NLR/Motion Systems Mid-Range Motion System Experience

So I have now put 106+ hours (as reported by Platform Manager software) on this setup and I feel like I can give an opinion on its performance and it's impact to my sim race driving.

The lateral movement of the Traction Plus Platform has helped my consistent safe driving in an extreme way. Recovery of poor cornering has never been so easy. There is no way I can live without it now. You almost forget it is there, because in the VR racing, it is such a natural feeling and pretty close to what you would expect. However, if it was turned off, it would be extremely noticeable and highly missed. Can't say enough about how pleased I am with it.

The Motion V3 seat mover is essential in that it really helps immersion. I'm not going to say it helps with driving, but it really increases the immersion, so I can't do without that either. It is fun, enough said.

My biggest concern was the head motion tracking in VR. The cockpit pitches left and right and moves a lot, sliding has never been as much fun in a sim. But VR head movement must remain anchored that only driver head movement is noticeable. Well, I'm extremely happy with the Motions System head tracking results. It is pretty awesome. I never noticed cockpit movement in the sim, only my slight head movements are observed, as I would expect. I would swear from VR view my cockpit is not moving at all, but I can feel that it is, so immersion is perfect, I'm in a car feeling the motion, but not observing it except from a drivers view point. Kudos to the VR head motion development team, they got it right.

I've been thinking about buying three monitors to have access to other non-VR racing games, but motion and VR mate perfectly. Hopefully most race sims in the future will embrace VR. Sure, the resolution is not as good, but really can't compare the "you are really there" experience.

As for this racing platform, 106+ hours and still working it's butt off. I really put it through it's paces, and I'm not having any problems at all. I don't know how many hours I have on this thing before it gives up the ghost, but I won't sim race without it or something similar again.

VRM Cockpit.jpg

@gmkump I just weighed my rig, and it is currently 274 lbs. That means I can gain 50 lbs and still fit under the weight limitation!!!!!

My problem is that I still need my rig to be mobile. I'm looking at putting a profile frame under the Traction Plus, but I figure the total weight of my existing rig + the Traction Plus + a supporting frame may be 600lbs total. I'm thinking 6 x heavy duty retractable casters should work. Since they come in 4 packs, maybe I would just use 8 of them. I'm hoping the rolling resistance on carpet with 6 - 8 very wide casters would be reasonable.It may cost me another $500 just to setup a supporting structure that I can use to roll it across the floor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wondered what you would do about the mobility. The traction plus is pretty heavy, about 250 lbs (come shipped in three parts). That is one of the brilliant things about your rig, how you have it setup for mobility, makes me very envious.

I've been thinking about three monitors just in case I have a non-VR title I might want to take for spin, though VR will always be my first choice. But to do that, I have to "move" my rig to make room. I am not looking forward to that, because currently I can't budge it. So I'll have to tear it all down and move by parts, reconstruct in new location. Oh how I wish I had your solution!

Upvote 0
I wondered what you would do about the mobility. The traction plus is pretty heavy, about 250 lbs (come shipped in three parts). That is one of the brilliant things about your rig, how you have it setup for mobility, makes me very envious.

I've been thinking about three monitors just in case I have a non-VR title I might want to take for spin, though VR will always be my first choice. But to do that, I have to "move" my rig to make room. I am not looking forward to that, because currently I can't budge it. So I'll have to tear it all down and move by parts, reconstruct in new location. Oh how I wish I had your solution!

First the Traction Plus isn't available, Second with the economy where it is I'll probably wait off a bit before considering a purchase, on top of that I wouldn't order a thing until I had my mobility issue completely worked out. I could build a plywood deck with grid pattern supports much less expensively and bolt the retractable casters directly to that.

I'm also debating whether I would want a sheet of 1/8" aluminum bolted under my chassis so a foot couldn't accidentally go through while things are moving sideways.

Upvote 0
I'm also debating whether I would want a sheet of 1/8" aluminum bolted under my chassis so a foot couldn't accidentally go through while things are moving sideways.

Yes, that "floor" addition will be very important. The GTtrack had "floor" mounting plates that addresses that issue, no way I can get my feet tangled in the moving parts while in my seat.

As for Traction Plus not available, I ran into that as well, so I just ordered direct from NLR. The staff was very supportive of that, gave me the GTtrack cockpit as a gift. Of course, I was put on a three month back-order, plus had to wait for the boat from England to deliver it. Oh well, that wait is the past, it is here now, that is all that counts. I was a bit concerned, being an early buyer in the USA, but diagnostics reports over 200 hours of use and I have not experienced issues so far. Cross fingers.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing