no controllers detected in rF2

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
Premium
Every once in a few months I start up rF2 to see how it progresses.
Today was such a day as I was curious to try out a few cars around Sebring.
The last time I ran rF2 was when the Endurance pack was freshly released and everything was running fine.

I have not changed anything regarding rF2 or my controller setup. No drivers have been changed, no USB ports changed, all is the same.
I run Assetto Corsa regularly and have seen no issues whatsoever.

rF2 completely ignores controller hardware, no wheel, no pedals, no shifter. I cannot detect any controllers. I cannot map any controls.

Anyone had same issues?

Do you have any accessories like shifters or pedals or even gamepads? Verify in windows that the wheel is the first item listed. Several companies, like Thrustmaster, only seem to work in rF2 if they are the first controller listed in windows. Then in rF2, don't forget to have the sim look for your wheel. If not found, try scrolling through the list of available profiles.

Did you try backing up and deleting all files in root Player folder ( leave Settings)
Start rFactor2 check control
Setup controller/s and save profile
Not tried this yet, will do next time I find some time and nerve to trouble shoot rF2.

I had something similar when I reinstall rf2, I loaded a track and restarted game, worked for me.
Nothing like this worked unfortunately.
I tried all available different controller profiles including the one I saved when the Endurance pack was released.
I restarted rF2, tried to let rF2 detect controllers ("No controllers found"), checked that my controllers are normally registered in Windows (why should they not - they are perfectly working with all other racing sims I use after all and have been working with rF2 as well before without any changes made).

Do you have any accessories like shifters or pedals or even gamepads? Verify in windows that the wheel is the first item listed. Several companies, like Thrustmaster, only seem to work in rF2 if they are the first controller listed in windows. Then in rF2, don't forget to have the sim look for your wheel. If not found, try scrolling through the list of available profiles.

Yes, I use CSWv2, CSPv3 and CSS, all separately attached directly to the computer - all are listed properly as devices, all are working normally both in the Fanatec driver UI and in all other racing sims - just rF2 decided to ignore them since the last time I used rF2 :-(

Apparently the internet is littered with this exact problem with rF2 on the developers forum, Steam forum and several sim racing forums - there is no definitive cause of the issue known. Trouble shooting apparently ranges from manually registering controllers from device manager to a manually edited controller json file through rolling back the Steam software with custom hacked dll files through rolling back Windows updates through connecting controllers exclusively through USB 2 ports (which new computer these days even has still USB 2 ports - mine doesn't :-( )through, …

This is just way, way above what I am willing to go through just to do a few hot laps in rF2.
This could be such an amazing racing sim if not for the constant half finished science project experienced :-( It is not even that I am using some exotic gear - it's all middle of the road off the shelf standard Fanatec hardware - nothing out of the ordinary.

It's a real shame - I just wanted to try out Sebring - I feel a bit like having bought two large coffees at the local favorite coffee shop, having left the shop and stumbled onto the sidewalk, spilling all the coffee.

Should I go back in and get a new coffee or should I just say … ?

@Dirk Steffen can you get in touch, here, on our forum or on Discord, so we can help you troubleshoot this? As a first step I would appreciate it if you could send me a trace.txt logfile (use the +trace=2 launch option to enable them) so I can take a look at the controller detection information in that file. We'll try to go from there.

SOLVED

Thanks Marcel for the offer of help ;-)

I experimented further and here is what I did:
- delete all unused controller profiles in rFactor 2 / UserData / Controller (I figure this has no effect on rF2 recognizing the controller properly but it surely makes clicking through the profiles in the UI a lot easier)
- opened the Windows controller profiles, clicked on "Advanced" and marked "Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2" as preferred controller for older games (I never knew this option existed and never changed any settings here before - this may be an important setting to make sure rF2 sees the controllers)
- started rF2 and it works again as before

The "rF2" logo appears again on start up in the LCD display of the wheel (it did not when rF2 would not recognize the wheel) and the wheel works exactly the same as it did when I used rF2 last time when the Endurance Pack was released.

I did a couple of laps around Sebring and I have to say: I am seriously impressed by the track and will surely do some laps there in the future!

Ah, great to hear that (I just responded to your conversation, feel free to ignore that). Thanks for sharing your solution with the community.
Thanks for getting in touch and everyone should share solutions and ideas so no second person finds themselves in the same conundrum ;-)

Maybe points as the above could be added in an accessible FAQ database as potential solutions ?
I would love to have a detailed database accessible rather then searching the different forums and experimenting with wild ideas.

bonjour,
j'ai actuellement le même problème , après plusieurs réinstallation et tout les essais vue sur le net!
mon problème persiste :(
@Marcel Offermans j'ai essayé dans les options de lancement ( +trace=2 ) , mais aucun fichier apparaît
comment puis-je y remédier
cdt

Last edited:
I have solved this issue with my game, I will share. Not sure if it will work for you but worth the try.
1) Go-to settings and click on Load Controller profile
2) There will be multiple profiles for your controller. (I am using Logitech G29)
a) Logitech G-HUB G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel USB (Not working)
b) Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel USB (Working)
3) Choose the 2nd option (without G-HUB).

There you go!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing