NLR/Motion Systems Mid-Range Motion System Experience

So I have now put 106+ hours (as reported by Platform Manager software) on this setup and I feel like I can give an opinion on its performance and it's impact to my sim race driving.

The lateral movement of the Traction Plus Platform has helped my consistent safe driving in an extreme way. Recovery of poor cornering has never been so easy. There is no way I can live without it now. You almost forget it is there, because in the VR racing, it is such a natural feeling and pretty close to what you would expect. However, if it was turned off, it would be extremely noticeable and highly missed. Can't say enough about how pleased I am with it.

The Motion V3 seat mover is essential in that it really helps immersion. I'm not going to say it helps with driving, but it really increases the immersion, so I can't do without that either. It is fun, enough said.

My biggest concern was the head motion tracking in VR. The cockpit pitches left and right and moves a lot, sliding has never been as much fun in a sim. But VR head movement must remain anchored that only driver head movement is noticeable. Well, I'm extremely happy with the Motions System head tracking results. It is pretty awesome. I never noticed cockpit movement in the sim, only my slight head movements are observed, as I would expect. I would swear from VR view my cockpit is not moving at all, but I can feel that it is, so immersion is perfect, I'm in a car feeling the motion, but not observing it except from a drivers view point. Kudos to the VR head motion development team, they got it right.

I've been thinking about buying three monitors to have access to other non-VR racing games, but motion and VR mate perfectly. Hopefully most race sims in the future will embrace VR. Sure, the resolution is not as good, but really can't compare the "you are really there" experience.

As for this racing platform, 106+ hours and still working it's butt off. I really put it through it's paces, and I'm not having any problems at all. I don't know how many hours I have on this thing before it gives up the ghost, but I won't sim race without it or something similar again.

VRM Cockpit.jpg

This is exactly what im planiing to purchase over the next few weeks,minus the traction plus as thats later in the year.

Im glad your enjoying it. Im Using the Valve Index at the moment.

I see you dont have the belts attatched,i heard once you do the belt mod it makes it feel even better

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review, looks like a great setup!

I was considering going the same route as well, until I saw the cost. The seat mover at $3k although high, wasn't outrageous to me, but the traction loss system at $7k was definitely more than I'd want to spend on that piece alone. I'm now looking at going with at Prosimu T1000 3M system, which costs significantly less. Granted it won't be able to do the front side to side motion, but I haven't seen many other systems that offer that.

I would love to have the NLR setup, if only the cost was a bit less. I would also love to be able to try the various systems in person, but I'm in the USA, and it seems most of these companies are based elsewhere.

Upvote 0
This is exactly what im planiing to purchase over the next few weeks,minus the traction plus as thats later in the year.

Im glad your enjoying it. Im Using the Valve Index at the moment.

I see you dont have the belts attatched,i heard once you do the belt mod it makes it feel even better

I have the valve index on order as well, but there is a two month wait list. The Rift S has advantage in that it does not need external sensors (wish they all did that), but the Valve Index has a better display which is what counts most, even if you do have to use those silly externally mounted sensors.

The seat belts, as far as I'm concerned, is eye candy only. I saw no reason to keep them on. If you like to be strapped in for immersion, that is your choice. I'd rather keep them off for easier access/egress from seat.

Upvote 0
As an NLRv3 owner for over a year, I do think seat belts help by holding you in place better.

You can go one step further and motorize the seat belt tension to add a bit more for braking. There are some solutions that mount directly to the back of you chair making them compatible with a seat mover.

Upvote 0
Okay, you guys convinced me. I went ahead and put the seat belts back on, and actually finding a better place to attach them. After trying them out, I'll agree it helps with immersion. I couldn't believe I would change my mind, but immersion is the most important, so I am keeping them on. I won't bother with another shot just to show I do not lie, but the belts are on now and after I try a dozen races, will make my final decision. I'm thinking they will stay.

I'm really interested in this seat belt tension device that works with braking. You have a link or something that I could check it out, or just a generic search on net is best?

Upvote 0
I know a guy who made 3D files for the parts that mount on the back of your seat. Then you need a servo motor and likely an arduino or something similar. He put a lot of effort into it and I think he was asking for $30 paypal payment to get the STL files. I think I know two people using this system. I saw a number of pictures a while back.

It's been a little while since I looked into it.

Upvote 0
I have had my dozen races and will admit, seat belts help the immersion. I stand corrected. Though I have started several races and after some bouncing and swerving, realized I forgot to fasten the seat belts, pause, put them on, tighten, and on goes the race. That isn't good for immersion, but at least a pause is available!

I went ahead and included a shot with seat belts.

Attachments

• seatbelts.jpg
    seatbelts.jpg
    945.2 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
The only thing I have noticed is that the traction platform does not easily bolt up to an 8020 rig.

There were eight holes to fasten the cockpit to. It was obviously engineered for the NLR GTtack cockpit since all eight holes aligned to it. However, I would think some under cockpit panel attachments to other cockpits and drilling the necessary holes would allow one to attach other third party cockpits. It would take some work in placing lower base panels to allow attachment to the Traction Plus platform, but would preserve using you favorite ccckpit.

For me, I just didn't know anything about cockpits when I selected Traction Plus Platform. All I wanted was something better than my play seat and wheel attached to my computer desk and pedals on the floor. Didn't know squat about cockpits, so I was happy to comply with the Traction Plus requirement of GTtrack cockpit. A lot better than what I had.

By the way, I have received extrusions to raise the pedals higher. The V3 motion unit lifts the seat about 7 inches above the original cockpit mount. Waiting for some other attachment parts, but I definitely need to raise the floor pedals an additional seven inches than it's current location.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How does the seat feel ?

I was going to purchase the Gt Ultimate seat to use with the V3 Motion Platform,but my problem is that you cant buy the GT track Platform with the Ultimate seat,The ultimate seat looks really comfy over the standard seat you get with the platform.

So my option is to buy the full setup you have or buy the Gt Ultimate Seat and add the V3 Motion below it,not having the sim cockpit but then using my DIY one i have at the moment.

Upvote 0
The seat feels fine, but I'm sure I could do better. I'm okay with it though, so I'll keep it for now. Obviously getting the full setup was the easiest and I'm not complaining.

Upvote 0
How does the seat feel ?

I was going to purchase the Gt Ultimate seat to use with the V3 Motion Platform,but my problem is that you cant buy the GT track Platform with the Ultimate seat,The ultimate seat looks really comfy over the standard seat you get with the platform.

So my option is to buy the full setup you have or buy the Gt Ultimate Seat and add the V3 Motion below it,not having the sim cockpit but then using my DIY one i have at the moment.
Don’t buy the GT Ultimate seat, it’s not very comfortable despite looking like it the shape is all wrong. In addition to that it also has a lot of flex and movement/rattle in the seat angle adjuster. You’d be better off buying a real seat for the price.

Upvote 0
Don’t buy the GT Ultimate seat, it’s not very comfortable despite looking like it the shape is all wrong. In addition to that it also has a lot of flex and movement/rattle in the seat angle adjuster. You’d be better off buying a real seat for the price.

Any seats you can suggest? I posted this as my first ever post a few days ago about adding a seat to the V3,i dont have much skills in welding seats to metal plates for them to fit,i dont mind drilling the odd hole.

The original seat in the GT track looks ok like above. Does anyone know the difference between this rig and the Playstation rig? apart from the logo on the headrest? The Playstation one i can pick up fine just now.

This rig though looks amazing,and its quiet,which is the most important to me,so its a definate buy,just looking for some seat suggestions on top of this.

Upvote 0
Any seats you can suggest? I posted this as my first ever post a few days ago about adding a seat to the V3,i dont have much skills in welding seats to metal plates for them to fit,i dont mind drilling the odd hole.

The original seat in the GT track looks ok like above. Does anyone know the difference between this rig and the Playstation rig? apart from the logo on the headrest? The Playstation one i can pick up fine just now.

This rig though looks amazing,and its quiet,which is the most important to me,so its a definate buy,just looking for some seat suggestions on top of this.
@Mascot would be the best person to ask, he has a lovely looking seat with adjustable back attached to his NLR V3.

Upvote 0
I mounted my NRG Prisma seat to my NLRv3 using these Sparco seat mounts.
They bolt directly to the top of the NLRv3 and fit a number of seats.

There are slots on the bottom so that you could fit a narrower seat than the Prisma. However the Prisma is about as wide as it goes. FWIW, I've been very happy with my Prisma for comfort and both back and leg support and have had it for over 6 months now.

seatbrackets_4406.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you for the tip on the Sparco mounting solution. I have wasted a not insignificant amount of time and money on trying to mount a new seat on my NLR V3 (having to purchase everything online with often minimal, if any, product dimensions provided) and this gave me enough confidence to order the Sparco online.

For me, my seat is actually too narrow - but you can reverse the Sparco so should be good for wide and narrow seats.

I think, as you say, it is an expensive solution but does provide adaptability and affords for additional usage (e.g., belt mounting, transducer support). Also, kit like this will last no matter what the rig or seat changes entail.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the tip on the Sparco mounting solution. I have wasted a not insignificant amount of time and money on trying to mount a new seat on my NLR V3 (having to purchase everything online with often minimal, if any, product dimensions provided) and this gave me enough confidence to order the Sparco online.

For me, my seat is actually too narrow - but you can reverse the Sparco so should be good for wide and narrow seats.

I think, as you say, it is an expensive solution but does provide adaptability and affords for additional usage (e.g., belt mounting, transducer support). Also, kit like this will last no matter what the rig or seat changes entail.

You won't be able to reverse them.
I had them spread as far out as they would go and the Prisma was a tight fit!

With a narrower seat you should just be able to slide them both inward to shave off 1.25" of width or so. If they still aren't quite narrow enough I would recommend getting some large 8mm washers and just use them as shims. Barry has done that with his narrower Sparco EVO seat.

Upvote 0
When you say unable to reverse them, what I mean is this (from Sparco website):

"The Aluminum HD side mounts have an added benefit of being able to mount in either direction with the legs facing in or out giving you more vehicle mounting options."

Good tip on the shims - I did see that Barry had used some washers in the review. I can give an update when they arrive to let people know if this might work for them (the seat I have is a locally made Japan racing seat, it is much narrower than most). My problems were due to worrying too much that rails/side mounts were going to be too narrow and too short - turned out they were too wide!

Upvote 0
I don't know how many hours I have on this thing before it gives up the ghost, but I won't sim race without it or something similar again.

This has been my experience as well. I don’t have the traction plus, but have been running the MPv3 with VR and really miss it when I’ve turned it off. I had also been concerned about head tracking, but found it was not an issue at all, even without any compensation (which I’ve not yet even felt the need to try). I don’t know if it makes me faster, but it makes the car feel much more under my control. Mounting initially gave me some headaches, but now that that’s all behind me, I couldn’t be happier.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 88 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 62 6.7%
  • < 5 years