racing' cars/tracks. :thumbsup:

I think one thing that this discussion has highlighted is that road cars are seen as less pure simracing content. There is certain elitism here. For some reason people then think that putting road cars into a simulator makes it less serious, makes it more forza type of game and maybe even less realistic. Like the addition of road cars suddenly make the sim less sim. Some people even try to elevate themselves higher because they don't drive road cars. Pushing others down to make yourself look taller is just pathetic.

I can't help but feel a bit sad about such opinions. After all the only real connection most people have on driving cars at racing speeds in real life is either karting or driving their own cars at track days. Is that because people want to do forza things in real life? Last time I checked when niels and jimmy broadbent went to assen to do some track driving last year they were talking about how it correlates to sim driving and simracing. Not how the road cars compare to forza even if the cars they were driving were bmw 120 somethings. Or is it just that a rollcage and stripped interior makes a non-kosher road car into a socially acceptable race car?

Also in real life when the real f1 drivers drove the mercedes 190e road cars in an actual televised race - was that more of a forza type of thing or simracing thing? If you wanted to recreate that would you really prefer forza or say rf2/ac just because they are road cars? What about the jaguar xj15 race series? Road cars doing racing with real racing drivers. What about this or that... Does the quality of drivers even matter? The only real life gt3 driver requirement is money. That's the pinnacle of simracing?

I also find this elitism with race cars only a bit sad because it is a nonsensical way to limit your scope of possible different experiences in racing sims. Road cars are one niche in the whole driving a car on track niche, just like time attack cars, lemans protos, f1 cars, trackday specials, karts or offroading and rally are their own niches. Not driving anything you can means you are missing out. They are all more or less different and the same at the same time. They are all sides of the same dice. They are all fun real racing and be all just as real or serious. None is weaker than other. Some are more famous but if fame is the thing that matters then anything below f1 is not good enough.

In the end simracing is all about competition and pleasure of driving and racing in all of those niches and to arbitrarily leave out road cars because of idealistic elitism is imho just wrong. It would be the same as saying anything less than 24 hours is not a true endurance race or that anything less than marathon is not true running. It is nonsensical idealistic elitism. After all with that mindset doing short races in endurance race cars is imho more forza than driving road cars on race tracks because one thing is pretty close to its real life experience whereas the other one is pure fantasy.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 73 9.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 106 13.8%